Software
Houzz Logo Print
lisa_4_gw

work space question...

19 years ago

Just wondering how many of you have a permanant studio. I just have a pile of stuff in the garage I have pull out to a picnic table outside. It's a pain! I am dreaming of a small building where I can keep stuff and work. I want to hear about yours and what to consider if/when I finally get my dream work space.

Comments (12)

  • 19 years ago

    Lisa, my husband has been extremely generous and has given up 3/4 of the shed for me to use as my glass space. He will by buying another one for his lawn equipment soon and then the total thing will belong to me! It is a wooden shed that was here when we bougth this house a few years ago. As my mosaic/stained glass interests grew, my husband offered me more and more space. It had a workbench already but my husband expanded the top surface by securing a larger piece of plywood, then he painted it (which of course is a mess now). Right outside I have a place to grout. My husband corrects me if I call it a shed, he says it's a glass shop. What's so ironic is that this is our downsizized home we just moved into after early retirement, our other home was so large I would have had pleanty of options of space with an oversized garage, 2 extra bedrooms, extremely large porch but I was working rather than mosaicing. I'd rather have my smaller home (less to clean) and my glass shop.

    We renovated our kitchen a few months ago so he put some of the old cabinets together and again made a top for them so I have my ring saw and grinder on that. I can put some supplies in the cabinets below. He made me a few shelves that I store my glass which is in various size plastic containers. I'm happy!

  • 19 years ago

    My work space is in my basement. I have an "L" shaped surface to work on surrounded by shelves and goodies.

    My son's band wants to rehearse down there but there isn't room and I DO deserve a place of my own (after all - it's half MY house!)

  • 19 years ago

    I have a studio(enclosed carport) but its my clay studio tho I do store some mosaic supplies there. I generally mosaic outdoors, I follow the shade around the house and nip and grout under whatever shade will give me the most room at that time of day.

    p

  • 19 years ago

    My space is on the unfinished second floor of our house. It has the studs up for the walls, but no sheetrock, no air either! I made the table I work on. It has a light fixture hanging underneath it. When I'm working on a stained glass window, I use a 1/4" piece of clear glass for the top. This is great for seeing the colors of the glass and how they will relate to each other. Also, I put my pattern underneath my stained glass to cut by.
    When I'm working on mosaic, I have a piece of plywood that I cover the top with.
    I have a newly aquired 4 shelf rack form Sams club. It came with pull out bins. I use these for seperating my small pieces of glass that I use for mosaic.
    I also have a seperate work bench that I keep my grinder on. It has room for storage underneath also. Thats where I keep my pattern books, etc.

  • 19 years ago

    When my son moved to Illinois last year his room became my studio, I love having it in the house. I often end up getting up during the night and work on my stuff then or just when ever and its nice to be so close to everything. The room could be bigger and my hubby could move all the camping equipment out of the closet but hey beggars cant be chooser huh!!!?? I have a table on one wall with my grinder and one the other wall is my taurus ring saw, light table and shleves for glass. Its not as nice as quite a few I've seen pictures of..Hazies, Jaynes, Flaggs...but It works sooo well for me!!!!

  • 19 years ago

    I have a recently renovated "Art Room" that is small with all my "stuff" in it! 8ftx10ft and took the closet doors off and shelving out of it and put an armoir in there, it now works for me...I do have a "art Shed" too!LOL! I "did up" my shed, it's 20ftx18ft, with a another covered area onto it that is 10ftx30ft, to store my "stuff"! There is no heat in there and it is also my DH playroom too so....I mostly use it for storage and in the summer I can open the windows and get a cross breeze and play with my mosaics in there!


    Visit My Photos - 4 Pics






    {{!gwi}}




    Art Room






  • 19 years ago

    Oh to see my dining room table again! lol

    Dh has suggested that I set up a space in the basement but it's not really even a room, just like a hallway behind to finished bedrooms, it currently houses the W&D, a freezer, a rollaway toolbox and boxes and furniture stacked up floor to ceiling... I have no idea how to make space for me in there. I envy anyone with dedicated space. The problem for me is that I like to do pretty big projects (doors) and my house is teeny tiny... lol

  • 19 years ago

    I have the kitchen table Also..and one end of the couch....I kinda spread out!!! When I get going, like yesterday, DH didn't see the kitchen table till dinner time, from 7am!!!

  • 19 years ago

    We live in Fl. What is a basement??? :)
    (I guess the workspace issue is another reason I've put off just jumping in and trying mosaic. Can't figure out WHERE to work. )
    But... there WILL be aplace to work! May just start with the dining room table, too!

  • 19 years ago

    I'm thrilled the weather warmed up here in Michigan! I've got my stuff out in the garage. I have a small laundry room with washer,dryer, furnace, freezer - so no real workspace. This is the first house I've had without a basement! Boy do I miss it (like the house, though).

    In the winter my bedroom is my workspace, but I have to put everything away when I'm done.I don't want DH or the dog steeping on any wayward glass or shards.

  • 19 years ago

    OK, I'm green with envy over everyone's "studio"!
    We're in FL too, fiddlekate, so no basement here either.

    We have 5 kids so I can't spread out anywhere in the house for any length of time. It really hinders any productivity (I mean, mosaic-wise) to have to pack every thing up so often. I NEED to convince my husband of the urgency to get a buidling out back just for me...after all, my sanity is important, yes?? lol Creating clears my brain like nothing else.

  • 19 years ago

    I had a 9x13 shop all my own until about six weeks ago, when we moved across the yard into The Barnhouse. Now my shop is all packed up mostly in boxes, but that's all my Not-Mosaic-Stuff. All my Mosaic Stuff came with me into the barnhouse, so I work now on the dining table. BUT--there is room to expand into more of the barn, and we were talking just this morning about that, and how I want my own room just off the living room with a wide open doorway, so they can watch their movies or whatever and I can work but be near the family. I don't have a grinder, ring saw, or any other heavy equipment, except my scroll saw which is mounted on a table still in the other shop building. Ah, someday...!

Sponsored