Software
Houzz Logo Print
yagnivek

Unidentified seed.. thing?

11 years ago
last modified: 11 years ago

While planting my banana trees, I ran across a bulb of sorts. It was mostly white with red mottling. almost perfectly round with a root tail coming off one side. Smooth skin and soft-firm touch. About 3/4 - 1 inch in diameter.

I thought it might have been a fungus so I cut it in half only to find it was a seed. The "flesh" was a clear jelly, and is almost identical to the consistency and properties of standard personal lubricant. The kernel and surrounding flesh is white and brittle. Very faint odor but is similar to what most plants that have a bitter taste smell like. No sweetness, in the aroma. I did not want to even try a taste test, and google and various other sites have not returned an answer. I'm also pretty sure it is not the beginning of a banana tree as mine have never produced bananas because OK doesn't have a long enough season for them and all my banana trees sprout off the root ball of the "parent" plant.

Pictures of it below.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Columbus' Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting