Software
Houzz Logo Print
rescuejill

What to do with our walls- master bedroom

11 years ago
We need bedside lamps and to decorate our walls in the master.
Hang drapes on window walls?
What should we hang over bed?
How do we style this dresser with our current tv?
What should we hang on the empty wall?

Comments (72)

  • 11 years ago

    Bedroom furniture is here to stay. We actually just bought it and it is a compromise between hubby's and my style preferences. White actually washed out, if that is even how I can describe it. The room is brighter than it looks in the pics. Here is the furniture. Bed is custom ordered from a great Etsy shop. Here is the dresser and night stands. We have mahogany. Thanks everyone for your thoughts!!!

    http://www.potterybarn.com/products/chloe-bedside-table/?pkey=call-bedroom&;

  • 11 years ago

    Those lamps will look great with your end tables. The dark wood is beautiful with the blue walls and grandmother's mirror. Please don't forget to post pictures when you finish with the bedroom.

    rescuejill thanked User
  • 11 years ago

    Well definitely keep that adorable child on the bed (maybe not keep him on the bed), but you know what I mean. Your furniture is great. I would go for the lamps that either have the knobby clear glass bases or the last one with the drum shade you posted. I disagree that your pillows do not go with the bedspread. I think they are a perfect match. I would center your dresser on that wall it is on. The grouping of the photos you showed would be great right where you placed them. Of course on the wall, but I think the two on the left need to be separated by about two more inches. Try them all lined up with the bottoms of the frames in a level line. Your arrangement may be best, just try them that way.

    rescuejill thanked sandradclark
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    I also do not like a TV in the bedroom. Bedroom is to be used for only two things: sleep and well, sleep. But I understand your need for one. Try hanging it on the wall at the proper height for viewing from the bed. Do center your dresser to the wall it is on and maybe install the TV on one side or the other above the dresser. Whichever is best for viewing. Place three candlesticks on the other side of the dresser with maybe a stand up photo of your son.

    I'm thinking for you to try your wedding photos on the left side of your bed wall. Just to help balance the whole wall a little. Hang your hubby's Grandmother's mirror over the bed centered. Do not paint anything. Reserve the larger adjacent wall where you have placed the wedding photos for a large piece of art you & your husband will enjoy viewing before going to sleep. Check art.com or Z Gallerie. I love the idea of Roman shades on each of your windows. Either match the wall or go with a wheat color. Have fun with the moving around of the accents, every thing (except centering the dresser) is just fine.

    rescuejill thanked sandradclark
  • 11 years ago
    You have a difficult wall behind the bed!

    One option is to close off that lone window but if light is a concern then you could add a big, tall painting on the other side of the bed. Or a mirror in a white or silver frame to create symmetry. Again the size should be close to the window.

    Above the bed you could add a complementary art running horizontally. The clock you have might work, can't tell if it's big enough.

    I like what someone mentioned before about using paper as template. Get paper and make different templates and sizes and tape them on the wall. Take pictures before you try a different idea.

    Please show us your final result too. We are curious.
    rescuejill thanked vayling
  • 11 years ago
    Will do! I appreciate all of the feedback. Here is the dresser centered. I then played with the TV a little bit. I am trying to figure out if I can balance it with art or something on the other side. DVD player can go. Here is bed centered. I am thinking it needs to love about am inch or two away from the window, especially if we get drapes for some sort. Thoughts?
    Here is the view of the room from the hall as well.
    Second and forth pics are nighttime.
  • 11 years ago

    How does the height/size of the lamps you are considering compare to the current lamps? A little taller would be good, but I wouldn't go any shorter than the current lamps.

    rescuejill thanked Ann
  • 11 years ago

    I am trying to find lamps of the same size. These are 28" I believe.

  • 11 years ago
    Bed at night and what do you think of this possible picture arrangement?
    Too are our three kids as newborns. Any thoughts where to use these? They are 8x10
  • 11 years ago

    Love the bed centered, but maybe consider plump mercury glass lamps for some sparkle in the room.....I think the new plump lamps would look very good if they were white white and possibley lined for even soft light dispersion. I still would like to see white or cream night stands but totally personal if you like them all matching.

    Have your adorable baby pics printed in black and whiteand possibly blown up in size if it doesn't distort them, (I am imagining square frames and have pics cropped square too) then buy frames that when 3 inches apart will take up most of the width above your headboard and use white white matts and black or silver or white frames. Hang them with the bottom less than 12 inches above the top of your headboard.

