Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
haziemoon

Clay Tiles I've Been Working On

haziemoon
16 years ago

I got a few gift cards for Christmas, and was so excited

to be able to get tons of stuff to start playing with

sculpy and making my own tiles. Here's a few of them.

This is so fun! I'm hoping they will inspire my next project.

{{!gwi}}

Hazie

Comments (110)

• gretch1964
    16 years ago

OH my gosh, i love the trunk and those tiles are to die for. Dang i need to go and get me some of that stuff to start making some. Oh gosh bf will just love that. LOL.. Between metal and glass i need more room. LOL

• chickeemama
    16 years ago

Hazie you should post a more recent wip for the trunk...it is just so cool with all those tiles!!!

• andrea_2
    16 years ago

What kind of glass are you using for fill on the trunk? The colors that are there now look so good with your tiles! What if you used crash glass to preserve the color? I wonder if it would be too busy, though. Hmmm

must.....resist....clay...

• nicethyme
    16 years ago

uh oh! Chickee let the trunk out of the bag... you've made progress and you're keep'n us in the dark!!!! post up Haziemoon!!!

• chickeemama
    16 years ago

Oh crud....didnt mean to say something I wasnt supposed to!!!!!! Nice you are just to danged observant!!!!

• LinLee
    16 years ago

Hey! Hazie's holding back?

• shrty411
    16 years ago
  • haziemoon
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ok....I wasn't going to post a pic till it was grouted, and I need to go find a bronze paint to mix with the grout still.But here you go. It's pretty BLAH! It needed to be manly, since it's my husbands. So I wasn't able to bling it up like I wanted.

{{!gwi}}
    You can kinda see the 2 grout colors I was playing with.

Hazie

• bamasusanna
    16 years ago

Oh man, I LOVE it. Very "old worldy".
    Why not do a wash over a dark brown grout with gold paint? I'd think that would give you that bronze look you're after.

• cindiloo
    16 years ago

WOW!! I've been staying away from this sculpy thread as I don't want to confuse my poor brain with something else to learn just yet, but I just had to comment on your trunk.
    That is absolutly HANDSOME! Very nice, Hazie, you are so talented and a GREAT inspirtation to us newbies!

• Shades_of_idaho
    16 years ago

OH Hazie your chest turned out SO PERFECT!!! Your work is always so precise. I love the look to it. I think it is blingy in a manley sort of way. So does hubby like it?? I just saved a picture of it for inspiration. That is really nice!!!

Chris

• LinLee
    16 years ago

My kind of BLAH!
    It would fit perfectly at my house.
    I love it.
    Linlee

• texaswild
    16 years ago

Oh, yeah, HAZIE - real Blah! You should be ashamed of yourself showing us something so blah! N.O.T. You l'il heifer - been holding out on us. That is your prettiest YET, I do believe. You take the cake. Your work gets better w/each project, if that's possible. That is absolutely professional work! I so wish I could see it in person. I'll bet your DH is thrilled pink. Or, has he seen it yet? Absolutely gorgeous!

• cacbeary
    16 years ago

LOVE the box! Very manly. Your DH is going to love this.

• crackpotannie
    16 years ago

Beautiful hazie,he will love it..you're tiles are outstanding..where do you buy your stamps?/

• lyndalu
    16 years ago

Oh, Hazie, the tiles you made are absolutely to die for. I love, love, love them.

And the trunk - WOW! Just amazing. And absolutely masculine!

Beautiful, beautiful work. I'm in awe of your talent.

I love these tiles so much, and you so inspire me want to make some, but I just have to keep telling myself NO, NO, NO. I can't possible start something else. I have to use up some of the stuff I already have!!! It will be interesting to see how long I can hold out. :)

• nicethyme
    16 years ago

Ah be still my heart!!!!! I LOVE IT!
    OMG! just amazing

I agree with Bama, brown with a wash of gold would work great! dang that's beautiful!

