woohooman

Hate the new layout

How about you?

Usually, I don't care, but this blows.

Kevin

Comments (77)

• 2ajsmama
    9 years ago

It was already taken??? You'd think they'd let us all keep our old user names from Gardenweb and not make it 1st come 1st served. But at least got a similar one.

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    9 years ago

I hate having come to the bottom of the thread and find no link to go back to the forum or back to the top and I hate to use the back button as that can timeout the page and I have to login or takes me back to the home page and I have to find the hot pepper forum again. I am trying to like this change but its a bit rough. Won't use like button, tells me nothing really. Like my plants dying with 20 likes and no feedback what is that and you know people do that.

• User
    9 years ago

[quote]I hate having come to the bottom of the thread and find no link to go back to the forum or back to the top and I hate to use the back button as that can timeout the page and I have to login or takes me back to the home page and I have to find the hot pepper forum again. I am trying to like this change but its a bit rough. Won't use like button, tells me nothing really. Like my plants dying with 20 likes and no feedback what is that and you know people do that.

[/quote]

I don't visit often, but I might drop by even less now.

As for the quick to the top, there is a grey arrow in the bottom right for the browser. Click on that and it will take you to the top of the thread.

They should have the option to DIS-LIKE not just like. :( Looks like what Microsoft did with OFFICE 365.

• Seysonn_ 8a-NC/HZ-7
    9 years ago

AJS >>>

if they said that your old screen name is taken, maybe because you attempted to register as a new member wit a new email . So in that case your old account might be there. If not you can go to "your Houss" and edit it again.

Seysonn

Seysonn

• centexan254 zone 8 Temple, Tx
    9 years ago

I am on the fence about the new layout. There are some features that I like. Some I can not figure out, and some I wish would go away forever.

Likes I have so far:

It loads fast on my smart phone, so it is more mobile friendly.

Ability to post more than one photo per post, and not having to wait so long for it to post.

No more having to do preview, and then submit.

The ability to turn off notifications to my email are nice. The only one I have on is if someone is asking a question about one of my photos, or has sent me a message on this site.

The annoying pop up ads no longer come up on my phone. (I use an older smart phone that has very little operating memory so ad blocking apps can not be used. One link pops up. I close it. It would open as soon as I start to scroll down again.)

Not liking so far:

The page looks cold, and devoid of feel or flow. Adding some color contrast would be nice.

Having to scroll back up a page to return to the home page. If it is a long page this takes forever. If not I have to hit the back button, and then refresh.

I can not get a profile picture uploaded. I click to do so, it wants a title. Then it just post to my profile page. I would like to know how to put something other than a grey head to go next to my post.

Not getting to see discussions going on about the thing we all come here for due to so many having problems is the number one so far.

Oh and folks you do have a say. A huge selling point for the host site is the number of active users it has. The more users it has that log on, and post, and participate on a regular basis the more selling points they have.

I did not mind the banner ads on the bottom of the pages. Or in the side bar. The pop ups on my phone that would not go away, or stop were a near breaking point for me.

I am going to hang in, and see if it gets better. It is a free site so the only power I have is the same one I have over network TV. If I do not like what is on I can change the channel, or better yet turn off the TV.

• grubby_AZ Tucson Z9
    9 years ago

"I can not get a profile picture uploaded. I click to do so, it wants a title. Then it just post to my profile page. I would like to know how to put something other than a grey head to go next to my post."

I don't see that sort of behaviour from Whooz. I click on the existing avatar's camera icon, it goes to an avatar widget, I click on the big plus sign and it opens a standard folder window where I can browse to the wanted pic. If you choose a pic that's not a JPG, GIF, or PNG, or if you pick one that's not at least 150 px square, it can totally fail to give you an error message and then things just don't work. Now you get to resize the avatar, and to hit SAVE. Refresh the window too, and any other "GW" windows you may have left open.

• Mecdave Zone 8/HZ 9
    9 years ago

"at least 150 px square"

Yeah, that one tripped me up. Most sites don't want you exceeding 100 or 150 pixels. Instead of resizing my first choice, I just picked this one.

• Seysonn_ 8a-NC/HZ-7
    9 years ago

I also thik that the text color, background id cold and dull.