    Love the asymetric tv now. Great place to place a key tray for pocket stuff when Hubs comes home, and a great place for a pretty metal buffet lamp with maybe a black shade? Just some thoughts. How do you feel about it so far? Less stressed or more stressed? haha

    rescuejill thanked Susan Davis
  • 11 years ago
    We have looked at some mercury lamps as well. Trying to make sure we can tie it all together. Augh!
    This is not a great pic. They are Mayan drawings on animal skin that we had framed almost 12 years ago, we purchased on our honeymoon. They are about 49-50 with spacing here. We have king size bed. Wondering if these will be able to work over the bed. I will post cut outs tomorrow hopefully!

    Wondering if I can make the kid photos work on tv wall.
  • 11 years ago
    My view from bed. I have a mirror That I am wondering about working here.
  • 11 years ago

    I like the tv centered on the dresser better than off to one side. I'm not sure if someone mentioned this already, but have you considered mounting the tv to the wall and then creating a gallery around the tv as in the pictures below? I would, prefer, seeing the family pictures on their "own" wall if at all possible.


    rescuejill thanked User
  • 11 years ago

    I'd center the TV and not put the mirror there. One or the other, but not both.

    rescuejill thanked Ann
  • 11 years ago

    The lamps from Amazon which you are considering and which I own are 28" tall with nice big shades of 17" diameter. They will make a statement and have good flexible lighting, especially good if you like to read in bed.

    rescuejill thanked User
  • 11 years ago

    I'd hang the pictures in separate frames. That would give each more weight, more importance. Save that triple frame for another spot. Vary the mat size to compensate for different picture sizes. Large wide mats are lovely, and you don't always have to center the photo, especially with black and white or sepia prints.

    Of the arrangements above, I like the two bottom ones. Varied mats, varied frames, different frame materials.


    rescuejill thanked User
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Hi... long way down. :) Well I like your trim lamps which echo trim headboard. The 'paper' shades are nice also, and are they straw colored as mentioned, and a nice neutral from your spread? You don't have a lot of dark wood like many rooms do, so I don't think your room lacks that much..... it's understated would they say? ....some said don't paint your mirror and if you post we'll see what you think, if it's 'too traditional'/ aged....

    rescuejill thanked everdebz
  • 11 years ago

    Art could be the color instead of new lamps.

    rescuejill thanked everdebz
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    The paint colors are lovely. Good choices for ground work. The bedside lamps are too tall, out of proportion with the bed and ceiling height. Perhaps something like a carved stone wall relief for above the bed - smaller than you think.
    rescuejill thanked Belltown Design LLC
  • 11 years ago
    What about this for TV wall?
    In pictures, it looks like too much with the smaller piece. Maybe center TV under the center and left frames?
    I have two of these frames that I like. I can check to find out if I can purchase two more, so frames would all be the same. I would frame the 8x10 baby pictures in the top and get an Art Print for the one opposite the TV. I am wondering if something by Starla Michelle Halfmann would work or if the colors would be too much here. http://www.starlamichelle.com
  • 11 years ago
    Enjoy Doc McStuffins! She is helping with my toddler. This way, I can use the paper, tape, etc :-) What about this lay out?
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Rather than call attention to the TV wall, keep it simple with no pictures and just one item on the chest such as a plant. You already have a window there so a plant would be happy and it would soften the electronics aspect. Keep in mind that space itself is an element in decorating. The Japanese know this well. You don't have to put a picture on every wall. In fact I was thinking that it would be okay to have nothing hanging above the bed. Let the furniture (headboard) itself be the focal point balanced by the tables and lamps. Less is more.

    rescuejill thanked User
  • 11 years ago

    This last layout is looking pretty good. I think I might move the TV about 2 more inches to the right and not worry if it isn't centered exactly under the left two pics.

    rescuejill thanked Ann
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    I looked again from hall and noticed quite the contrast between board and white sheets. It might look more 'together' if sheets were blue like walls. The pattern to me is getting less focus.

    rescuejill thanked everdebz
  • 11 years ago
    So.... I found these lamps that I like. The shade on left is cream and one on right is grey. We like the grey, it pulls the bed. I also stumbled upon these throws. They started to pull everything together and I am thinking it works if I flip the bedspread......

    I will take better pics in day light. These are not that good at showing what it actually looks like.
  • 11 years ago

    okay- such bad pics. More to come

  • 11 years ago

    But it looks so good! I like your selections. Such fun for you!

    rescuejill thanked Susan Davis
  • 11 years ago

    O.K recuejill, I must say that I love both looks. Did you say you flipped the quilt? I love your new toss pillows-the contemporary design looks great with your headboard and wall color. If you can just flip your quilt, then you can have 2 entirely different looks when you get bored of one. Great job!

    rescuejill thanked User
  • 11 years ago

    Yes! I flipped it! When I brought home the throw pillows, they did not go great with the pattern, so I thought why not try the other side! I can take pics both ways tomorrow. We have also made the quilt our bedspread and used the duvet at the bottom in warmer months. Too cold for that in Buffalo right now! Ha!

