Software
Houzz Logo Print
predhead72

House remodel

11 years ago
I have a copper roof. I am remodeling the outside with hardie board and stone. I am leaning on chestnut brown. Any color suggestions? The roof is throwing me off!

Comments (11)

  • 11 years ago

    Here us a link to plants combos for metal buildings. It also shows some homes and their color combinations. It appears that browns, grays, oranges are suitable for copper.

    Washington DC Residence · More Info

  • 11 years ago

    I think red with white trim, but I love red houses. I think brown might be too much brown. I'd get some expert advice or play with the computer simulation at a paint store. I've actually never seen the copper colored metal roof, but I like it. I also love a red metal roof on a White House. Can you guess I have red trim on my house even though the brick is different colors and it has a black roof? Red looks good with Christmas decor. And red, white, blue decor, geraniums, red and white, and hydrangeas. I also like yellow houses and think what you have looks fine.

  • 11 years ago
    Go Grey with a white trim
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    The only color hardie has that will be great is heathered moss. It will work with white trim and as a neutral will always be charming with any interior color scheme you might have. Or, white but get the sailcloth white / warm white - winter white instead of the arctic white.

    Don't put stone on this quasi victorian cottage (it will make it too short) unless it is to replace the lattice / hide the foundation /cover a fireplace / maybe in back like an extended foundation / older starter house carry the stone to the lower level if you had a hidden first floor walkout in back - then you need a stone with copper or gold tones in it in a (looks old fashioned) rubble profile or possibly a river rock profile that is overgrouted to sort of work with the 1910 victorian cottage schtick you have going on now with the porch bric-a-brac. Work with that . . use fish scales for the little gable peak in front instead of the straight siding. That will be worth doing in cedar and painting or at minimum use the staggered shingle look siding hardie makes for that little space.

    Eventually you might like to replace these colonial shutters with cottage board and batten shutters with little cut-outs, and frogs to hold them open - wide enough to actually work to close - these can be white, or you might like a deeper olive tone. Another thing that would be special is to mask all the glass and use krylon copper to paint the front door. . It would hold up well at least!

    Instead of stone on the house or in addition to the above, use something like autumn flame flagstone to do a walk, use gold colored decomposed granite for paths / gold chip seal on the drive .. those would echo the copper roof and add a lot of cottage charm . . study cottage gardens (masses of flowering shrubs behind a vinyl picket fence down nearer the street, for instance), Flowering trees, bulbs etc . . these would do more than adding stone here.

  • 11 years ago
    Green would be beautiful
  • 11 years ago

    Don't go with chestnut as it would be too close to the copper without matching, and not look good. You want to go for contrast so I'd go with the beautiful green Melanie suggested above.

  • PRO
    11 years ago

    I think green would be lovely. I have a copper area over all of my bay windows and in 23 years it still hasn't gone green, it is only starting to on the edges.


  • 11 years ago
    The stone will cover the concrete around the bottom of the house and I was going to rock just the porch section.
  • 11 years ago

    Stone on concrete is great . .not sure about "rock" just the porch section. Rock wall would be too rustic for your victorian trim. Flagstone floor on porch - awesome. Rock on fireplace tower .. awesome .. can you post your rock profile?

  • PRO
    11 years ago

    With your house I would suggest either a brick patio and walkway or pavers to match the architecture of your home.