Software
Houzz Logo Print
marguerite_gw

A Cabbage !!!!

My daughter-in-law, having inspected my newly bought jades, came out and asked me "Why are you growing a cabbage in your front window?"


Comments (18)

  • 11 years ago

    Haha! I am guessing she is not a plant person!

  • 11 years ago

    But she will be by the time I'm finished, breton2. I've already made her a present of a rebutia and a green jade. She has started to tell me regularly how they are doing without being asked - heh heh.

  • 11 years ago

    That is good to hear! Don't you love converting people to succulentism? More people to trade with!


    And I meant to say I love your cabbage, is that C. arborescens undulatifiolia? I have several, but they are wee little cuttings, nothing like your tree. I bought a pot which turned out to have about nine cuttings in it!

  • 11 years ago

    I bought the plant as Crassula Curly Bluebird, from the UK. I hope to divide it later because I like the one-trunk look. I would have done it when it arrived only the soil was rock hard. I repotted into my gritty mix and hope eventually it will loosen up a bit. I think it is the same as Crassula arborescens undulata, from pictures I have seen on the web. Are you by any chance in Europe, breton2? I could send you one later when I divide it if you were.

  • 11 years ago

    Thank you for the kind offer, Marguerite, but I am in Canada.

    enjoy your plant!

    cheers,

    Breton

  • 11 years ago

    Marguerite, here is my cabbage...I prefer the one trunk look for my Jades as well. All of mine are one plant per pot.


    Christopher


  • 11 years ago

    And there's the pot again that I love. I think Curly has particularly lovely trunks - it's where to overwinter them that gives me pause for thought re. division. Although they do very well in the tunnel too, I love them near at hand. Are yours all inside with you, Christopher?

    Breton, can even cuttings not go to Canada?


  • 11 years ago

    Most of mine are in unobstructed south facing windows in my living room, they seem to love it there.

    Christopher


  • 11 years ago

    I can just imagine all your happy jades, Christopher. What I love is when the sun shines and warms up the terracotta, you can nearly hear the jades purring.

  • 11 years ago

    Christopher, I'm so happy to view your "happy" jade as well. Also love the round pot & ripple(?) jade above, it's very calming... great pairing.

    Marguerite, thanks for the laugh! Here's my cabbage.... (will be repotting it this week)
    Nancy


  • 11 years ago

    That's a lovely full little jade, Nancy. Will you be potting it up a size? What kind of pot are you going to put it in? Jades and particular pots seem to enhance and complement one another, more than other plants.

    What cultivar is that, Christopher? Is it a sport on a Crassula obliqua? Will you sever it from the main plant eventually?

  • 11 years ago

    Thanks Marguerite, I believe it's going into 2 pots, once I take off soil & see each trunk...it may change. I have a 2x3" rectangular burgundy bonsai pot, and maybe terracotta for the other. Jades are my favorite, most window space is taken by them, but also adore some succulents... they get a spot here and there. Anyways... I'll post pic once completed :)

    Nancy

  • 11 years ago

    I really look forward to seeing them all, Nancy. That burgundy pot sounds lovely, bonsai pots suit jades very well.

  • 11 years ago

    Hi Marguerite, the ripple jade are in their new homes...

    I'm happy with the burgundy bonsai pot, though I may tweak it so the left side is vertical and the right branch would lean down a little more. The terracotta pot was the best option on hand at the moment, just think it's a little large. I can't wait for them to get settled & eventually get some sun to better show the red edges.

  • 11 years ago

    That burgundy pot is perfect for the smaller plant. It will probably 'tweak' itself anyway. I don't think the larger plant will come to harm in the terracotta pot - you've to go with what you have, and it has a good strong trunk. If your soil is free-draining it should be ok. Very best of luck with them, Nancy. I'd love to see how they're doing later. I see you have some nice sunshine there.

  • 11 years ago

    This ripple jade, (amusingly aka cabbage jade), has been camera shy until now, it was near death. It was in a glazed pot and peat mix held too much moisture, and began rotting. The leaves were also very dehydrated from being in s sunny spot. So I planted it in terracotta pot with fresh soil, only watered it once new roots took. It's taken a long several months for it rehydrate its leaves, I'm so happy its on its way to recovery.

    Nancy

  • 11 years ago

    It's looking well now, Nancy, and getting those red edges which go so well with the Crassula arborescens type colouring. It should be really interesting to see it after the summer

Sponsored