Software
Houzz Logo Print
aes107

Need help with bedroom decor

11 years ago
last modified: 11 years ago
Hi all, so I'm kind of stuck in a bedroom rut where I have an idea of what I want, but don't know how to go about getting there. I've attached some pictures which may be hard to see because of all the light coming in through the skylight, but I hope this gives you an idea of what I'm working with. Please excuse the bed -- I stripped everything except for the shams. The walls are painted in Revere Pewter with the exception of the wall behind the bed -- I forget the name of that shade but it's a little darker. I went for Revere Pewter thinking it would be a taupey color, but it seems to be a cold, sterile gray in this room. Do you think it's the wrong color? I feel like it limits me to cool gray tones and whites (I'm looking to go neutral) but maybe I'm wrong. I just really want to figure out a way to achieve the look I'm going for, which is a neutral, tranquil bedroom, without it looking so cold and sterile and blah. I've attached photos of the actual room along with a picture of rooms I like. I currently have the neutral chevron bedding that you see on the shams but need to replace it because the buttons ripped off, and I'm thinking of trading these curtains in for some ivory or white or taupe panels. Also, I know the picture I posted has ivory and white bedding, but I don't know if that's too boring with an ivory headboard. Maybe the all neutral look isn't a good idea, all I know is that I'm lost!

Comments (36)

  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Hi. Nice and pretty - you have some of soft blue going and keep it...
    misty aqua?
    Whistler Mountain Modern · More Info

    Coyuchi® Oval Matelassé Coverlet, Misty Aqua, Full/Queen · More Info
    aes107 thanked everdebz
  • 11 years ago
    Thank you both!! @KarenDumont, I left the nightstand out of the shot by accident -- here it is! Re: the chair -- I've been looking for a chair but I'm not sure what color to go with. I was thinking ivory or gray (I love the attached tufted one from West Elm) but I'm not sure since I've been worried about the room being too boring. Plus I'm not sure how much tuft is too much tuft for one room! I'd love for the whole color scheme to look more taupe, but Revere Pewter seems to look like a cold hard gray on these walls. It's the same thing with a rug...I'm not sure what color or size to go with until I figure out the rest of the room!
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Open -Their display photos show something similar and you're not far off [possibly your bedskirt has a bit too much yellow which good for floors not so much with walls?] -- bedskirt ivory and less creamy.
    GDF Studio Wyoming Queen Button Tufted Fabric Headboard, Ivory Leather · More Info
    aes107 thanked everdebz
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    All neutral is great...Every element makes a difference though and that your inspiration photo has dark flooring makes it to me a bit more elegant. Those are 1st photo - buy new drapes with white bedding, not boring. I'd keep your color options low, to about 2 neutrals --- reverep. [dark to light] and headboard color...sheen.

    If you keep your nice patterned curtains which are 'serene' try soft bluish bedding / see second photo has blues and rpewter walls... interesting mixes...
    Personally I'd leave the other tuft out.
    Selkirk - Traditional Elegance · More Info

    Ravenna Craftsman Living Room · More Info
  • 11 years ago
    I could definitely keep the shams, but the duvet has to go unfortunately :( it was this one from one kings lane -- I LOVE it but the buttons and the fabric the buttons were sewn to ripped in less than 6 months! I'm thinking the curtains might be making the room more gray than I'd like...I'm thinking a solid ivory or white or taupe panel. Can you tell I'm dying to make this room taupe somehow? Maybe I'm thinking of more of a greige? Basically, whatever you'd call that color in the pictures I attached.
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    In the last picture you posted, it looks like your headboard is ivory-not white. I do think ivory looks beautiful with grays-Found some more pictures that I thought might help give you ideas on how to pull it all together. I would keep a very neutral and muted palette of the ivories and grays. Sea green or light blues would be pretty in the mix too. West Elm has a great selection of pillows and rugs in those particular colors. I like the gray lamp and think gray accents will look great in your space. Remember this is you bedroom, so calming and relaxing colors are the way to go! Also, think the print on your existing curtains work well with both your headboard and paint color! Also, the revere pewter is much warmer than the gray in the photo I posted....just wanted you to see how beautiful gray and beige look together.
    aes107 thanked User
  • 11 years ago
    Thanks so much! I don't know why I'm so against color haha but I do love what you've posted here :) I've been considering repainting, but maybe I can somehow make the Revere Pewter look warmer than it does now.
  • 11 years ago
    Your bedroom is beautiful. You're totally on the right track. A couple of tweaks, I think. Hang on.
    aes107 thanked groveraxle
  • 11 years ago
    More texture and contrast. Stay in the warm neutrals, even with the gray. Burlap or linen drapes, Mongolian lamb pillow, crisp ivory bedding...
    aes107 thanked groveraxle
  • 11 years ago
    Wow this is great! Thank you so much :)
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Lighting acts a functional and decorative piece! Consider adding some new lighting fixtures, to your space and you'll be surprised at how much style it adds to the room.

