Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kevinmp_gw

Update on Master (walls painted)

KevinMP
10 years ago

I thought I'd start over so that as I finish the updates, I can post them this way. I'm trying to decide if I want a basic crown moulding (which I generally don't care for with sloped ceilings, but may look good here), and, as you know, the new Ralph Lauren tartan bed items don't arrive at Bloomingdales for a week or so.

I'm extremely happy with how the green turned out. I actually think it makes the room feel bigger than it did when it was gold, and the furniture looks much better against it as a backdrop. I just need to switch to GE Reveal bulbs so that the yellowness cast by the gold-lined shades is less (it makes the paint look somewhat yellow when it's not in normal light (you can see a bit of that in the pictures)).

This is what the paint really looks like, but it's hard to get pictures because of taking them directly into the light and not wanting the distortion that comes with a flash).

Comments (27)

• mae.nov
    10 years ago

Kevin, I think it looks beautiful. The colour is gorgeous.

• williamsem
    10 years ago

Wow, what a rich color palatte! It looks great.

• musicteacher
    10 years ago

I like that color! It is different, and looks so rich against the white woodwork. I also love your wood floors and that cool window above your door. How did you get such a clean paint line at the ceiling? Very pretty room.

• User
    10 years ago

Looks awesome and can't wait to see the tartan with it. For some reason I think fox hunting, pipes, and a smoking jacket. Love the mirror.

Here is a link that might be useful: The image that came to mind.

• bonniee818
    10 years ago

Love the green....turned out so pretty!!!!! what is the name of the color of paint you used? Thanks!

• pricklypearcactus
    10 years ago

The green is fantastic. I agree that the room looks much improved from the gold. I'm excited to see your new bedding in the room.

• pugga
    10 years ago

Lovely. I liked the gold walls but this is sooo nice.

• TxMarti
    10 years ago

What a pretty room. The paint does add a nice backdrop to your other colors.

• Jess TKA
    10 years ago

It looks so cozy and warm. I can imagine spending lazy mornings curled up under the covers or reading a good book. The green really does look great with the rest of the furnishings in the room.

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    10 years ago

As a 'non-neutral' girl, my favorite shot shows the green of the master, the gold in the hall, and the red of the guest room. LOVE the richness of the colors!

• palimpsest
    10 years ago

I like the true version of the color. Great for a bedroom.

• chiefy
    10 years ago

Gorgeous! That is such a rich color, and I love how it plays off the yellow and the red in the other rooms.

• lynxe
    10 years ago

It looks really, really good. And in a color I wouldn't have ever thought to choose, too, which goes to show that thinking outside the box that is one's head can be a very good thing indeed!

I'm on the side of no crown molding, not that you've asked for our opinions on the matter. But the room looks simple and elegant now. At the same time, there is plenty already going on that gives it a richness, like the curtain fringe, the rug, etc. Also, I think the molding would emphasize the sloped ceiling, so unless that's what you want....Finally, neither the hall nor red room has molding (?)

Regardless of which way you go, congrats on a very successful room.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

That looks wonderful, Kevin. I am always so glad when you post your after pictures! I agree that the view through to the back bedroom showing all your colors is amazing. You do have an eye, don't you?! Congratulations. Can't wait to see it once the RL has arrived.

• PRO
  • schoolhouse_gw
    10 years ago

Love the shade of green. My library has two walls painted a dark green but the shade is darker. I like yours.

• KevinMP
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Glad it's to everyone's liking (or else others are restraining their dislike)! To whomever asked about cutting in by the ceiling, all you need is a step ladder, and a firm bristled, angled brush and to remove (after dipping) the excess paint from the side of the brush that would be close to the ceiling as you paint the wall.

I wanted input on the crown moulding, and, as you can tell from my original post, I'm generally opposed to it with angled ceilings. It would not be as ornate as what I did in my dining room (if you recall that).

• sis2two
    10 years ago

That color is amazing! The whole room looks so cozy.

• Sueb20
    10 years ago

You probably mentioned it elsewhere, but what is the color? I like it a lot.

• Miz_M
    10 years ago

Love it! Perfect. Our office is a deep, olive green, it's one of my favorite paint colors.

Ralph Lauren is my idol, so I always love seeing your room, and can't wait to see your bedding.

• texasgal47
    10 years ago

Kevin, I loved the gold, but those green walls really do show your furnishings, and accessories, to better advantage. It's always such a pleasure to following your make-overs. Thanks for sharing.

• KevinMP
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Benjamin Moore Colonial Verdigris (historic Williamsburg) (Aura matte).

• citywoman2012
    10 years ago

Wall color perfection.......bedroom beautiful
    fur-baby on bed.....priceless!!

• busybee3
    10 years ago

the color looks great!
    and, imo, crown will really finish off and 'polish' the room. gotta have it in that room!!

• sameboat
    10 years ago

It's beautiful. Really sophisticated. I love it.

• ellendi
    10 years ago

I vote no crown molding due to the angled ceiling. I think it visually would draw attention to it, but not in a good way.

• Oakley
    10 years ago

Kevin, would you marry me? :) As another non-neutral person, you nailed it. Ralph would be proud. lol.

No to the crown moulding. I don't think it would even be noticed because of all the beauty under the ceiling.

Don't forget to show pictures once the bedding comes in!