Software
Houzz Logo Print
bailey510

Brown...brown...brown...what to do with this brown house?

11 years ago
Need some ideas on how to brighten this house up, too dark and well...just all brown!? Brown brick, brown trim, brown windows, brown doors, brown roof. It sits on a beautiful lot overlooking the river and the colors just don't do this house justice. Need some ideas?

Comments (21)

  • 11 years ago

    What a view! How about turning your house into a Carolina Low Country color scheme? White or cream trim, siding, bannisters, and washed brick for an antique brick look? See Houzz Photos under "Carolina Low Country" for some examples.


  • 11 years ago

    I would add some green in the trims and the railings

  • 11 years ago
    The house needs some pop! How about trying a salmon colored door and shutters. Leave the railings to the steps as they are.
  • 11 years ago
    That is a deep salmon.
  • 11 years ago
    Painting this thing white would look great but the constant upkeep in the future would be a challenge.
  • 11 years ago
    Having a hard time picturing the finished look with white. Not many photos on houzz with brown brick and white trim to get a good idea.
  • 11 years ago
    How much are you willing or able to change?

    What materials are used for siding, banisters, and stairs?

    I think the home needs some natural materials to connect it with its surrounding.

    The first thing I would do is refinish the door.

    Second would be to paint the eves and all window trim cream. Not white.

    I would paint the siding on the peak, the dormers, chimney etc. If they're cedar or wood you could even stain them. These would be nice if they were a lighter brown.

    I think sage would go really nice with this cocoa color. I would consider painting the door and adding shudders that color.

    Last. Bring in some fun colors with new landscaping that is not so symmetrical.
  • 11 years ago
    I would also hang window boxes! And put some plants on the porch.
  • 11 years ago
    The siding and banisters are wood, stairs are the same brick as the house.
  • 11 years ago
    I would also love purple with this!
  • 11 years ago

    Light gray or moss color on steps, rails, window frame, roof siding and a pop of color like brighter and lighter brown wood on front door. If you really want contrast, barn red always looks great with dark colors!

  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Add white shudders, white windows maybe make this house a crisp white and black theme but instead of the usual more white than black, do more black than white. Keep the darker theme going a bit. I love it!
  • 11 years ago


  • 11 years ago

    Yes! Way better!

  • 11 years ago
    I don't like the white. Too stark, boring and expected. I would play up the woodsy feel with shades of sage for trim and barn red for front door. Plus it will matter what window coverings are placed inside the house. Gorgeous home! Plant flowers too!
  • 11 years ago
    Hi again, even a real deep butterscotch color would be awesome with barn red door.
  • PRO
    11 years ago

    sage green, light gray, add shutters.... get some landscape with color...


  • 11 years ago
    I don't like the white windows and trim, all that does is emphasize how small the windows are. The moss green trim, and possibly some burgundy, as suggested by previous posters, would look great!,
  • 11 years ago
    I would leave the windows as they are too. I suggest lightening the colour on the railings around the front door. Also the landscaping is really letting you down because it's all dark. Lighten it up by putting in evergreens with a golden colour to them that will pop against your house. Here's an example:
    http://houzz.com/photos/5224997
  • 11 years ago
    Does the front have a lot of shade or does it get a lot of sun. I would change the landscape. As for the color it's difficult because it's all brown so you can go with bright or neutral colors.