    http://www.barnlightoriginals.com/
  • 11 years ago
    Great suggestions! Groveraxle, what program do you use?
  • 11 years ago
    It looks like you don't have enough room for a bedside table on each side. Is this correct?
  • 11 years ago
    Will the bed fit between the two lovely windows with arches above? Where the TV is now?
  • 11 years ago
    I agree with you on the draperies. I would go with different. I love the beam. Is that the only one? Can you give us the measurements of your bedroom?
    aes107 thanked sandradclark
  • 11 years ago
    I'm sorry, all I am doing is asking questions. I need to get your answers in order to give you more informed suggestions
    aes107 thanked sandradclark
  • 11 years ago
    That's okay, I appreciate the help! The tv is on the bureau in front of the bed, pictured here
  • 11 years ago
    Somehow I don't know the measurements of the room...oops. And yes that's correct about the bedside table...there's really only room for one. I suppose I could have fit two if I got much smaller ones, but for now I'm stuck with the big one!
  • 11 years ago
    I'll get back to you on the measurements @sandradclark!
  • 11 years ago
    Thanks
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    I can see your bed centered on the arched windows wall. Carry off-white drapes behind the bed clear across the whole wall. Use grommet tops & hang them between the arched portion & the normal window. Use the same type of drapes on the other windows from the same height to the floor but just over the windows themselves. Then you can add two smallish bedside tables on either side of the bed. Make them different. Adds more interest.
  • 11 years ago
    I love this idea, but unfortunately the headboard is wider than the space between the two windows. Thank you for sharing this awesome idea though!

    I think the biggest thing to tackle for me is the bedding. I'm thinking of a pintuck duvet, but that may be too much texture against the tufted headboard. I know I want to do taupes, ivory, and beige. I feel like a white duvet is so boring but all the pictures I have pinned have a white duvet, so I guess I have my answer!
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    i would add texture to the wall with tv by using wallpaper. also hang TV instead
    u can then reflect the texture to the wall over the bed
  • 11 years ago
    I think the pintuck duvet could be very pretty as in the pictures you and groveraxle posted. I like the gold drapes and the gray chair she added to the picture in your room. All the colors she used-grays, ivories, and golds worked well together!
    aes107 thanked User
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    i think this kind of wallpaper would work for u
    aes107 thanked User
  • 11 years ago
    I honestly think that u should paint it verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry soon.
  • 11 years ago
    I love your choices so far. I think you just need a rug under the lower half of the bed. Here's a pic on how to position the rug. By no means am I suggesting you get a brown rug.
    Classic Coastal Renovation · More Info
    aes107 thanked er612
  • 11 years ago

    So the only progress I've made it taking down the curtains I had up :( I know I need longer ones, but have no idea what color to go with, as I'm waiting to figure out my bedding first. Does anyone have any ideas or specific product recommendations? I feel like I need to start with bedding. I love the chevron duvet I have on there now, but the buttons have fallen off, and I think it might be a little blah in this room with the gray walls and ivory headboard -- I also know that I need a quilt or coverlet to get a more layered look instead of just throwing a duvet on the bed. I love the neutral look in the pictures above, but not sure if it will be boring in this room. I don't like a ton of color, but am open to ideas.

  • PRO
    11 years ago

    I have a blog post that may help you out.

    http://timothyriversinteriors.com/2015/04/28/the-secret-to-creating-a-killer-master-bedroom/

    If you have specific questions feel free to contact me timothyriversinteriors@gmail.com

    Happy Designing!

    aes107 thanked Timothy Rivers Interiors
  • 11 years ago

    Hi there :) still looking for help here with the duvet...I've removed the curtains as well. Thank you!

  • 11 years ago
    How about adding Navy Blue Denim comforters? Too casual? If not, Dillard's carries them.
    I agree that you need a rug that fits about two thirds under the bed.
  • 11 years ago

    Thank you @leehudd! I'm opting for more of a neutral look, but I agree I need a rug. I think I'm waiting to figure out the bedding before I do anything else, which may be backwards, but needless to say I'm stuck! I pasted some pictures above of the kind of looks I like, but am open to ideas.

  • 11 years ago

    aes107-from the picture that you posted a while back, it looks like you want to achieve a very soft & calm feeling to the room with neutral colors. I would use your inspirational picture to help guide you. What about a white duvet cover with an ivory coverlet? Search Pottery Barn. They have some really pretty bedding.

    Here is your inspiration photo along with another one you might like.


  • 11 years ago

    This duvet cover is from Pottery Barn and would look so pretty with your wall color.