Software
Houzz Logo Print
jill_lindsey4039106

Please help our entryway!

11 years ago
Hi y'all ! I want to transform this small entryway. The color is not great. The paint has texture in it. I love the front door and the floor. I'm stuck on what to do with the rest. Any advice would be so helpful ! Thanks so much! Have a great day.

Comments (17)

  • 11 years ago

    Given the colour of the floor and door which you like, if it was mine I think I'd consider making the paint work much lighter in a warm colour, like a pale yellow, or a very pale peachy cream.

  • 11 years ago

    I don't think the color is bad at all but the doors are all competing for attention. I would paint the doors black. This would tone them down, add some sophistication and bring the focus to the front door (that you like) which looks good with the tone of the hardwood floors. If the area becomes too dark as a result, then choose a lighter wall color; perhaps a lighter gray. If you search "black doors" in HOUZZ, you will see many lovely examples. Good luck!!

  • PRO
    11 years ago

    I love the floor and door color and how they compliment each other. The door wood is very lovely, (and that is coming from someone that isn't afraid to paint wood!) so please don't paint it!
    If it was my entry, or a client's here is the process I'd do:

    1st, get a rug. Make it a beautiful rug, wool, hand hooked variety with color that repeat the colors in your house. That will introduce your color scheme. (and make sure the rug is large enough)

    2nd: Choose your wall color from that rug... well at least make sure it compliments and doesn't fight with that rug. I'd shoot for a very pale gray color for the walls. With the very warm, reddish tones of the woods, gray will contrast that nicely.

    3rd, get the flag thing off the one door, and the hook thing off the other door, remove the small vanity mirror from the table and accessorize the room with a more grand approach. A mirror is a good idea, but make one that has a great frame for the wall.

    one last thing I'd do is change out the light fixture to something that more updated, that one looks a little 80's... or you could even get a wonderful vintage light fixture.

    Hope these ideas help! Liz www,HometoCottage.com


  • 11 years ago

    I agree with springcath. Also if you can rid of the "popcorn" ceiling, that would be helpful to bring it up to date.

  • 11 years ago

    oh just had another thought about the rug purchase. Looks like one white door and the wood door opens toward the hallway, as the other opens inward to another room. The white door looks like it could clear a rug on the floor, but not sure how tight to the floor the wood door is. Hope this helps.

  • 11 years ago
    Thank you neotoma! I agree ! Those colors would brighten up the small area!
  • 11 years ago
    Ladyd795 I will check that out thank you so much !!!
  • 11 years ago
    What wonderful ideas home cottage . Com! I love the idea of the gray paint and I never thought about the rug! I will totally take down the stuff on the walls my kids did that lol. Thank you so much ! I love your website also !
  • 11 years ago
    Springcath wow thank you so much ! I agree with you ! Definitely a new color and a rug would help ! Thanks again !!
  • 11 years ago
    Renee I may have to purchase a smaller rug. Ill have to check to see if the front for would move it . Thanks so much for your advice !
  • 11 years ago
    I just wanted to thank you all again for your help . I will post the pictures again when I'm finished! Have a happy day!
  • PRO
    11 years ago

    An easy way to get rid of popcorn ceiling is to cover it with stretch ceiling. This is a tough, thin stretchy membrane that is supported around the perimeter.


    Red Gloss Ceiling · More Info

    It comes in over 280 colours, a choice of textures, and the option to use translucent membrane. It can also be digitally printed with any high resolution photo or graphic.

    Backlit Stairwell Mural · More Info
    LED Backlit Translucent Ceiling · More Info


    ...or lit from behind.
    We usually do residential rooms in less than half a day. Please check out our profile for more ideas!

    Reflective Stretch Ceiling in Modern Loft · More Info


  • 11 years ago
    Thank you very much Laqfoil!!
  • 11 years ago
    This is cute, it might work in that small space . It's also very dark, if you lighten up the color here, it will not only make it a more inviting space, it will also make it look larger.
  • 11 years ago
    Oh wow Lynn ! Thank you !!!
  • 11 years ago
    Your front door and wood floors are lovely. I would put a big mirror on the wall above the table to help reflect light around the space, and add a small lamp on top of the table so that you can have a small cozy warmer welcoming light without the overhead glaring when you want. At my house we would also need a little dish on that table to toss keys, pizza delivery cash, lunch money etc. I would paint the walls a lighter color for this dark little corner and help the white doors blend in....or paint them, make less contrast. Or, depending on what is behind them maybe you could remove them? But I'm just here learning from the experienced sages though
Sponsored
AIS Renovations
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County, Ohio