Software
Houzz Logo Print
martis4

Looking for an Alternative to carrera marble

13 years ago
last modified: 13 years ago
I am building a new house and have chosen white kitchen cabinets. I love the look of carrera marble but don't care for how it holds up. Any suggestions for a natural looking substitute? Thanks!

Comments (24)

  • 13 years ago
    Yes! Quartz offers some beautiful looking alternatives. Lyra, by Silestone, is one.
  • 13 years ago
    Thanks Grace. I actually looked at that but with the small samples it's just so hard to tell if it will look "artificial". I appreciate the feedback and I'll take another look at it now!
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I've used Cambria's "Torquay" quartz with white cabinets in the past as a marble type substitute. http://www.cambriausa.com/en/our-collection/design-palette/Torquay/
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Barbara! That's great to know! I have an upcoming job where I'll be needing a marble substitute, and Torquay is one of the ones I'm planning to investigate. Do you have photos of the kitchens where you've used it? It would be interesting to see. I have a couple of other samples I like very much but have not used yet: QuartzMaster QM6800 White Arabascato and QM 8008 Cararra. Both are lovely.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Yes Barbara, I like the Cambria line myself. I guess it is one of the better products of it's kind.
  • 13 years ago
    Interiors, do you feel that the quality of some brands of quartz are better than others? Can you elaborate? Thanks.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Grace: No. Quartz is quartz. Extremely durable. The difference is in the fabricators, so choose wisely. Most granite fabricators now also offer quartz, and should have 12x12" samples in their showrooms. In and Milwaukee, Wisconsin I hire KG Stevens, Lakeside Stoneworks and Midwest Tops. Good luck.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    That's right, Blue Hot. Quartz is 93% crushed quartz stone and 7% resin and that's the same for all manufacturers. The difference is in colour and style only.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Hi there Cynthia, I won't have the Torquay kitchen photographed until the end of the month. It is a classic white kitchen--farm house sink, bridge faucet, glass backsplash. But, the Torquay would work equally well with a contemporary kitchen.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Sounds stunning... If you might be so kind, my email is ctaylorluce@cogeco.ca. I would LOVE to see the photos. Thank you Barbara.
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    I sell it and just wondered from the comment if there was something I needed to know. I agree with the importance of the co. doing the fabrication and installation.
  • 13 years ago
    Thanks for all the comments. Barbra, will you be posting those photos on Houzz? I'd love to see them as that's exactly the kitchen I'm doing-classic white, farm sink, bridge faucet (still unsure of faucet finish) and a subway tile backsplash.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    @Grace Reed, I guess a lot of people answered that question for me. What I actually meant was Personally they have colors and patterns that I tend to prefer over the others. It is just a taste thing. The above answers are true that the material is all basically the same. I hope that clarifies my answer.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Hi martis4, I will be posting photos of that kitchen (it's small) to my profile. The project will be called Marinwood Kitchen. Thanks for your interest!
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    martis4, here is an album where Silestone's Lyra was used as the countertops:
    http://www.houzz.com/projects/18795/Sandymount--Dublin-4

    In addition to using Lyra and Cambria's Torquay as marble substitutes, we have also used Compac's Perlino: http://www.compac.us/US/cuarzo/color.aspx?id=13 and Compac's Carrara: http://www.compac.us/US/cuarzo/color.aspx?id=4

    Best of luck!
  • 13 years ago
    Thank you Stoneshop! Beautiful kitchen and the Silestone looks great!
  • 13 years ago
    Thanks Barbra! I look forward to seeing the photos.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I've been to a couple of NKBA (National Kitchen and Bath) events out here in Vancouver at the Cambria show room and can say that this company (Cambria) has this stuff sorted out. Make sure you visit on of their show rooms - I think you will be well impressed.

    JW
  • 13 years ago
    I am also impressed by Cambria. I get their magazine and their marketing is outstanding. The online pics are so realistic and the colors so beautiful. They have something for everything and everyone. And, the quartzite is stunning. Thanks for sharing.
  • 13 years ago
    Thanks Stoneshop! Quartzite is exactly what I looked at yesterday and really liked...I think better than the man made products!
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    You're welcome, martis4! We tend to like them better than the man-made materials as well. They give added interest, plus no one else has that same exact piece of the earth!

    Keep us posted on your progress!
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Have you considered using concrete? One of the benefits with concrete is that a quality artisan can craft with virtually an endless combination of color, style, size, and finish. If you are in my area, I would love to talk with you about using concrete for your home, or find a local concrete artisan and discuss all the beautiful options concrete can provide. You can check out some additional photos on my profile page and again, feel free to contact with any questions.
  • 13 years ago
    I think concrete is beautiful (although probably not a marble substitute) but am very glad I read the Ideabook, Concrete: The Nearly indestructible Option and comments. There is a lot to understand before committing to it.