Software
Houzz Logo Print
bathdilemna

Countertop corners

13 years ago
I have a very similar set up in my almost complete master bath renovation. After months of waiting, the counter tops were just installed. We have other matching marble pieces in the bathroom such as wall cap, shower and door threshold. I requested standard eased edges and wanted the classic squared edge corners. One sink top is against the wall, drop down vanity in center and other sink top is not against a wall. All corners are squared except the 3 corners not against the wall were rounded or a "radius" corner as they call it. I am not happy as this is not the look I envisioned at all, and everything else in the bathroom has the squared corner. The only way to remedy this would be to rip out the counter tops and start over which I really don't think is feasible. Am I making too big a deal of this?
Hill Country Contemporary · More Info

Comments (7)

  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I don't think so ... the devil is in the details, especially in new home construction. Small details are what separate good homes and spaces from the great ones. For instance in this bathroom we planned the wainscoting to go past the mirror brackets so that everything looked "weighted" properly.
  • 13 years ago
    This was not new home construction. We did a major renovation and totally gutted and enlarged our existing bathroom and closet space. The project is completed now and the "minor" things I notice that didn't turn out perfectly the way i envisioned can't be changed and my friends all tell me these are things no one else would ever notice unless I point them out and that everything is beautiful. I am just one of those people that are a little too much of a perfectionist!
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I put new home constructions and major renovations into the same category. Your friends are right ... but they also were not the ones going through the process nor were they the ones spending the money. I would venture a guess that this will not be the last time you embark on a project, find a builder or remodeler that listens to what you want ... and maybe even more importantly, an architect that documents all of those things! But, I am also sure your home is amazing ... so congrats!
  • 13 years ago
    Thanks! This was the first time I have ever spent this large a sum of money on a renovation AND the first time ever hiring a contractor since I have a do it yourself husband who has done most of all of our other projects. This was the largest scale project we have ever done so this was out of his league! All in all, the end result really is amazing and beautiful. And yes, we already are thinking about our next project :)
  • 11 years ago
    I just came across this discussion and am curious what you decided to do @bathdilema. Did you have the counters redone? If not, do the rounded corners still bother you? We just had our marble countertops installed in our kitchen today and I also wanted the eased edge with squared corners but the fabricators made a mistake and did a 3/8" round on all of them. After all the detail work that has gone into planning such a big remodel it was a disappointment when they weren't done the way I had specified, but at the same time I didn't wanted to make a huge deal over something seemingly minor.
  • 11 years ago
    Hi amccleskey, No I was not going to have the counters redone after they were installed. Like you, I was upset at first since I envisioned and wanted them a particular way but honestly, unless you point it out to anyone or really look closely, you won't notice it. It has been 2 years since my bathroom renovation and I can't remember the last time I paid attention to the edges :) You are probably a perfectionist like me so things like this bother us. Looking back on the entire project, I think I over-analyzed every minute detail but I had never done anything to this scale before. I'm glad I researched and paid so much attention to all of the details but realize now some of the little things really aren't worth agonizing over. I'm sure your kitchen is beautiful and hope you enjoy it for many years to come!