Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nosoccermom

what is IKEA Stocksund?

nosoccermom
9 years ago

IKEA Stocksund

So, I found this sofa cover on the IKEA web site. But what sofa is it for?

Comments (62)

• Houseofsticks
    9 years ago
    You can call the store. Many items are not on the website get the item number and go from there. Again, sit in it before you buy. I was excited about the lines but very disappointed in the comfort level.
  • nosoccermom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I checked it out yesterday, and while it's ok, it's not really what I'm looking for. Unlike most people, I need a very firm sofa with a firm back.

• the_foxes_pad
    9 years ago

It's at our local IKEA. I am interested in the chair. I haven't sat on it yet. No need to feel the need to have to have it until after I knock a few other things off my list. I still love my IKEA Ektorp Sectional.

• nosoccermom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have to say that I find the Ektorp the most comfortable. I wonder whether one can stuff the back pillows even more or wrap padding around the cushions.

• steviebear69
    9 years ago

The Stocksund sofa was briefly on the IKEA US website, then disappeared. It is now back on the website. Took a look in person and was disappointed.

I agree with smalloldhouse_gw, the proportions are just off. The legs are too small and too inboard from the corners. The arm covers were not well fitting on any of the showroom samples. A floor length slip to hide the spindly legs and better fitting/pleated (not gathered) arm covers would fix the biggest problems. I hate this word, but it just looked frumpy in person.

Tried looking to see if a third party like BEMZ or KNESTING has a slipcover, but I guess it's too new. One positive, the light red version is a great color.

I really really wanted to like this sofa....it came so close. For looks, comfort and price point, the Ektorp is probably the best value....plus loads of third party slipcovers.

• nosoccermom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Agree. I liked the look on the web site, and really wanted to like it in person. I also like the Stockholm but don't find it that comfortable either.

• nosoccermom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Maybe I'll revisit it.

• olivier777
    9 years ago

That is probably the LEAST comfortable sofa at ikea.
    It comes in a few different colours. The red looked good untill I actually saw it : it's like a washed out red, like a sick tomatoe. The cover for the armrest is just ugly ; it looks better without it. You can change the legs if you want. The problem is, it's very deep, a bit high(with the legs), and the back rest is too short. It results in an arched back(not in a comfortable way) and neck problems if you are tall(you just cannot rest your upper back and head).
    I was VERY disapointed with this sofa. I highly considered buying it but there is just no way someone would buy such a sofa.

I don't know who designs the sofas at Ikea, but other than the EKtorp, Kivik and Stockholm (most ugly colours available), it's just garbage. The Karlstad (el cheapo ) is sitting on cheap wooden legs and you can feel it's not gonna last. The stiocksund is the worst in terms of comfort. Soderham is a joke(very low and too deep...might as well buy a bed). Nockeby is too big and the fabric gets damaged VERY fast. Everything else is not even worth mentioning.

These so called designers could have made great products had they brought some very minor changes that would not even alter the price.

• echalmers
    9 years ago

Hmm . . . I disagree. The Stocksund sofa is comfortable for me. One thing I like about it is the wide seat, which makes lying down a comfortable experience. I've never found the Ektorp series comfortable and dislike 3-cushion sofas (for a while it had these awful chicken-feather cushions). The Kivik is nice but not my style. I liked the Karlstad, but it was a little too hard. Maybe it is partly a matter of size--I'm not too tall and fairly light and have a hard time with larger pieces. The Stocksund chair is way too big for me and my house, for instance. And I would be careful about the Stocksund and a heavy person who really needs a supportive piece of furniture. But I agree about the cheaper sofas--they're cheap! I guess that's why they don't cost much. :-)

• nosoccermom
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I actually like the Karlstad because of its firmness. And it's possible to get metal legs for it because, yes, the wooden ones look a bit cheapish.

On the other hand, I have a Pottery Barn leather sofa and chair and can't say that they are any better built. The leather has all faded an dis kind of bumpy (aniline), and the cushions are all flattened.

• Elraes Miller
    9 years ago

Just measured my sofa which is similar. It is 10" deeper and 18" longer. So the Stocksund must be a fairly small sofa. Mine doesn't seem very large, although the depth makes for a great nap.

The sofa covers state 100 polyester. Wonder how long they would last and the thickness. Also not how they are put on. The surround is two parts with velcro to hold. But I'd jump buying one if it would fit. Love tailored slipcovers. Ballard Designs also has this sofa design, around twice the price for slipcovers. I have bought them and great solid fabric. Not sure of the sizing.

• echalmers
    9 years ago

Recheck the slipcover--the one I have is a cotton blend, fits perfectly, wears well, though one of my cats is sometimes interested.

I think Pottery Barn furniture is an insane waste of money--I've returned two rugs and a chair that were horribly, cheaply made. How PB gets away with it is beyond me.

