Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
acorneti

Melon-gresskar 'Mandela'

acorneti
9 years ago

Cucurbita maximelo "Nelson Mandela's Sun" translated into Norwegian: melon-gresskar 'Mandela'.
Ukrainian-Norwegians in Canada bred my Cucurbita maximelo 'Acorneti' (a 2-pounder) and pollinated some fruits with the largest cucurbit at that time: 2032 Mathison 13 from the Napa Valley in California.
Exactly 1:1000 was the weight disagreement between the parents and they harvested fruits in the weight range of 40 to 47 lbs., which tasted dull like a Cinderella pumpkin.
I have taught them to breed slower.
I have bred the best edible Pumpkin de Durban (a 25-pounder) onto Acorneti and had a very best fruit with Mandela and its weight of around 10#.
The 47 is not worthless. I will pollinate Mandela this year with the 47 to get a slower enlargement of a nice edible pumpkin fruit with melon seed, since Acorneti was bred from a C. maxima kabocha style pollinated by the tiger melon Cucumis melo 'Tigger'.
Mandela had white seed from the strictly all white father, while its mother's seed was nicely and shiny tan like the seed of 47 also is.
47 will straighten out seed color again and raise weight moderately.

This post was edited by acorneti on Tue, Jan 20, 15 at 14:43

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting