lisaa007

buh bye old kitchen! Hello, new kitchen!

lisa_a

After 7 1/2 yrs of dreaming and planning, my reno has started! I'm pinching myself because I can't believe the day has finally arrived. There's a whole lot of noise and destruction happening here.

And here's my new (temporary) kitchen in the laundry room. We're using the den (right around the corner) for the MW and pantry goods.

We pulled out the tall cab from the laundry room (laundry room will be reno'd next) and DH added a counter above the metal shelving units we bought for storage so that we have a full 54" of counter to use, plus room for the toaster oven.

Blue painters tape has so many uses. I labeled all cabs and drawers so that the fam can find things.

• autumn.4

Well actually they should GIVE you a rack for all the trouble they caused. That would be a perfect kitchen warming gift don't you think?

Oh it's coming. I will surely do it but I ran out of gas after all the DIY. This fall, yes this fall I will actually finish. It's the 2 year plan. :D

• lisa_a

Sigh.

I thought we'd have glass in our cabs by now, the last detail to be done to finish off the kitchen. But nope.

They came on Tuesday to install the 4 panels for the doors and 1 panel for the side of a cab. Got the door panels in but couldn't do the cab side because the pane was 1/8" too wide. They tried to cut it on site but it broke (really hard to cut that tiny bit off).

They were supposed to come back to finish up today, arriving sometime after 1pm. It's now nearly 7, PST and they haven't shown up so I guess they aren't coming today. I wasted a whole afternoon waiting for them to show.

I was really looking forward to unpacking the last box of glassware.

Sigh.

Boring 10 year old kitchen, needs help!

Ten years isn't 'old' for a kitchen as long as it functions well! It looks the photos were taken during the day with the lights on, but it appears a little heavy, as if the light can't peek through. As privacy is an issue, consider a roof light in a suitable style and perhaps some greenery in the garden.... It also looks like you've been 'tweaking' the look all along, so you have a mix of the original 'country' (timber units, backsplash, valance, flooring), city cafe updates (fridge, coffee machine, jug, phone) and French Provincial to 'cosy' it (wrought iron chairs, lighting, fruit bowl, tapware bay window and wall decorations). Firstly, lighten up with a 'rationalisation' of what's on the counter and cupboard tops and walls in the adjacent area and see what you have. Decide what you'd like to dominate and what you'd like to downplay/replace by working with the palette of stainless, black, tan and beige initially then think about painting the available walls for a colour injection. Elements to add to your preferred option from above suggestions: country - light-coloured roman blind, painting the unit black with simple chairs (as pictured), change hardware to black including the faux drawers (way cheaper than new doors/units) Provincial retains the wrought iron, consider liming/painting the cabinetry cream with wrought iron handles, and use idea elements from the country look cafe style - stainless square handles, tapware and electric socket covers with stainless or glass panel backsplash, aluminium blind the same slat-size as your others, a row of (3) sleek pendant lights above the peninsula and simple barstools, replace some upper cabinet doors in glass with square aluminum frames. Finally, add a large bunch of flowers.

Please help! There's an old kitchen in our "new" house!

You can purchase plate hangers at the hardware store ( even the big box stores carry them ) in the section with picture hanging hardware. They are wires that stretch to fit on the back edges of the plate and then can be hung on the wall. They do not damage the plate but make it secure to hang.

Sionara old oak and hello beautiful new digs! What do u think?

@HaleyDaniels I had my house custom built and because it's on the side of a mountain, it cost an extra $100,000, which meant I needed to cut costs in many other ways. One way I did it was to get cabinets from KitchenResourcesDirect.com . I ordered the sample door to check it out, and it was very nice. They offer solid cherry or solid maple and a gazillion styles. I did not want "RTA" (ready to assemble) cabinets, so I went with the Deerfield line. Two weeks of every month they are on sale, which means 15% off. The cabinets are solidly built with plywood boxes, dovetail joints and Blum (soft close) hardware. The only downfall I could find was base cabinets had 1/2 shelves unless you went with roll out trays (which I did). Long story short, I got 18 base cabinets and 11 wall cabinets, varied depth on some of them, crown moulding, the dishwasher trim, and trim to make the range hood, and filler where needed. Delivered I spent under $12,000.

Old house, dysfunctional kitchen - layout help

No, I appreciate it! Random design softwares are coming up with less than 53” to the wall and less than 48” to the fridge (maybe they count fridge handles and extra space around appliances?). I guess that is why I need a professional to do the measurements and the renderings :) My mom also suggested (to keep costs down) to rotate the appliances so the sink is where it is today, move range to back wall and put fridge where the range is (same peninsula). This would probably be the most cost effective (keep both windows, no movement of plumbing), but we are now making all traffic to the fridge cross with the cooking triangle. Is that a huge no-no? I wonder if we can use this suggestion as a fall-back in case the first estimate is too high. But if We are talking a couple to several of thousand difference it really is not worth it. also, realized that we will barely have any drawer storage in the kitchen, but I guess that is something we may have to live with.
  • blfenton

And we were really looking forward to more pics.

Sigh.

:-)

• lisa_a

And I'm looking forward to posting pics! I never expected it would be 4 months from tear-out to reveal.

Heard from my GC this am. The glass pane broke in transit to my house. The company called my GC but he didn't get the message until after they were closed and he didn't know why they had called (didn't leave a message, not very smart).

They're coming on Tuesday to put that final piece of glass in.

• autumn.4

Do they realize how many people are waiting on that final piece of glass? ;) ;)

• cpartist

Sure you said you're just waiting on the glass. Do you realize I'm leaving this coming Wed and won't have computer access or time until I get back on Sept 13th? Sigh.