• nosoccermom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Totally agree with PB. I returned a rug because it started stinking so bad when the backing disintegrated. Their bedding or drapery is certainly not any better than most of IKEA's (But RH is even more outrageous IMO)

• redbrook31
    9 years ago

I fell in love with the Stocksund. Amazing sofa with an unbelievable price. I own 3 Ektorp's and they have held up better than my expensive sofa. I like the Stocksund because it does not have HUGE arms. It's compact and fits betters in a smaller/narrower room. I laid down on it at the showroom and was pleasantly surprised. I do agree that the seat is quite deep but decorative pillows will solve that problem.

• patiencenotmyvirtue
    9 years ago

I love that y'all are still talking about the Stocksund. I am in the market for a new sofa and had decided on Karlstad (adding pretty legs from Etsy seller). I like the clean lines of Karl. But I'm gonna lounge on Stocksund again when I go to IKEA. I was NOT impressed the first time I encountered Stocksund, and wrote about it in this thread. Maybe I'll view it differently the second time around? hmmmmm.......

• nosoccermom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Someone posted on another thread here that the Karlstad is not being manufactured anymore and what is sold is just current inventory. So grab it while you can :)

• patiencenotmyvirtue
    9 years ago

What?!!?!?! Oh my. Guess I should get on up to IKEA and come home with a sofa. Thanks for the heads up. I knew the Karl leather was long gone. Had no idea about the fabric version. Oh my. Uh Uh Uh.... whatever will replace it!?!?!?! I'm a bit flabbergasted......

• nosoccermom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's the thread on
    Karlstad being discontinued?

• patiencenotmyvirtue
    9 years ago

Wow. Thanks!

• socialStephanie
    8 years ago

Does anyone know if they make a chaise in the Stocksund grouping? I saw it on their web site in a photo of a living room...

• the_foxes_pad
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Here is the chaise. I have purposely been avoiding IKEA for fear of the 'Wants' so I haven't seen it in person yet.

Link: Stocksund Chaise

• echalmers
    8 years ago

There's also a bigger sofa now (3 seater), so the line must be popular. Not having room for anything too big, I purchased the chair to go with the couch and LOVE it--so comfortable for reading and lounging. One of my cats has adopted it as well. This series is to my mind one of the best things Ikea has come up with in a long time.

• socialStephanie
    8 years ago

@the_foxes_pad- Can you purchase in the US? In only see the price in British pounds.

• User
    8 years ago

I don't see it. Here's a link to all in that line on the US site.
    http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S89033827/

• echalmers
    8 years ago

It doesn't appear to be on the site, but I saw both the bigger sofa and the chaise at my local store, which is one of the smaller Ikea branches. The same thing happened when the Stocksund series first came out, so maybe it takes time to get everything on line. I would ask locally or call Ikea's central customer relations number.

• Bonnie
    8 years ago

We received an Ikea catalog in the mail yesterday. The chaise is listed in the catalog.

• socialStephanie
    8 years ago

Great! Thanks for the info!!

• olivier777
    8 years ago

Yes, a new ''larger'' version is out ; I would say it's about 2 feet wider. They added an additional leg (front and back) in the middle so it won't break in half, although it looks ludicrous and even cheaper . The low part of the sofa(where you connect the legs) is too straight. It should be filled with a bit more ''padding'' and would improve its' look .

Every time I go to Ikea, I give this sofa a try, but it's too deep and the backrest is too soft. I'm 5'4 and this sofa is terrible for your lower back if you are sitting straight and are 5'6 and lower. The only way to be comfy would be to sit on it with your legs crossed or to use an ottoman.

I've been trying to figure a way to make it bearable by using huge cushions, but alas, it alters the looks. As for the wooden legs, you can purchase a metal adapter and screw it in the corners and you can purchase whatever legs you want to make it look better. That is what I did with my Kivik sofa. The STOCKSUND would be great with wooden angled legs and a bit less depth in terms of ''sitting area''. This is their best looking sofa. I hope they improve it.

• the_foxes_pad
    8 years ago

Looks like a trip is in order!

• socialStephanie
    8 years ago

Yes, I will be making a trip next week! Thanks for the info.!

• socialStephanie
    8 years ago

Ok...made trip to ikea and have set up the chaise. Does anyone know if the legs are included? No legs in the box and I called cust. service and they told me I have to purchase them separately...but doesn't sound right. How could you have a piece of furniture w/ no legs?

• olychick
    8 years ago

Nothing at Ikea would surprise me, but when you go to the website, there is a choice of leg color and they are included in the price. I'd call customer service back....get someone different. Have them send the legs.

• echalmers
    8 years ago

Legs are included in the price but come in a separate box. Ikea's fault! You should have received three boxes--chaise proper and legs (included in price) and slipcover (separate pricing). Take your receipt back to the store and request your legs.

• socialStephanie
    8 years ago

I know, I realized that the price on line reflects the price of the slip cover, chaise and legs. Go figure...so frustrating though. If you order on line, I guess you get everything.

