Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
texaswild

New Tile Saw - New Tess

texaswild
15 years ago

Bought a lighter weight tile saw, and here's what I've been doing w/it the last two afternoons. All washed in Dawn, rinsed in vinegar water, and drying. Gonna be 97 degrees today - think they'll dry???

newly sawed tess drying

Comments (18)

• shrty411
    15 years ago

Wow, you've been busy..what's the project you have in mind??

• bamasusanna
    15 years ago

Dang slow! Must be something big?
    What brand of tile saw did you get? I'm looking into getting one after the move.

• texaswild
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sitting here waiting for a place in CA to call me back on freight for Penny Rounds I just ordered, so I got time to play computer. No project in mind for this stuff - just wanted to increase my stash. These need nipping into shape and organizing in containers, so there's lots of work left to do. It's a 7" and got it at Harbor Frieght for $150. Went for the $80, but this one looked better. Getting ready to start a shovel head for a gift to my best friend. She LOVES yard art. Made one for myself - hoping to do a better job on this one. I caught GYPSIE's slump. I go in/out of slumps, and I'm in right now.

• Calamity_J
    15 years ago

Um, where's the saw pic Girlie!?! We are on the same mind meld as I was just thinkin' of sawin' up some tile I have to smaller pcs, that I wanna do my kitchen floor with. I'm still thinking about it ever since I saw Chickeemamma do her front steps in a real cool small squares pattern. Or was it LadyRonnie.....

• Calamity_J
    15 years ago

Here is my inspiration for the floor, but I'll use ceramic or porceline for the kitchen...but I will be doing this idea at the front door inside and out too!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Slate steps

• nicethyme
    15 years ago

thats inspiring... maybe one day I'll go dig out the tile saw and get after my plate stacks... maybe I should clean my work area first... (psst, we all know I won't actually do that till I need the space for another project right? ) LOL

• Calamity_J
    15 years ago

OH NICE!!! Truer words have never been spoken!!! Just the other day DH said...um, Jane...your worktable has been quite a mess for a "while" now.... one glare and he backed away slowly!

• klinger
    15 years ago

Slow you have been busy, wow that'll really add to the stash for sure. Maybe this will help you get out of your slump and get fired up again.
    Cindy

• daisyme
    15 years ago

Slow, Wow! I wish I had a saw. What a great thing to get done. Would you please tell me about washing in Dawn and rinsing in vinegar water? I'm forever reading new things that seem everyone else knows..

• texaswild
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Put them in two five-gallon buckets for later work. GEESH - mosaicing w/shards is work! DAISY: I used the Dawn and vinegar water cuz FLAG told me that's what she uses. She probably mixed them in one pot, but I thought they'd be cleaner w/two rinses. There's still white ceramic spots on them, but as I use them, it'll be easily removed. Wonder how long they'll sit in these buckets b/f I find a use for them. I'm putting together an assemblage/mosaic piece right now, so I might use some of them.

• texasfern
    15 years ago

LOL! I do the same thing, but without the wet saw. I sure need one of those.
    I sit an nip and sort, nip and sort.
    The sad thing is I usually end up with it all in one bucket anyway as I dig around and use it!
    Slow I saw your slump mentioned on another thread. My take on slumps is that it's just a cooling off period so the jucies can really flow once it's over.
    Sounds good to me!
    LOL!
    If that is the case, I've stored up for a tidal wave!

• stjohnsgypsy
    15 years ago

Calamity....WOW!! WOW WOW!!!

I've had a wet saw since my bday in May.......I still haven't used it..........I ain't right I tell ya!

• daisyme
    15 years ago

I got an answer to one of my questions by just reading on this morning. I guess when you cut with your saw, it's a wet saw and creates slump that sticks to the tile. Then you wash it off. OK! Next question then is...can you use this saw on plates to make small pieces? IF not, which saw would anyone recommend....my DH is getting involved and asking questions. I'd best jump on this idea soon. LOL

• Calamity_J
    15 years ago

Gypsy, I was like that with my ring saw...DH does not know of what I'm plotting...poor poor man....

• texaswild
    Original Author
    15 years ago

GYPSIE - didn't you get the ring saw??? I know several on here use their ring saws for cutting plates, but I save mine for cutting heart shapes and other intricate shapes in glass. I DO use the wet saw for shaving off the burrs on the plate rounds after I break off the pie shapes I cut. You can almost use it as a grinder DAISY: You can get small on this saw, but I tend not to do the REALLY small stuff. Cut your pie shapes very small, if you like - I've cut some as small as 1/4", then use the nippers to cut into individual tiles. You'll learn by doing. Yes, they get very dirty, and there's tons of sludge, which needs to be cleaned out regularly - about every dozen or so plates, to keep your water clean. NT used that sludge in a project, I believe. TX - LOL - get busy, girlie. Once you start, you can't stop. I've just finished sorting into color buckets. I'll nip as I need them. I AM low on inspiration right now. Even though I'm working on a mixed media/assemblage mosaic, I'm not feeling it's great like some of my projects. Some projects go together so fast, and you're so inspired, you can't wait to glue one down to get on w/the next. This one is slow enough that I've cleaned out a corner of the workshop. The whole room needs a cleaning/organizing, but I don't have enough containers and shelves. Those folding shelves were Suzie's and they're gone, and my stuff is on the floor. WHAT A MESS.

• Louisiana_greetings
    15 years ago

look at it this way- there are "good" messes and there are bad messes, i would tend to say we are the GOOD messes :-)

• stjohnsgypsy
    15 years ago

Slow...I got a Gryphon? Not sure what it does...LOL.....but I got it! But it's supposed to be able to cut through a rock! Ordered it from Delphi on sale. Well, husband did. Stange, huh, how I prefer a saw to a piece of jewelry these days!

• Calamity_J
    15 years ago

Diamonds are a girls best friend, except now it's Tools, not Jewels!!!

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio