9 years ago

F2 from "Chico" x H.papilio

on a particularly foggy day

and (after) a total Solar Eclipse in the late morning:

Comments (69)

• lenanen
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Handsome and impressive flower indeed! Also I find Playful very attractive. Fantastic creations altogether, the whole lot.

haweha thanked lenanen
  • kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    9 years ago

It's nice that they seem to send out offsets so easily. They are all beautiful.

haweha thanked kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
  • haweha
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Unfortunately, the majority of my very favorized are yet to put any offset. F1#18 is an exception! On the other hand, the large, spiderous flowers of this sibling wilt away rather fast.

The sibling F1#3 produced a second bloom:

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    9 years ago

Beautiful!

K

haweha thanked kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
  • blancawing
    9 years ago

Greetings Hans-Werner,

Isn't this one one your precious seedlings???

Kind regards,

Blanca

Hans-Werner's Photo???

haweha thanked blancawing
  • haweha
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I don't know what to do about it. EBAY does not even provide an e mail address for contacting them.

• jessiann63
    9 years ago

These are all so beautiful it's impossible to pick a favorite!

haweha thanked jessiann63
  • haweha
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you! In all humility it is fair to say this is just the beginning, I have approximately 30 younger seedlings of F2, mainly from F1#15 x F1#18 in the queue, but I also got plenty of seedlings from F2("5-pack") x F1#15. Fortunately this kind of Amaryllis does not require as much area per bulb

The first 5 lines in the foreground, however, are F2("playful") x F1#15

• blancawing
    9 years ago

Hello again Hans-Werner,

Here is some information that may be helpful in protecting your beautiful images.

Cheers,

Blanca

Reporting Intellectual Property Infringements

haweha thanked blancawing
  • lenanen
    9 years ago

Wonderful!!

Wouldn't you be needing foster homes soon... ;)

haweha thanked lenanen
  • haweha
    Original Author
    9 years ago

That's a good idea! I will keep in mind...

To my surprise, a daughter bulb of F1#3 produced a scape. This was the first scape of #3 with 5 florets:

I love the conspicuous curvatures in the lower segments

Annother sibling, "the strong one" (scapes much larger than the other siblings, and the floral segments broader too) produced a nice umbel too:

• haweha
    Original Author
    8 years ago

The seed parent of the following F2 specimen is most likely the F1 sibling shown above, which was the one and only with a subtle cross-venation.

• JoshY
    8 years ago

The above plant is very nice, I love the middle tepals and color distribution is great

haweha thanked JoshY
  • haweha
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hmmm...

There is a second scape with 5 florets emerging...

• lenanen
    8 years ago

Very handsome! Thank you for the photo.

I can't wait to start creating my own papilio-hybrids!! But it will still take some time because I'm growing my breeding stock from seed...

haweha thanked lenanen
  • haweha
    Original Author
    8 years ago

The second scape...

• JoshY
    8 years ago

That's such a nice plant, Hans. What do you think about it?

haweha thanked JoshY
  • haweha
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I think about it, that I should pollinate my first bloom of H.papilio from it, which is due in couple weeks...

• haweha
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I think it is my favorite of the season...

• haweha
    Original Author
    8 years ago

You might recognize this one, it is the specimen I showed first. This is the 3rd scape, including the maiden bloom in March, indoors. This is a favorite, too, not only did it produce 3 scapes during 6 months, also the colors are intense, the edges of the tepals are slightly undulated and there is such a nice, conspicuous red lining on them. This sibling is capable of producing seed...

(The upper flowers with slight cross-venation on them are from yet another sibling)

this is the sibling with cross-venation.

Yet another sibling.

• JoshY
    8 years ago

Very nice! I especially like the reflexed tepals of the ones with the cross-venation. They all seem to take after H. cybsiter in regards to the floriferousness. It would be nice if a backcross with H. papilio created a plant with an even stronger "butterfly" shape that produced as many flowers and scapes as these.

You certainly have a great eye for breeding.

haweha thanked JoshY
  • haweha
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you! "Wer die Wahl, hat die Qual" and the number of seedlings which appear a good choice, is still growing...

• haweha
    Original Author
    8 years ago

hmmm...

• Ayina
    8 years ago

Very beautiful! Love all your collections!

haweha thanked Ayina
  • brigarif Khan
    8 years ago

BEAUTIFUL, is All I can say.

haweha thanked brigarif Khan
  • JoshY
    8 years ago

That last one looks like something that would have been produced from H. bukasovii, it's very beautiful!

haweha thanked JoshY
  • berkeleysgr8
    8 years ago

I love cybisters! All of these flowers are so pretty!

haweha thanked berkeleysgr8
  • anadj76
    8 years ago

Love all of your creations, they are so Beatiful!!!!!!!

haweha thanked anadj76
  • haweha
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you all for your comments.

