Software
Houzz Logo Print
jssballard81

Chevron rug?

11 years ago
last modified: 11 years ago

I have an extremely open concept kitchen/dining/living room, and I'm looking for a rug to go under my dining table. I tend to save up and spend more on quality, vs knee jerk impulse purchases. I want to keep whatever I buy for a long time. I've veered away from chevron pattern in anything in my home, because it seems like it's going the way of shag carpet. However, I really like this rug (that isn't cheap) from Wisteria. It's cowhide and I like the texture and the fact that it would be easier to keep clean for the dining area. I also like the Celine zebra rug from Ballard Designs, but it looks more brown than grey (which is definitely my main color scheme). Any thoughts on spending a pretty penny on a chevron rug? Thank you! Not sure why my photos are sideways- sorry!

CHEVRON COWHIDE RUG – BLACK - NEW · More Info

Comments (25)

  • 11 years ago

    That chevron is a bit dizzying because the pattern is small, which may not be the best for dining. Also, unless my monitor is really off, the black and gray (?) color doesn't go with your dining set, which is tan/brown. Taking care of a cowhide rug is not always easy, and it is going to get hit with any number of things under a dining table, including beverages or tomato sauces. You might consider looking for a rug that has both the colors of your dining table AND the grays you like to tie it all together, in something that can be vacuumed, steam cleaned or dry cleaned.

    Jessalyn Giacona thanked User
  • 11 years ago
    I like chevron but I do feel it's been overdone so I don't think I would use it for a big ticket item.
    Jessalyn Giacona thanked intown123
  • 11 years ago
    I checked out the ballard rug - I would go for that. I think the browns will work in your space (brown and gray is ok). I like the cheetah one also.
    Jessalyn Giacona thanked intown123
  • 11 years ago

    I would go for an overdyed rug or morrocan, would be beautiful... love your space!

    Jessalyn Giacona thanked Jlodyer
  • 11 years ago
    No to the chevron. The white in the rug is too stark, plus the optical illusion issues. Stick with earth tones or even certain shades of blue would be interesting in a small geometric pattern in a flat weave.
    Jessalyn Giacona thanked Janie Burton
  • 11 years ago
    Definitely not something to spend big on. I'd just live in the moment and get the ikea one which has the advantage of being a "stepped" pattern instead of diagonals.
    Jessalyn Giacona thanked Pool Habit
  • 11 years ago

    Makes me dizzy to look at it, plus the white is to stark as janieburton mentioned. Find something a tad more sedate.......

    Jessalyn Giacona thanked hayleydaniels
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Old Persian Kashan Signed Exc Cond 100% Wool, Hand-Knotted Area Rug · More Info

    Chevron rug for under your table ....no, if it was in a living room I would have said yes but the main thing that would refrain me from purchasing a rug for a dining room would be an animal skin of any kind ,those belong where no food or drinks could be spilled over , I see those in a bedroom or a living room not under a dining table . A good investment is crucial especially if we plan to keep things that we purchase for a very long time, therefore my advise is to invest in a different rug .

    Jessalyn Giacona thanked Geneviève
  • PRO
    11 years ago

    Don’t do a hide rug in your dining room.

    Jessalyn Giacona thanked adalisa frazzini
  • 11 years ago

    Let the chevron rug go. You'll be over it in no time. Better that you don't own it when that happens.

    Jessalyn Giacona thanked groveraxle
  • 11 years ago


    Jessalyn Giacona thanked groveraxle
  • 11 years ago

    Hi groveraxle how did you put those rugs under the dining set? photoshop??

    Jessalyn Giacona thanked intelinside1
  • 11 years ago

    Yes, intelinside1, Photoshop.


    Jessalyn Giacona thanked groveraxle
  • 11 years ago

    are there any programs that make it easier and are cheaper then photoshop? thanks in advance

    Jessalyn Giacona thanked intelinside1
  • 11 years ago

    I actually use Photoshop Elements which is cheaper than Photoshop, but it isn't easier.


  • 11 years ago

    Great job groveraxle and good choice of rug :)

  • 11 years ago

    Wow! Thank you so much everyone- especially groveraxle. That's ah maaazing. I confess I still like the drama of the black in the rug (I think it ties in well with the grand piano in the background) however, I do agree that the white is too stark, and the chevron is for sure going to date it. The Ballard rug is MUCH better price wise, but I worry it's too brown for the space? Especially when you compare it to the other rug in the living room(from Ballard as well). Thoughts? I wish I could find that same rug with a black stipe, or a very dark grey...

  • 11 years ago


    Loloi Cassidy Collection Rug, 5'x7'6" · More Info

    Like this one then ?


  • 11 years ago

    Before you buy a rug, use painter's tape and tape out the proper size for your table. Should be 4' wider and longer than the table without running into the wall. Since the chandy is fixed over the table, you may find this isn't the spot for a rug. Have you considered putting one under the piano or getting a bigger chevron for the living/piano area? Another great idea is to slip an upholstered hassock under the piano to be pulled out for listening.


    Earlmont House · More Info


    Cherry Creek Home · More Info


    Client Photos · More Info


    Jessalyn Giacona thanked decoenthusiaste
  • 11 years ago
    Can you show a close up or link to your other rug?
    I had a high contrast black and cream zebra wool rug that I loved but I caution you that the light parts were very hard to keep clean and ultimately we replaced it
    Jessalyn Giacona thanked intown123
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Here's a link to the rug I'm interested in and the rug I own:

    Interested in (in creme): http://www.ballarddesigns.com/celine-zebra-rug/220434

    Own (in living room): http://www.ballarddesigns.com/crawley-rug/252659

    My other thought was to get a large seagrass rug with a black border for the living, and put the rug that's in there now (the crawley rug in nickel) under the dining table.

    Also, just FYI- we NEVER actually eat at this table. We don't have any children (though may in the near future). Maybe twice a year when we have family over do we actually use it. So... that being said, I'm kind of leaning towards form over function for this space. It just needs to look pretty. :)

  • 11 years ago
    I know colors sometimes don't translate right over the computer but your living room rug isn't reading super grey to me - more warm - as is the dining room. So for me the browns in the zebra rug seem like they go even more so than a dark grey or black that could have more cool tones. The mocha zebra rug also looks pretty similar in tone to the living room rug.
    Jessalyn Giacona thanked intown123
  • 11 years ago

    Your room looks wonderful so far. But it all seems so neutral. Is that what you are going for? Or might you consider adding some color? If you are comfortable with picking rugs on-line - HomeDecorators.com has a huge variety at varying prices. I've had great luck shopping there.

    Jessalyn Giacona thanked Barbara Almandarz
  • 11 years ago

    I do love my neutrals. I have a few light green (like the green moss in the center piece) accents around the room, but that's about it. I'd describe my style as modern french country with a masculine edge (I do have a man who has to live with me). I love when I see all the color in the Wisteria catalog- but I'm not brave enough to incorporate it into my house (usually because of $$$). Thanks for all of your help- it's so great to get all the feedback. I think I'll go with zebra rug. Muchas gracias! https://www.pinterest.com/jssgiacona81/hometastic/