Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nickh_

Palm tree with brown, sticky bumps and drying leaves

nickh_
9 years ago

Hey everyone. I've had an indoor palm plant for about 6 months now, and recently it became quite sick. It had brown, sticky bumps on the top of many of the leaves. Also, some of the leaves were brown, dried, and dead. The floor below the palm was sticky, as was the wall beside it.

Using a damp cloth and warm, soapy water, I cleaned every leaf with gentle rubbing and was able to remove all of the brown, sticky stuff. Unfortunately, it slowly came back. Thus, I cut off the infected branches.

Now, the ends of many of the leaves are turning brown and drying out. Here're some photos of the palm:
http://imgur.com/a/u2nzw

Help! What should I do?

Comments (7)

• MrBlubs
    9 years ago

Looks like a scale infestation and if it is they are very difficult to get rid of.
    Usiing alcohol, dish soap, and water in a spray bottle usually does the trick. They're are also many insecticides and insecticidal soaps that will get rid of them if you spray on a weekly basis (usually) but there are also many home/natural methods
    I'll let someone else expand on that

• summersunlight
    9 years ago

Yes, Mr Blubs is right that your plant has scale insects.

How important is this plant to you? If this plant isn't sentimental or valuable, it may not be worth it to try to fight the scale. Scale can be tough to eradicate.

If you really want to try to save the plant though, I would suggest using a systemic pesticide that is labeled for indoor use in addition to following the advice to spray it (as well as the pot and the surrounding area) with a mixture to try to kill the insects every few days for several weeks.

• nickh_
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, guys. I'll do that and report back on how it's going. BTW, might you know what type of palm this is? I haven't been able to ID yet.

• Jasdip
    9 years ago

Areca and Majesty palms are commonly sold as houseplants. They are also difficult to grow as our low humidity isn't favourable to them. A picture would be a heck of lot easier to diagnose what kind of palm it is.

Scale is very difficult to get rid of, it will also get on nearby furniture; wooden tables etc. I had scale once on a schefflera and it was much easier to just replace the plant.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    9 years ago

That's a very bad scale infestation, nick. You'll have a difficult time getting that under control, even with strong pesticides which you shouldn't be introducing into your household, anyway.

I'm thinking that it's a Majesty Palm, which is one more big hurdle to overcome.

I can't tell if your plant is also infested with spider mites, another real common problem with palms, or if all the webbing is from cob web spider.

If that plant were mine, it would be on the curb before lunch. Some battles aren't worth it.

• MrBlubs
    9 years ago

I think it's a Majesty Palm to....
    But i don't think they're difficult to grow indoors as I bought mine 3 year's ago (my 5th houseplant ever) and it's doubled in size and Continuously puts out new fronds. Maybe I just got lucky? Or is it a disaster waiting to happen? Idk but it dosnt look like it's in anysort of decline.....