• Rita Tipton
    8 years ago

Wow, I read all these negative comments, and I was completely floored! I have been searching years for a great, comfortable sofa, and kept going back to the ones at Pottery Barn, only to conclude that they were not comfortable at all and they were kind of cheap. On a recent visit to IKEA to buy curtains, which I love by the way, I saw this sofa and sat on it, and fell in love! Yes, it's deep, you can snuggle into it, the back cushions are the kind you can sort of sink into, and best of all, the cover comes off to clean it! This is especially important to me since I have three little dogs who live on my sofa. I am buying it this weekend, and I couldn't be happier or more thrilled! I say if you're contemplating it, don't rely on someone else's opinion, you need to look at it on your own terms and merits!

• kelleg69
    8 years ago

I am reviving this thread since I have just been looking at this sofa online. Can those of you who own the Stockund post pictures and let me know how you feel about the couches now? Still liking them? Thanks in advance.

• socialStephanie
    8 years ago

HI! I have the chaise and I like it a lot. If you do purchase a Stocksund piece, make sure you purchase the legs. The chaise didn't come w/ legs and the sales associates were not aware and upon a second trip to IKEA, they sold me the wrong ones...had to make an extra trip to IKEA. They made good on their error, I called cust. service to make them aware of what had happened and they sent me a $20 gift card. I love that the slip covers are washable.

• nosoccermom
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Kelleg,

do you have a chance to sit on it? Every time I go to IKEA (15-20 mins from me), I sit on it.

Love the look, the slip cover, the separate arm cover. I don't think it looks cheap.

For me, the seat is too deep, but then, I like really firm sofas with back support.

OTH, if you like the soft, cushy, slouchy sofas, it may be too hard for your liking. However, I find it firmer than PB sofas, or pretty much any other sofa that's out there.

• echalmers
    8 years ago

I have the sofa and the chair and love them both. They look great and are very comfortable for reading and curling up, and although they have deep seats are easy to adjust with pillows. I do wish I could get a slipcover in a tighter weave than the beige, as one of my cats has shown interest in the material.

I don't have a lot of people sitting on this furniture and can't attest to how it would hold up with a family using it. I'm also not very heavy and don't know how it would work for a heavy person. Otherwise, this furniture is an excellent buy for the price and I think one of the nicest series Ikea has produced.

• Rita Tipton
    8 years ago

Well, I have owned the Stocksund sofa in charcoal grey with black legs for over three months now. I have to say, I love it as much as I did the first time I saw it and sat on it at IKEA. I'm saving my money for the matching chair - LOL! Seriously, after having a Hickory Chair sofa that was very well made, but whose seat (made entirely of feather down) was as hard as rocks, I still appreciate the soft, but not too soft, comfort of this sofa's cushions. LOVE LOVE LOVE!!!!!!!

• PRO
    Keystone Builders, Inc.
    8 years ago

Our new red stocksund chairs in our new home addition (still not finished but you get the idea).

• nosoccermom
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Ha, I just bought the blue slipcovers for the chair in the As is dept for 15.00 (all pieces), so now I just need the frame, cushions, legs for 250.00. Next time with a bigger car.

• someoneone
    8 years ago

We just saw the stocksund in the Chicago IKEA. We loved it. My husband is very picky about comfort and size and he felt like it was very roomy. The 3 seater was just a bit too big and the love seat was def too small. The two seat sofa is perfect. We especially liked the deep seat for curling up with a book or grandkids or each other. I like the no skirt style. I wish it had a solid back, but very few couches have that. In the store it was displayed with 2 large end pillows and a lumbar pillow and that seemed just right to make it super cozy. Now we just have to decide on color. The gray beige looked like it matched our revere pewter walls. The gray seemed too dark?

• someoneone
    8 years ago

Fabric · More Info

• Rita Tipton
    8 years ago

I wanted the Stocksund 3 seater sofa in the taupe color, but almost immediately, I found one practically brand new on Craigslist in the dark grey for half the price. I had my reservations about the dark grey, but now that I own it, I love it. It goes with everything. I deeply love this sofa. I wish I could get the chair and the chaise to go with it!

• someoneone
    8 years ago

What a lucky find! Do you feel like it shows a lot of lint and such? I think the look is gorgeous.

• Southern Gal
    7 years ago

so glad for this thread... i have been lusting after this sofa for years... and finally snagged a loveseat (i have a tiny railroad apt) on craiglist for less than half!

luckily i have big pillows to use along the back.. but i wanted a deep sofa... so i am excited!

• nosoccermom
    Original Author
    7 years ago

About 1 week ago, slip covers were 10.00 (that sand and red color)

• Eileen TK
    6 years ago

I saw the loveseat in my store and loved the Ljungen Blue color so much - it was exactly the color I was looking for, and the size is perfect for my small apartment. I sat on it many times before deciding to order it. I can't wait to get it in a couple weeks! The kids are out of the house now so it won't get a lot of wear and tear - we just needed extra seating for gatherings. I think with a couple nice pillows and a throw, it will look wonderful and also be functional. Yes, it isn't the highest quality, but I find that with a lot of Ikea furniture - made to serve you well for a few years, and affordable. P.S. The black legs make it look more elegant than the light brown ones.