Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lavendar

Who's still here?

Lavender Lass
9 years ago

I know this forum has been slow, but I'm hoping we see more people this spring! Please stop by and let us know you're here and share your ideas for your own garden. Plans and pictures are always appreciated! :)

Comments (15)

• muscovyduckling
    9 years ago

I'm back after a long hiatus. It's autumn here so as soon as the weather cools down a bit I'll be hard at work again putting in some edibles :)

• muscovyduckling
    9 years ago

Ooh, very nice indeed!

Yes, my plans are vague at best, and change daily! I will have to get organised soon though, and the bare root fruit and rose nurseries open for orders next month!

• nancyjane_gardener
    9 years ago

I'm here. I grumbled about the new boards for a time, but after visiting some of the others came back here.

I finally figured out how to get pics from my phone to my computer, so hopefully I'll be able to post pics now! I'll give it a try soon. Have to organize everything. I still wish I could figure out phone straight to here! Nancy

• Lavender Lass
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I've found downloads are easy (hit photo below and choose download) but for some reason...my pictures don't work that way. Maybe they're too old?

Let me know if you find an easier way :)

• mystmaiden
    9 years ago

Hi there.

I'm not still here - I'm new here. I love the idea of a potager garden. We moved over the winter and moved my garden at the same time. I didn't have tons of time so it was sort of dig it up and stick it back in the ground and fast. No planning to speak of, alas. My gardens always wind up sort of cottage like with veg planted among the flowers. I have a separate spot for some veg here but got rained out. Maybe I can take some time during the rainy weather to plan a bit. Are there pics of potager gardens here on the forum somewhere?

• Lavender Lass
    Original Author
    9 years ago

There are many lovely gardens, on some of the different threads. You can do a 'search' at the top of this page. Or you can Yahoo or Google some images of 'potager gardens' or 'potager designs' like this....

https://images.search.yahoo.com/yhs/search;_ylt=A86.J3eWBQpVUz0ARzwlnIlQ;_ylu=X3oDMTBsOXB2YTRjBHNlYwNzYwRjb2xvA2dxMQR2dGlkAw--?_adv_prop=image&fr=yhs-mozilla-004&va=potager+designs&hspart=mozilla&hsimp=yhs-004

And one gal (Laura) has/had a blog called Lulabelle's View, with some beautiful pictures of her potager garden...

Link to her blog....

http://lulabellesview.blogspot.com/2009/07/care-for-tour.html

• ali-b
    9 years ago

I just stopped by after a long time away and was surprised by the new forum design. I've got Garden 2015 under lights right now. Here's a pic of Garden 2014:

Last season, I replaced the overgrown ornamental grasses and put in a relatively deer-safe herb garden in front. All the beds were lined with marigolds. This year, I'm using a variety of borders with more edibles: dwarf kale, lettuce, spinach, alyssum, marigolds, parsley, petunias.

• riverfarm
    9 years ago

I've got my seeds started indoors but haven't planned my potager yet in terms of what will go where this year. Last year I had a tick-borne disease which knocked me out for most of July, so sunflowers took over. They were gorgeous, but this year I'm hoping I'll be able to keep up with them so I can replant them where I'd like them to be!

• downhomephoenix
    9 years ago

2015's garden is in the planning stages right now (being only a year old) but we're adding a lot this year too. we made it functional last year, this year it's time to make it pretty. :) (sorry about the bad lighting.)

• mystmaiden
    9 years ago

Gorgeous gardens on both counts!

• zippity1
    9 years ago

i'm new here too and i have a new garden in a new place i also have two new hip replacements (actually one is 2 yrs old and the other is about 10 weeks old)
    i live south of houston texas so i should be able to garden throughout the year
    problems i'm facing besides lack of agility are deer-at least a million of them -- who stroll through yards in herds upwards of 20 and eat everything in sight....almost they even eat 35
    year old live oak trees (hanging branches)

other big problem is rain and i mean lots of it, gumbo (very sticky hard clay) and forthcoming are the swarms of mosquitoes and heat (it doesn't cool down much at night here)

should i stop now i think i'm so addicted i can't....

in november we transplanted 2 citrus, a mandarin orange and a 20 year old meyers lemon wh o had been in a pot all it's life we added expanded shale and raised bed soil and the old plant has been blooming since mid december, the mandarin orange had a huge bloom cycle about a month ago (early march) and then dropped all leaves and the tips of some branches are dying i don't like the looks of it maybe just too much rain.......anyway i've added a new meyer lemon and a rio red grapefruit and they appear to be doing well

since i also have to be so selective about which plants i can use because of the deer and i love bees and butterflies i've added the following about a dozen types of salvia,butterfly weed, lantana, dill, fennel, basil, parsley, and a small bay tree, lemon balm, rosemary, chives, mexican mint marigold, thyme, cuphea, poinciana, and some accidental berry vines and some containerized mint and some tomatoes i also have some endless summer hydrangeas, a banana shrub and 2 camellias so far the deer have walked up and sniffed a few times and turned and walked away, i hope that continues

i'm planting in two raised beds and have plans for several more (trees are not in the two beds )

the lot is close to 5 acres but i'm trying to keep my gardening down to maybe an 8th of an acre

i love the look of a kitchen garden and hope to hear what everyone is planting and "see their efforts" (unfortunately we are living in the dark ages at our house and have only trac phones which we rarely use, so i can't post photos yet.....

• Rodney DEAL
    8 years ago

i am back - reworking the potager - will have photos soon - looking forward to getting back into the loop

• riverfarm
    8 years ago

zippity1, have you tried Deeraway? That's what I use on my ornamentals. It actually works. MrToad, looking forward to your photos.

• zippity1
    8 years ago

i'm at the end of my first bottle of deer b gone which has worked and smells like cloves

i'll pick up the deeraway next trip to town i've heard if you switch "odors" it keeps the deer from becoming accustomed to one kind and ignoring it so thanks for the tip....r

Sponsored