Also the logo space and column is too narrow and too small like a shirt button. We should suggest to do these little VISUAL things. And maybe to add a decent editor to provide some text writing features. At today's fast computer processors and cheap server memory banks, thes things are not a luxury anymore. We , the people are often more VISUAL than LOGICAL

If Tamara is reading this please pass on these things to your web designers, please.

Seysonn

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    9 years ago

At first, the sign up screen said my username was taken, too....but in the end it wasn't.

Josh

• ladyblue62_gw
    9 years ago

I hate it. Please go back to the old way!

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

LOL...This reminds me of the old IRC days where a group of members would jump ship, move to another network, but things just never seemed the same wherever each group ended up. Sad :( Nobody ends up happy.

I miss the old GW already because I already see some members jumping and that's what made GW what it was...THE MEMBERS!

If it was just hot peppers I came to read about and discuss, I'd probably belong to a different forum or read a book. I'll stick around, but you guys need to let me know where you all migrate(if that's what you're going to do). What's going to suck is a few hot pepper members will be lost, and then a few Vegetable Gardening forum members will go, and a few soil forum members, and a few container forum members will go. The next thing you know, GW will just not be GW anymore.

Hell! I was already sick of reading to the right about some lady's divorce situation in the Home Decorating forum!

But, I'll stick around for now. So, I may as well ask a question regarding the new layout....what's this "follow" crap? Am I going to be notified every time somebody is having the ribs at Applebee's?

Kevin

• gridgardener
    9 years ago

there is no going back since the old gardenweb software was pile junk and was in need of house cleaning

• ronnyb123
    9 years ago

Me... I dont care either way. All I want is the information that I need and to get answers from a great group of people. The other site is a little bit more complicated and spread out for my taste but change is something that is necessary in any business. The old GW was good, but this has some better features that will just take some getting use to.

Let me put it this way. If you were a newbie and came here and started posting, this site would be great. There would be no problems and you would learn everything. Take your time and figure it out.

Now lets start talking chilis again and quit complaining about things we cannot change.

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Yah, I hate it so far, but as others say, it is probably just a matter of getting used to it. But in the mean time, I reserve the right to bitch about it until I do get used to it.

Funny how they make this change just about the time that many of use are ramping up for the new growing season. I think it is a conspiracy to keep us from enjoying our pepper growing too much.

Bruce

• scorion1
    9 years ago

Does anybody know how to send messages to other members here?I just cannot get it to work for me.Maybe,I am over looking something?

• northerner_on
    9 years ago

This is horrible. As an IT professional, I find it busy and non-intuitive. Did they take any time to understand how GW members used their Forums and message boards? I think not. Very poor design and I don't know if I will continue using it.

• scorion1
    9 years ago

I feel you northerner.The more I try to use this site.The more mad I get.People came here to talk to friends and see what they were growing.They could just click on send an email and it would work. Nothing was hard about it and everyone could do it.I have met a lot of good people on here and was hoping to meet many more.

I am not trying to be bitter about this new set up,but if they keep this stuff up.I am going to leave and never come back. They make their money by us coming here and checking this site out.We shop and look at things and buy more things which is understandable,but making a site not user friendly is just bad business.

I hope they fix this issue before all is lost.People,Money,Jobs and everything else.

• Seysonn_ 8a-NC/HZ-7
    9 years ago

Hi Scorion

I am learning some of the features myself. Until yesterday I did not how to send someone an email. But I think I know now. In order to SEND and GET email from a member, you both have to choose to FOLLOW each other and your set up you have to allow for this. BUT say if I don't allow anyone to message me or send me email, then nobody can send me email. You set your policy, not the site.

Seysonn

• SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
    9 years ago

Having to follow someone and them follow you to get msg's and emails is a security feature that ensures you will not get unsolicited msg's or emails. While not as 'friendly' as the old way at least this way you will never receive spam and if you do it will be easy to remove the offender. No bot will be able to scan and spam here. I don't like it either, but it is way more secure.

SCG

• ronnyb123
    9 years ago

I put the directions under a different thread, glad you guys got it to work. Mine works fine.