• sunshine_funshine
    16 years ago

It has a very old world look to it. Very masculine and just very fine indeed!! I see the diff. grouts you're working with and agree with nt and bama on the gold wash. Wow wow wow!!!! So awesome!

• haziemoon
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks you guys...
    I didn't get into town today to get any paint, so I guess
    the grouting is on hold again. The gold I have is way too yellow.

Annie....The stamps I have been using I found at Michael's and Hobby Lobby. The scrapbook section had hundreds!
    I must have stood there for over an hour trying to decide
    which ones I could live without!

Hazie

• nicethyme
    16 years ago

about stamps??? are you using rubber ones? all I had were foam rubber and clearly can't push into this harder that h*ll clay! LOL luckily Dh had metal letter stamps that he gave me and I did everything else so far with jewelry imprints... I LOVE your celtic designs...

• haziemoon
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Nice..the stamps are the hard rubber ones.

• chickeemama
    16 years ago

Yeah Hazie...Im glad you posted those pics it looks so fantastic!!! Cant wait to see it grouted.

Yup this is a great chest. Maybe DH can make you one to look like it so you can do the girlie version??!!

I still need to get that Laurie Mika (sp??) book, I just hadnt had the chance to check amazon.

Again it looks WONDERFUL..and I hope your not mad at me for being a blabber mouth!!!!

Donna

• nicethyme
    16 years ago

Donna, if you want to hold off. I'll send it onto you after I peruse it! Linlee is sending me her copy, then I'll ship it on to you.

we'll make it the forum copy! lol

• chickeemama
    16 years ago

Thank you Nice that would be cool but ya know what...I dont think I can wait that long. Being as impatient as I am and I think it just might be one of those books that I will want to keep for reference. The book I had offered you had some neat things in it but it wasnt one of those books that you go back to time after time. I think the Laurie Mika book will be to me though.

That was such a nice offer though. It still might make it as a forum copy though to someone else!!!!

• hrsg
    16 years ago

Hazie
    This has such an old world feel to the piece. It is gorgeous. Your work keeps evolving.

• shrty411
    16 years ago

Oh, Hazie, I LOVE it!! I think you are right on about the grout!! Looks like it should hold some fantastic treasure!!

Maria

• chickeemama
    16 years ago

Did you get to do any more on this yet HAZIE???

• diytrying
    16 years ago

Hazie, that is gorgeous! Very rich old world feel, not blah at all. Hrsg, I thought your tiles on your sconces were dishes; great job. Repeat to myself 50 times daily; "I don't even get anything done with glass and china, cannot explore something new." Have to admit, I'm tempted after "we" had to make a polymer clay church for Spanish last year.

• andrea_2
    16 years ago

Blah? HA! Hardly! No, it doesn't have a lot of colors or any rhinestones, but it's understated elegance. It reminds me of tortoise shell. I think it looks fabulous!

• rosemarythyme
    16 years ago

I've been waiting for you to grout this! Ok, so you're taking a break. Your DH's box is over the top beautiful--er, I mean, HANDSOME! Very masculine and earthy. WooHoo!

• nicethyme
    16 years ago

somewhere she said she grouted it.... WHERE'S THE PICTURES?????

HAZIE????

• bianchi3
    16 years ago

WOW! Beautifully breath taking trunk.
    But break is over, grouting time!!!! LOL
    Bianchi

• rchovey
    16 years ago

That trunk is fabulous! Now I want to make tiles!

• crystal01
    16 years ago

WOW WOW WOW!!! Beautiful!

• haziemoon
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I'm finally done grouting and painting the grout!

I painted and painted and mixed paints, and this is where I am today. May play with another grout color later. But for now it's done!

Hazie

• nicethyme
    16 years ago

It... IS... PERFECT....

Absolutely STUNNING! wow!

• chickeemama
    16 years ago

Oh my...that is awesome. I LOVE IT!!! I think your grout color is perfect. Dang you just do such great stuff!! What does DH think of it???

• bamasusanna
    16 years ago

Geez whiz hazie! That is sooo perfect! Your tile color matches the latch! I'm not sure your husband deserves this!

• rchovey
    16 years ago

Absolute perfection! I love everything about it.

• haziemoon
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I guess he likes it! I was waiting to see if he was going to put his stuff back in it, and put it back under the bed, where it was! But he asked if her could put it in the living room somewhere. It wasn't a surprise gift, he gave me the box and helped me pick the glass color.

Hazie

• shrty411
    16 years ago

Wow, that is really nice!! I love the look of it!! Glad it didn't go back under the bed!!LOL

Maria

• texaswild
    16 years ago

Well what a collaboration. He found the box and chose the color and you did the work. I think this must be your prettiest piece so far, if it were possible to pick a favorite. Magnificient is the word that comes to mind. You just get better and better w/each project. Your stuff is so gallery worthy. Have you thought of marketing yet? They are very sellable!!!

• Shades_of_idaho
    16 years ago

OH WOW. I am STUNNED at how BEAUTIFUL your box is!!! It looks smooth as silk. The colors are so pretty and I LOVE the grout color!!!

I am amazed at how much your hand made clay tiles look so much like metal!!!

I would NOT put this back under the bed either. MEN sometimes they just have a way with words. NOT!!! Hehehehe

GREAT JOB!!

Chris

• crackedincolorado
    16 years ago

That is just gorgeous Hazie! Thanks for the inspiration! Now I know what to do with all that pc sitting in the craft room! And tomorrow is 50% off day at the thrift store!

• haziemoon
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Slow....I'm really starting to lean towards selling. The gallery that wants my stuff, takes 40%...so that has put me off for a while. But I'm really starting to think about other options. My daughter thinks I need to try to make her a better deal. She has said my stuff was front window quality......so my daughter is urging me to make a better deal with her. I may just try and see..... I have a hard time giving anyone 40%. The Base and supplies are much more
    than any of their other stuff .. Most are Canvas's and paint...Pottery.. small sculptures ...My bases are spendy ..
    I think about a tea set...I pay $45.00 for the set...
    then $30 for the glass....my time..glue ..grout, and it looks like I'm trying to screw someone! then add 40% to that! I now notice how over priced stuff is there..and the reason is the 40% commission! So ebay might work for me.
    Just looking into it. So impressed you thought it was worthy of selling! that lights a fire under my butt!!!hahaha

Hazie

• squirrellycanadian
    16 years ago

I LOVE how that turned out, it's beautiful!!
    I agree with the 40% being too much, everybody wants a commission! Wish I could find a place to sell a few things locally and keep all the money for myself!

• fiddlekate
    16 years ago

I think Slow's "Magnificient!" says it! It's a wonderful piece! I'm very much in awe of your work!

• texaswild
    16 years ago

Yeah, that's what turned me off the gallery selling. The market in this area just isn't gonna pay what one wants for this kind of stuff PLUS the commission. I felt cheated on the few pieces I sold, so took mine out. 'course, my house is getting pretty full, so I suppose I'll be filling up my walls, then start on the walls/door facings, and then the furniture. That should keep me busy for a few more years. THEN there's the gardens that I can play in w/this stuff. I'm not worried I'll run out of some place to put it.

• nicethyme
    16 years ago

Hazie, with your quality... you should look for juried art fairs.

• PantherFL
    16 years ago

This really turned out nice. I'm glad your DH wants to show it off by keeping it out in "public".

As far as selling, do you have many arts & craft shows/fairs in your area? We have some big ones, but also some held by civic associations, churches, women's clubs, etc. that aren't such a high entry fee. Then you could just pay the booth rental, and not have to pay someone else commission. Of course, you have to sit there all weekend, but it would beat paying someone else to sell it for you. I do realize that shops have to pay their own rent, a/c, electricity, wages, etc. and that all adds up to quite a bit of markup when it isn't a volume business. But it sure does add to the cost (or lower your pay, whichever).

Sponsored