My Significant-Other appreciates the specimen above particularly.

here it is in full bloom:

• haweha
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Whereas this sibling is, due to its conspicuous venation, a candidate for the pollination of my 2nd floret of H.papilio which is in bloom right now, indoors.

• haweha
    Original Author
    8 years ago

i suspect this seedling of being wrangled into this place, it should not be an F2 from "Chico" x H.papilio but a specimen of ("Giraffe" x "Chico") x ("Chico" x H.papilio)

• haweha
    Original Author
    8 years ago

The Floret in the background has 7 Tepals and 6 Anthers, and the one on the right side 8 Tepals, 8 Anthers and a 4-part Stigma.

• berkeleysgr8
    8 years ago

I like the mostly green one at the bottom and the darkest red- the flower shapes and coloration are very nice. They are all lovely though.

haweha thanked berkeleysgr8
  • haweha
    Original Author
    8 years ago

The ballon effect contributed to the shape of the bloom of this sibling.

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    8 years ago

So beautiful....

haweha thanked dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
  • Carl
    8 years ago

Heyja Haweha,

You started with the solar eclipse, did you take a picture of the lunar eclipse? I did not try my luck with our camera, but I did capure the "blood moon" that followed:

Everything else · More Info

I love your Cybister-creations, but I think the best I have seen so far from you are the PapMinPic-crosses!

I have 'Bogota' and 'Emerald' here, in which direction would you try to breed? I could, for example, use dutch hybrids, 'Mrs. Garfield' or also Papilio? I have a lot of pollen stored ...

haweha thanked Carl
  • haweha
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Unfortunately I totally missed the spectacular event, however my parents watched it and if my memory does not deceive me, they indicated that they took pictures. If you have "Emerald" in bloom then you might consider "Mrs. Garfield" and H.papilio for crosspollination. As regards "PapMinPic1", I applied its pollen on the last 8 flowers of "Melusine" and now I am about to obtain, after all, 2 seed pods. "Melusine" is very reluctant at producing seed pods; I feel fortunate...

• Carl
    8 years ago

Nothing in bloom right now, but I have a newly purchased papilio bulb. What are the chances in that direction? Are these cybisters real diploids? I remember reading something of odd ploidity levels.

I have pollen of:

• Minvera x white (to compete with your PapMinPic ... though the idea of a red-white bloom on papilio crossed my mind before I saw your creations! ;) )
    • Sydney x Supreme Garden (this pollen is way too old, I'm still waiting for the other siblings to bloom - I think I tried it on Bogota but it did not take)
    • Sydney x Amputo (also the first of five to bloom)
    • Mrs Garfield
    • La Pango ;)
    • Bogota
    • Emerald

Everything at least half a year old and stored at room temperature ...

But ... I also ordered the speckled 'Spotlight', which will hopefully bloom first

haweha thanked Carl
  • oleg9grower
    8 years ago

All the pollen that is stored at room temperature, can be discarded. In hippeastrum pollen does not live more than a couple of weeks after flowering. I keep it in the refrigerator, and I advise you, too.

haweha thanked oleg9grower
  • haweha
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I am inclined to second Oleg on the viability of pollen stored at ambient temperature for more than a couple weeks.

• Carl
    8 years ago

I did read that the pollen stays viable longer than you'd think somewhere ... but I guess mine is of no use anymore ... I will try though ... sometimes you get lucky. Next time I'll store it in the freezer.

• haweha
    Original Author
    6 years ago

My favorite of 2015 ( plz go to my posting of August 26, 2015 at 2:57PM)

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    6 years ago

Hans-Werner,

Thanks for resurrecting this lovely thread. Such an inspiration!! I wonder... how many of these crosses do you still have?
    This one is just one of the prettiest I've seen!! I hope people remember to click on these pictures to see the full resolution.....

haweha thanked dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
  • haweha
    Original Author
    6 years ago

During the last 4 years or so I had no losses to deplore. They are all there! The seedlings In their balcony boxes, in two lines, 6 to 10 per line!

• jstropic (10a)
    6 years ago

Can never see these pictures enough!

haweha thanked jstropic (10a)
  • Fred Biasella
    6 years ago

I couldn't agree more :-))))

haweha thanked Fred Biasella
  • haweha
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Thank you so much! Two other siblings of the same "batch" of 18 siblings of F2 are about to bloom. This season is - hitherto - a better year for me, I am capable of putting more Diligence in this subject than usual.

• haweha
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Do you recognize this one? Its maiden bloom is shown in the very first Picture. This one is a "Producer" too, with two scapes per Season.

• catsandhippies
    6 years ago

Wow! I simply cannot decide which I like most! Thank you for creating all those beauties and sharing their pictures with us!

Anja

haweha thanked catsandhippies
Sponsored
More Discussions