  • 11 years ago

    So when you come across the right ones, you can get throw pillows that go with the other side and have 2 entirely different looks...Love it!

    rescuejill thanked User
  • 11 years ago

    I thought you said in an earlier post that you didn't like decorative pillows . . .too much fuss in moving them on and off the furniture??

    rescuejill thanked User
  • 11 years ago

    I think someone else posted that.... I don't care for too many decorative pillows. I can handle two :-) especially if they pull everything together and I really like them. Now, if they did not make me happy, then I would not want them :-)

    I think we are going to hang four pics- 3 above and one next to tv. Top three are kids and I think I am going to get a print for next to tv.

    Then hanging to Van Gogh prints on hubby's side of bed. He does not want any thing on his nightstand, so thinkibg I would hang these prints there and be done with the wall- nothing over the bed. Thoughts?

  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Your plan sounds good. I like both sides of the quilt and being able to change the look is all the better. I agree you don't need to hang anything over the bed. New lamps are pretty. Can't tell that one is gray but in any case you created a nice focal point. It sounds like you know what you want and you're almost there. Enjoy, and stay warm up there in Buffalo!

    rescuejill thanked User
  • 11 years ago

    Yes to the other side! The crisp contrast of dark board and sheets looks better with stripes, and fewer patterns. Cute pillows. :)

    rescuejill thanked everdebz
  • PRO
    11 years ago

    I would do a roman shade for the window on bed wall. The other wall could have draperies in the same fabric or roman shades on all windows would be good too.

    rescuejill thanked Gray & Walter, Ltd.
  • 11 years ago

    Hi all- shade dilemma....

    I like the grey shade better with the light on and the cream shade with the light off. What do you think? Night time pics again. Day time pics to come.

  • 11 years ago

    Switched to opposite sides of bed. What do you think? Started unmaking the bed so disregard the set up :-)


  • 11 years ago

    I like the cream shade better.

    rescuejill thanked Ann
  • 11 years ago

    I like the gray shade against the white blinds and the white shade against the wall color...but aren't you planning to either add some panels or a roman shade? If so, the white will look good. The gray really doesn't work against the wall color, so I say go with the white shades.

    rescuejill thanked User
  • 11 years ago
    I actually liked the initial side of the quilt. I think the new pillows will still work but might affect lampshade preference.
    rescuejill thanked er612
  • 11 years ago
    Here's a pic I saved a while back if you want to prefer the TV centered.
    rescuejill thanked er612
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Plantation shutters on the windows, a tall tufted upholstered headboard, a console or cabinet on the blank wall with large piece of artwork above. I could see a satin stripe on the wall, it takes a matte and glossy version of the same color. Paint the walls with the matte paint and then the stripes with the glossy. A subtle faux finish! How about a rattan or natural fiber ceiling light and matching lampshades? Good luck! -Erin
    rescuejill thanked Surroundings Custom Interiors, Inc.
  • 11 years ago
    Not sure if I am late to chime in, but I feel like your lamps should be a little taller.
    rescuejill thanked Alexandra
  • 11 years ago
    Here is where we are. I am happy with this. Feels welcoming and relaxing.
    Light is much better than what my phone camera shows. We just have one empty wall left and drapes needed.
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Great job! my fav is the tv wall. Could I suggest a tall mirror over the left night stand? it will balance out the window on the right.

  • 11 years ago

    Looks great!

  • 11 years ago

    Really like everything you've done! Would never have thought dark lamp shades, but they look sharp too. Guess you made the most of a heap of sometimes conflicting advice. :)

    For the big wall, I'd get away from the gallery approach and go for one larger piece. If your door is mostly open, then I think I'd let it be a vertical piece, off-center in a way that puts it just to the left of the open door. If you close the door often, then either a large horizontal piece (am presuming there's a good door stop, heh) or two vertical pieces, slightly offset vertically, such that one is all or mostly behind the door and one past it -- that is, arranged with the door closed so that the two end up centered on the whole wall. Would try to let this wall bring a little color to an otherwise muted (if glamorous) space.

  • 11 years ago
    Thank you! I was thinking one large colorful piece for the last wall or a vertical mirror. Pics coming soon!
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    The dark shade on the lamps look good, but I think black shades would be very dynamic expecially if they are lined in silver or gold. They will relate to the black in the TV wall arrangement. I think the grey is nice but I would try a black just to see if it is something that resonates with you. And I think a long vertical mirror would look very nice on your long vertical wall by the door. You have done a great job!

  • 11 years ago

    Would be nice to have a mirror in your room, since you don't have one over the dresser. Can't wait to see all the finishing touches.