Software
Houzz Logo Print
ddoeing

Painting stair risers

11 years ago

Has anyone successfully painted their stair risers a color other than white? The white picks up so many scuffs/smudges that I can't keep it clean. Was thinking of one of these… What do you think?


Comments (19)

  • 11 years ago

    I had mine painted 'iron ore' by Sherwin Williams last year. I did it because I looked at several pics of painted risers on houzz. I really like the darker risers - u can still see the shadow of scuff marks - just not the actual dirt. I think your gold colors would still show dirt. Sorry I'm not tech-savvy enough to attach pics.

  • 11 years ago

    if you type painted stair risers into the houzz search box you can find some good ideas. i have to say i'm not loving your deep yellow in contrast to your treads. : (

  • 11 years ago

    *links pinkies with nomimama*

  • 11 years ago

    I am almost done with my stairs project. We ripped out all the carpet and debated on either painting the risers white, gel staining to match the hand rail, or have the floor guy stain to match the floors that he was refinishing. We decided to go with the stain to match the floors as we felt that it would wear the best with kids and dogs (and reason that we decided to carpet treads. One day we will hardwood the treads too. We are very happy with the final result.

  • 11 years ago
    Think the gold color might really stick out and make staircase look like elephant in the room.
  • 11 years ago
    I had same problem so I designed and hooked rugs for my stairs! Here are some. But I'm just showing off! I think you are on the right track but would 'paint' a runner onto the stairs. Keep it simple and store the paint in a Mason jar for occasional touch ups with a foam brush.
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Those hooked rugs are awesome. I think you could sell them.

  • 11 years ago

    Totally agree gold/mustard tone is not ideal. Just stared at the other colors and could not settle on one that would down play the beige walls and and ugly laminate flooring. Any ideas for alternate colors?

    Also love the idea of hooked rugs by the way.

  • 11 years ago
    I love the idea but never having them and looking at your pics, I would use a greige or taupe like color. It will help to downplay the beige carpeting but still add a nice neutral punch to your staircase!! Sherwin Williams has some really nice colors in this family, but take those swatches to Home Depot and they will match the color with their Behr paint.
  • 11 years ago
    How about a color that plays off your console table?
  • 11 years ago

    i was thinking blue before i saw the console table... so yes, its worth considering.

  • 11 years ago

    the good thing its an easy and inexpensive project. dont be frozen in the headlights, grab a couple color sample pots and go. dont paint fewer than 4 of the same color next to each other tho or you cant tell which to use (unless you plan to do multiple colors).

  • 11 years ago
    When we had the stairs in our center hall colonial refinished many years ago they stained the steps AND the risers...we hadn't considered the risers so we were a bit surprised but we were never bothered by them. It was a pretty dark stain too.
  • 11 years ago

    I like the greige idea. Thanks. Was hoping to get something to "pop" but that might be tough with all the colors/materials in the stupid space. The table is a teal and it matches the bottom half of the wall in adjacent dining room. I'd be worried to do more real but if you can think of another blue that would work?

  • 11 years ago
    Another option to painting is nailing thin board to it. It's white but it wipes all well. Like bead board that is flat
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    What about a stair runner. The way your stairs are now are the correct way to paint them. Magic eraser works wonders.
  • 11 years ago
    Older post.....
  • 11 years ago
    If you're serious about looking for a blue, then how about a medium dark grayish blue with just a hint of teal? Your colors don't need to match, they just need to play off each other. And that would be pretty good at hiding those toe scuffs.