• northerner_on
    9 years ago

On the question of security as cited by Scorion, I don't like this 'following' scenario. I do a lot of trading, and I need to exchange information for mailing purposes. Having to 'ask' someone to follow me seems weird. How do you get to know and communicate privately with users you don't know. How do you express interest in a trade for example, without doing it on the site. On the other hand, I find it very intrusive that when I click on a username, all their 'activity' is listed on the right hand side of the page. My activity is no one's business. I do not care for everyone on the site to know if and what I said to anyone else, and whether or not I updated my profile. I do not object to change, but it should be for easier use. We are all busy people and we have to be spending so much time to learn to use a clumsy system. I even hate the name. What the hell is Houzz? What does it mean? I am getting more irritated as I write. I think I am as good as gone.

• Seysonn_ 8a-NC/HZ-7
    9 years ago

@ northerner
    If you don't like the "follow" messaging, you can let all members message you, email you. There is an option for that I think. Actually it is the default.

Seysonn

• bragu_DSM 5
    9 years ago

yeah, well if it weren't for Houzz we wouldn't have a place to converse. All you IT experts could just build us a better site, err, mousetrap. I guarantee you will not have thought of every scenario. Thanks to Houzz, everything that was ever on GW is still here. We coulda just logged on to see a 404 error message. This is MUCH better than that.

dave

• Seysonn_ 8a-NC/HZ-7
    9 years ago

Exactly, Dave.
    Everything that was on GW is still here PLUS MORE.

Seysonn

• daisydawnny62
    9 years ago

I am finally back on

• ronnyb123
    9 years ago

My understanding is that without Houzz buying up GW, we would probally be all somewhere else since this would be (404)- Page not found.

• beverly_
    9 years ago

At least the trade page is back. That's what I really liked. It's still kinda hidden though

Original Author
    9 years ago

ronnyb123(Zone 9) wrote: My understanding is that without Houzz buying up GW, we would probally be all somewhere else since this would be (404)- Page not found.

----------

I find that very hard to believe. There are sites out there that survive no problem whatsoever with a helluva lot less traffic than what GW generates.

This merger was simply the owners of GW finally cashing in on their investment over the years. Good for them! If I was in the same position, I would've done the same.

Kevin

• thenewmidwestchilehead
    9 years ago

I'm not sure yet. I haven't been here enough to know.

• Edymnion
    9 years ago

I've been on may different forums since pretty much the invention of internet forums. This is not the worst that I've seen. Not the best, but nowhere near unusable.

• asm198 - Zone 6a (MO)
    9 years ago

I'm starting to get in the habit of checking the post count in threads before I bother with them. Having to constantly scroll to hunt for the newest post, instead of it automatically taking me to the last unread post is 100% obnoxious.

• JanMac
    9 years ago

Oh my, kind of sorry I clicked the 'confirm' button. I went to "Your Houzz" to set up my preferences but there weren't any there and THAT took me out of the Gardenweb and into the Houzz and I couldn't find my way back. I have no interest in Houzz. This seems to be a data mining scheme more than anything.

• Seysonn_ 8a-NC/HZ-7
    9 years ago

One way to go back is to hit the back button on the top of your browser.

Seysonn

• Seysonn_ 8a-NC/HZ-7
    9 years ago

If you or anybody thinks that getting around here is difficult ( as has been one of the complaint of those made it an excuse), you should go and visit where the departed members are. It is in a sate of mess and confusion. I have yet to find a "Hot pepper" discussion page. They ask the newcomers, "be patient, you'll get used to it" . Well, how come they were not patient here? This forum is almost the same as it has been .. SIMPLE ....FLOWING ..

As far as planting and growing peppers, let me tell you what I think"
    IT IS NOT A ROCKET SCIENCE and you don't need a Phd to do that.

Seysonn

• cottonwood468
    9 years ago

He's right. I've shot rockets.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Seysonn wrote:

"This forum is almost the same as it has been .. SIMPLE ....FLOWING .."

------

Keyword---ALMOST

But, without a lot of the members and with ONE who won't give it a rest!

Trying to get MY thread deleted also, seysonn?

I take it back in regards to YOU joining the other forum. I think you might be unwanted there.

Kevin

• Seysonn_ 8a-NC/HZ-7
    9 years ago

Fine with me. I did not accept your invitation in the first place. So no need to take back. anything.

About deleting your thread , I had nothing to do with it , you should know it..

They deleted my thread too. And I don't mind it.

About giving up or not giving it a rest, I should remind you that this is my base. But you are a member here , advertising and promoting another competition site and you are cheer leading and name calling over there.. Now, who should give up, what ?

Your alibi for stirring thing up here has been about the changes made to layout, and supposedly that made it difficult for you to get around but the site that you are promoting is in worse shape.

Seysonn

• pepperdave
    9 years ago

Im done

• jtight
    9 years ago

F^ck the world. This place has some a$$clowns for some reason now. It used it be peppers a/ comradery; however, this buyout has turned this forum upside down.

• theforgottenone1013 (SE MI zone 5b/6a)
    9 years ago

Geez! Enough already!

Original Author
    9 years ago

Seysonn: it's not a competition. That's what people are trying to tell you!!!

Sure, the layout was my 1st gripe, but I've maintained all along that it WAS the members that made the pepper forum the pepper forum.

Now, all readers get is a FEW remaining long-time members. And YOU and your disgruntled teenage angst posts/threads. You're making it very easy for the rest of the members(AND even NEW ones) to leave also.

You act like a scorned woman who loses her husband to the 25 year old model.

I've said I'll remain a member of GW for the OTHER forums since many of the members I respect are still in tact. But the hot pepper forum seemed in disarray. Now, I'm sure of it.

First, it was the layout. I can adjust to THAT. YOU and your antics, on the other hand, I won't.

Kevin

• Seysonn_ 8a-NC/HZ-7
    9 years ago

woohooman,
    Are you worried about the future of this forum, this site so much, that you think I am causing it ? I don't think so. That is your agenda trying to make this place become a ghost town., so that you and your comrades become a winner.

All along I have been sticking to the issues, not making it a personal thing. but you and some others make personal attack, character judgements. Tell me what I have said that was wrong instead of character judgement ? What Am I trying to do ? to show my loyalty to this site ?
    I have said it time and time, and time again, you and anybody else is free, to stay, leave, to join another site, whatever, as far as I am concerned . I have been just against talking negatives here. And I will do that as long as I am a member here. Being on a boat and trying to rock it is not in my forte'.
    Lets see on which side of fence you are ?

Seysonn

Original Author
    9 years ago

Are you frickin kidding me?

What about the 3 posts prior to my last did you NOT get??????????????

Pepperdave wrote: I'm done

Jtight wrote(who, btw, ran this last year's seed swap): F^ck
    the world. This place has some a$$clowns for some reason now. It used
    it be peppers a/ comradery; however, this buyout has turned this forum
    upside down.

Even Rodney(forgottenone)(who, btw, hasn't joined c2c) wrote: Geez!
    Enough already!
    --------------------
    You think they were talking about layout, or merger, or data mining or or or...????????

Hint: they weren't!
    2nd hint: Look closely into mirror!

Here, stick this into a leetspeak decoder --- |=(_)(|<74|2|)

• theforgottenone1013 (SE MI zone 5b/6a)
    9 years ago

If you all want to continue with this ridiculous and childish squabbling move it over to the Hot Topics Forum. This is the pepper forum. It should be about peppers. Nothing more.

Rodney

• Seysonn_ 8a-NC/HZ-7
    9 years ago

You are right , Rodney,
    Who started this thread ? Not me..
    As far as I am concerned all non-pepper related thread s and posts should be deleted. Then only those who want to talk peppers should be allowed in.

Seysonn

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    9 years ago

This will never end if certain person has to have 'the last word'....

Original Author
    9 years ago

That's pretty good psychology there, rina_.

Original Author
    9 years ago

shhh.. I'm testing him. ;)

• jtight
    9 years ago

• the_northeast_chileman
    9 years ago

<i>gridgardener

there is no going back since the old gardenweb software was pile junk and was in need of house cleaning</i>

And house clean they have!

Sponsored
Designing Beautiful, Sustainable Homes in Columbus