Software
Houzz Logo Print
lkplatow

Need fast answer from bedding experts re: pillow size

17 years ago

I have a queen bed but have always had standard sized pillows. I'm planning to run out today to buy new pillows because ours are pretty beat, and I'm wondering if I should upgrade to queen size. I figure the queen size would span the bed better, but I'm wondering if they will fit in my existing pillowcases - I don't want to have to buy all new linens too. Does anyone know if queen sized pillows fit in "regular" pillowcases? Thanks!

Comments (15)

  • 17 years ago

    I believe that queen pillows are wider than regular sized pillowcases. Measure your pillowcases before you go.

  • 17 years ago

    Unless it's a hard-as-a-rock pillow or one made of memory foam that is kind of rigid, any pillow will squish down, slide into a pillowcase and then just fill the space that's there.

    Also, here's info from some of the sheet packaging on the Bed Bath & Beyond website: Both full and queen sheet sets come with STANDARD size pillowcases; only the King and California kings seem to come with king-size pillowcases.

    So my advice? Don't sweat it. They'll fit.

  • 17 years ago

    I have a queen size bed, with queen size pillows. All the sheet sets I own are queens, with 2 standard size pillow cases. The standard pillow cases fit the queen size pillows just fine. No need to buy anything new!!

  • 17 years ago

    A queen pillow is four inches longer than a standard pillow and may very well stick out of the ends of your standard pillow slips. I for one prefer standard sized piloows on our queen bed. If not I'd have my hubby's pillow in my face most of the night. LOL. Love him to pieces but for some reason to sleep at one end of his pillow with the rest poofed toward me.
    I think they make up better on the bed too. But that's just me.

  • 17 years ago

    I've always had queen size pillows for our queen bed. I think I've only had trouble with one or two sheet sets where the case was a tight fit.

    Oakley, how do you manage to get king size pillows to fit a queen bed? They're six inches longer than a queen. Do you overlap them?

  • 17 years ago

    I am not a 'bedding expert' but I would recommend getting King size pillows for a Queen bed. I have Kings on a Queen. I buy my sheets and pillow cases separate all the time anyway and it is no problem to get Kings for the bed.

  • 17 years ago

    DD has king pillows on her queen bed and they either overlap in the center or hang off the edges.

    I do not like queen size pillows. I think it is a marketing gimmick, albeit one that has stuck around for years. I prefer the look of a standard pillow in a standard pillow case. A queen pillow in a standard pillow case makes the pillow case look skimpy.

  • 17 years ago

    Bbstx, most pillowcases today are slightly over sized to avoid that "skimpy" look,

  • 17 years ago

    Thanks guys. I measured my pillowcases then went to JCP and looked at both sizes. The queen looked enormous--I guessed it would fit in the pillowcases but the ends of the pillowcase wouldn't meet and you'd see some of the pillow. So I ended up getting the standard. Thanks for all the advice!

  • 10 years ago

    I have had a Queen size bed and pillows for 47+ years. Until recently I have always been able to buy sheets with queen size pillowcases. All l I can find is Queen size sheets but with standard size pillowcases. King size comes with King pillowcases but I can't find Queen pillowcases. The size is 20x30 for the pillowcases they're offering and I don't think they will fit my pillows and will look skimpy. I am really frustrated with ALL the companies (JC PENNEY included) also Northern Nights on QVC where I usually purchase my sheets. Any suggestions??

  • 9 years ago

    I also have a queen bed with queen pillows. I bought a set of expensive queen sheets. The pillow cases are standard size. The only way I can keep the cases on the pillows is to pin them shut! I don't understand why the companies refuse to put queen pillow cases with their queen sheets.

  • 8 years ago

    I was trying to find queen pillows and kept seeing the size "jumbo". Never heard of it before. After much googling, I learned jumbo = super standard. And super standard is close to a queen size. I found this chart: Pillow Sizes ChartStandard Pillow Size20" x 26"Super Standard Pillow Size20" x 28"Queen Pillow Size20" x 30"King Pillow Size20" x 36"

  • 5 years ago

    Hi, I have a queen size bed with 3 pillows size 19x29 and 1 king pillow size 44cm x 71cm x5cm. I plan add on Euro Pillow into it but what size I should go to it? Can share and guide me here?


  • 5 years ago

    I have king size pillows against my queen size headboard and they fit perfectly. I have some body pillow cases that I tuck in the ends to fit. I prefer to tuck in the ends so try to get larger cases when I can.

Sponsored
AIS Renovations
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County, Ohio