Software
Houzz Logo Print
sherrym78218

HELP ME - I MADE A BIG OVERSIGHT IN SHOWER DESIGN! AGH.

11 years ago
Okay, I know it's minor and there are much worse things going on in the world but who other than you Houzzers could possibly understand and give advice? I'm doing a bath remodel - my first major remodel project and I didn't palm out the tile design very well. So, the glass mosaic banner in the shower is 75" off the floor. Didn't think about shower rod placement. Just told tile layer to put it where he thought it looked best and gave him just a general idea. And, we raised the shower head - by a lot. Probably too much. The bathroom is for my 14 year old son who is tall already and will probably be over 6 feet. And I didn't take the time to really research and think about these things.
Anyway, so where do I put the shower curtain rod? If I put it right below the mosaic it will be fine for the standard 72" shower curtain. But the shower head will then be above the curtain. Is that a big deal? I don't think water will spray out over it because of the way it's facing down.
The mosaic is 6" in height. So if I put it above the mosaic then I have to try and find the extra long curtain of 84". They do make them but they are harder to find. And I kind of like the idea of the mosaic showing. You know?
But will it look odd to have the shower head above the curtain? The guy is coming back tomorrow to drill holes in the tile to put up the curtain rod and I'm perplexed. And kicking myself for not planning this out better. Oh and if it makes a difference, I have a curved double rod shower curtain!
Thanks guys for your input!

Comments (28)

  • 11 years ago
    Here are more photos!
  • 11 years ago
    Put the rod higher than the spout and mosaic. You can always get a custom longer shower curtain.
  • 11 years ago
    Don't drill the holes yet. Can you get by using a spring pole to give you more time to decide.
  • 11 years ago
    just add a length to the shower curtain by adding a piece of a compatible shower curtain in a complimentary color...decorators use this trick all the time on drapes rather than buying custom.
  • 11 years ago
    Thanks for your input! So I guess both of you agree I need to put the rod above the mosaic? And it doesn't matter that you won't be able to see the mosaic then, unless you pull back the curtain?
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    instal clear glass shower doors
  • 11 years ago
    Pyramid - I just can't afford that right now. I had thought of it though. Thanks!!
  • 11 years ago
    Diana - just curious. How much did the doors cost? Maybe we can get by with a tension rod and curtain until I can afford glass doors!
  • 11 years ago
    I would not put glass shower doors. They require constant maintenance.
  • 11 years ago
    Alicejean - that's my other dilemma. We have really hard water here so would need to clean them every day to keep them clean and free of mineral build-up. Not likely teenage son will do that!
  • 11 years ago
    Alice Jean, can you explain the constant maintenance needed for glass doors?
    Are you referring to cleaning only...with or with out squeegee ? I am about to get a frameless set, so I am curious.
    Thanks.
  • 11 years ago
    You can have a slide bar installed, that works with your existing shower head system. It let's you put the shower head at any height you wish. All the plumbing supply places have them or Home Depot etc. We find it very convenient when the shower is used by people of different heights.
  • 11 years ago
    Sunnydrew, go for it, you won't regret it. I hear a lot about maintenance, but truly about 10 seconds for a quick squeege wipe down and you're good to go. Always looks good and no messy curtain to deal with.
  • 11 years ago
    What about the treatment to the glass to help keep it clean? Is that worth the extra $
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Sherry: We don't have doors. We actually have a one piece fixed glass panel (frameless) with a satin nickel square bolt at top and one at bottom. Very unobtrusive and minimalist. And having glass is absolutely zero maintenance. I literally spray this glass spray (that is sold specifically for shower doors-- I pay $12 for a bottle of it that lasts me 6 months-) right after I take a shower and then squeegee it. Squeegee cost about $10 at the Container Store. It literally takes me 30 seconds-- and that's if I'm super slow. . And my shower door is gleaming and spotless. That's the maintenance. That's it. It takes me longer to wash my hair. If you want a door (not just a fixed panel , you can have that, too (frameless), but we had a fixed panel put in.

    And, yes; the glass was also treated which makes the water bead-- and that makes a difference, too-- and worth the money.

    At any rate, we lived with the shower curtain and temporary tension rod for a few months. HATED it, and it was a daily reminder of why shower curtains are so awful. The fixed panel cost about $900 as I remember. My tiler thought we paid too much, but I went to a local place that does a fantastic job-- and this is all they do. I may have paid more than I needed to, but they did a perfect job. And it is possible that, oddly enough, a fixed panel might cost more than a hinged door-- also depends on where you live, I suspect.

    Bottom line: "Constant maintenance" of shower doors is 30 seconds if you're moving like molasses-- spray, squeegee. That's it. And you don't even have to do it everyday unless you want. I typically do it every other day. Seriously so not a big deal. Even if your son won't do it, you can go in and spend 30 seconds doing it. It's just not an issue. So so so SO much less work than taking down a shower curtain and liner and washing that mold off-- you know-- the kind that never comes off at the bottom of the curtain-- and then putting it all back up-- replacing liner every few months-- etc. UGH. Hate that.

    Seriously-- live with the temporary tension rod and curtain for a while, and you'll see how awful it is.
  • 11 years ago
    Car wax on the glass works
  • 11 years ago
    Thank you Diana doe,your input. I really appreciate it. I have an existing tub so the doors would have to be sliding doors I think which I'm not real crazy about. We've had a tension curtain rod up there for years so I know the hassles. But you convinced me to wait so I don't do something I regret !!
  • 11 years ago
    Partim - that's actually a really good idea. I had no idea that even existed! Thank you!!
  • 11 years ago
    Sherry: Our shower is over an existing tub as well. This is one reason we chose the fixed panel, though we could have had a fixed panel and then a hinged door that opened (not sliding). We just wanted a more minimalist look. It works really well. You can always have a company come over and take a look and tell you what they can do. The place we got ours from, they have a showroom so you can see everything that's available to you. Had I known shower doors/panels are not the shower doors of old-- I would have done this a long time ago. :)

    Let us know what happens! Good luck.
    Sherry thanked dbh
  • 11 years ago
    I really don't see how the shower head above the curtain height is an issue at all. I have a shower in one bathroom where the shower head is above the shower curtain height.... and there has never been even a slight issue with water splashing out.
    Sherry thanked Kivi
  • 11 years ago
    Thanks again to everyone for their ideas. I love this place! Anyway, I'm going to put up a tension rod until I can decide what to do. Drilling holes in the newly laid tile wasn't something I was ready to do yet. I'm going to look at my options and I will let you know. Overall, I'm really happy with the remodel! Will have to post before and after photos.
  • 11 years ago
    Never drill into the tile for a shower curtain. just use a tension rod.
    Sherry thanked sacapuntaslapioz
  • 11 years ago
    When you can afford it go for frameless glass, you will love it. Opens up the room and you can see the beautiful tile you put in.
  • 11 years ago
    Totally agree with annazeva above. Do post pictures when you finally decide what to do.
  • 11 years ago
    Sunnydrew, the treatment is just a wipe on liquid. My shower guy gave me a bottle. It's called CRL surface protectant. Buy it on line and apply yourself. Don't pay them the extra $$ for it!
    crlaurence.com
  • 11 years ago
    Yes-- the local people who made my glass make their own treatment. They gave me the first bottle. After that, I purchased from them again-- $12 for a large spray bottle, which lasts me over 6 months-- and I spray every day. Thanks, Depo SD, for the CRL information. Nice to be able to have an equally inexpensive alternative.
  • 11 years ago
    Thanks everyone for the I info that will help me also. I am getting measured for my bath glass this week.