Software
Houzz Logo Print
annegriet

Doorman Building vs Brownstone?

11 years ago

Looking at both types of condos. I think the doorman building offers better security and more amenities. Has anyone had experience with either or both of these types of condos? Pros/cons? Thanks!

Comment (1)

  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    We just moved into a doorman building and I love it. We lived previously, not in a brownstone, but in a smaller vintage building that might be a little like a brownstone. There were 36 units in my old building, six units to a 'tier'. I only ever saw the people on my tier. We shared a common entrance and storage room etc. the doorman building is a huge mid rise in south Loop Chicago.

    Points in favor of the doorman building.

    One, there's someone to receive my packages. I had problems with UPS not wanting to leave packages and I would have to to the ups facility to pick them up.

    Two- when I get home from work, a familiar face greets me.

    Three- they call up when visitors arrive, I don't have to buzz people in myself. I do feel this is more secure.

    Four- elevator! After living in a third floor walk up for years, the elevator is such a relief. Especially when you have groceries and packages.

    Five- professional management. The old building was self managed with a part time person for paperwork and such. It was so hard to get anything done by the part time person. Here, the management is responsive and fast.

    Points against the doorman building.

    One- it's so huge. I'm not even sure how many units there are. But with so many units, condo board stuff is much more formal and political. In the old building, I lived upstairs from the board president. If I had a concern, I'd just bring it when I saw her in the laundry room.

    Two- things were very informal at the old place. If I wanted to have the plumber or electrician over, I just did. Didn't have to contact anyone. At the doorman building, the contractors have to speak with the management office in advance, provide license and insurance info. I understand why, but after years of just doing whatever whenever, it's taken getting used to.

    Three- I haven't really met anyone yet. I hardly ever see the same people twice. In the old place, I saw my neighbors all the time. On the other hand, this could be bad. The one woman across the hall from us was such a pill. I would say hi to her and she would just scowl at me.

    Four- assessments are a bit higher, but not outrageously so. Both places provide a lot of amenities for the Amount paid.

    Overall, I'd say, doorman building comes out ahead, but my years at the vintage building were pleasant too.

Sponsored