• lisa_a

lol, Autumn!

cpartist, I'll try to get some pics posted on Tuesday, just for you. =)

• autumn.4

That works for me - no plans on Monday night so I can bake myself a nice perusing treat.

• funkycamper

Counting the minutes for pix!!

• isabel98

me too, i keep checking this hoping to see more of your yummy kitchen.

• lisa_a

Sigh.

I've been waiting since 8am for them to come install the final piece of glass. Just heard that they won't be by until the end of the day, likely dinner time or slightly afterwards. Sorry, all, but that means no reveal thread today. I won't have enough time to unload the last of my glassware and I've got a full day tomorrow so it won't happen tomorrow either.

Autumn, I hope whatever you baked will keep a few more days. =)

• cpartist

Lisa please post a few? I leave tomorrow morning!

• autumn.4

Lisa I am gaining weight eating all these treats I continually bake in anticipation!!! :O

• autumn.4

Shall I call them for you? I will if you want. I'll tell them I am one of MANY MANY kitchen ooglers that are waiting for that glass! Or maybe I should have sent them some cookies!

• lisa_a

lol, Autumn!

cpartist, I feel really badly but I won't be able to post any pics for you. DS2 decided that since the glass guy wasn't coming until later today, he was going to make cookies again. My kitchen is a mess right now and I won't be rid of the last box in my DR until the glass is installed so that's no good either.

But I can post a pic of my family room and our artwork. Hopefully that will tide you over. =)

Not the best lighting but if I turned on any lights, the artwork would be obscured by reflections on the glass.

My dad and DH built the mantel and bookcases on each side of the fireplace. I designed them. They were stained to match our old cabinets and now look a bit too orange (although not as orange as they look in this photo). We're investigating if there's a way to stain them a bit darker/less orange without obscuring the grain (mantel is quartersawn oak).

We had the TV cabinet modified during the remodel. It used to be an angled cabinet, built for our old TV but we didn't need such a large cab for our flat screen. DH still needs to rebuild the doors for the cab below the TV.

Oops, I just realized that I haven't hung the Ansel Adams print yet. That was my wedding present to DH.

Here's a close-up of our artwork.

My cousin painted the bottom left watercolor. We own 2 of his oils, too (inherited from my dad). He's an amazing artist but his prices are beyond our budget now (good for him, not so good for us).

The 2nd piece from the top left and the bottom right piece are also original water colors, both purchased from local artists. You can't see the detail in the bottom right watercolor but the artist cut and then wove the watercolor in a few areas. We love the effect.

The top right piece is a numbered print of an original pastel. The 2 smallest pieces are prints (greeting cards) from original batik prints by a Ugandan artist. They have fabulous stories about the symbolism in each.

The biggest piece is actually a poster on very heavy paper that DS2 brought back from Italy and Spain when he went there with his 8th grade Spanish class 8 years ago. I finally got it framed last year.

I'm waiting to hear from my interior designer about the drape install (we are having existing drapes refashioned). If the install will be soon, I'm going to wait to do my reveal until then so you may not miss anything while you're gone.

When we started this remodel, I did not expect all these little details to be stalling the finish as much as they are. I am so burnt out. I can't imagine how any of you doing DIY or whole house remodels keep your sanity!

• blfenton

What a comfortable looking room and I was admiring that watercolour that your cousin did. It's so neat that all your art work has a story for you. I also like your floor reading lamp. That is really cool looking.

• autumn.4

"I can't imagine how any of you doing DIY or whole house remodels keep your sanity!"

Lisa lisa lisa - it's all about the baked goods. That's how it goes. I didn't do a whole house remodel but we DIY'd much of a house build. I have 10 pounds to lose and I keep baking away and eating away. It's not happening. I need to promise myself after your kitchen reveal and my backsplash installation I need to slow it down...but winter is coming and more baking.

Quartersawn oak - ohhh very nice! Love the art-especially when it's meaningful and has a story behind it. I just framed a couple of my kids artwork and hung it, now it's not like your cousins or the others but for 10 and 12 yo's - I cherish it.

• lisa_a

blfenton, I bought the black wrought iron floor lamp from Ethan Allen just after I bought the bench 15 years ago. I liked its vintage appeal, plus its weight means it doesn't topple over easily.

The bench is an antique from Madagascar that I bought at the Van Dusen Garden Show in Vancouver, BC. I fell in love with it immediately and after borrowing a tape measure and figuring out that yes, it would fit in my VW Passat Wagon, I bought it. Two people made me offers for it as my friend and I carried it to my car. Nope, I wasn't selling!

lol, Autumn. Normally, I gain weight when stressed but not this time. I lost weight (20 lbs, yay!). Not a diet plan I'd recommend but I'm happy to have lost my grief weight gained after my dad died 3 years ago and then some.

I have 4 pieces of art my kids made, framed and hung in my den. Love them! I also have three things they made out of clay: an orca, a fox and a small cup. We've had to repair the fox's tail and the cup at least once each but I love them even despite their imperfections. Or maybe because of them.

• aries61

It's Thursday and still no pictures!

• elatsch

I'm a newcomer to the tread but I can feel the anticipation, it's contagious!

Lisa now you've got me wanting to find a way to display my inherited rolling pin once our kitchen is done, anxious to hear what you've come up with!

• lisa_a

We have glass installed - yay - but I still need to unpack the final box. Or maybe it's two boxes. It's been so long, I can't remember what's left to unpack. My oldest son is home for a visit so I'm sure you'll understand that I want to spend time with him instead of unpacking boxes at the moment.

I found out that our drapes will be done in about a week so I was planning to hold off on the reveal until they're up anyway instead of doing a reveal and then a re-reveal shortly afterwards (I don't think a room is done until the windows are dressed). With luck, we'll also have our kitchen chairs, recovered in this really cute print, by that time, too. Then all I'll need is the obligatory vase of flowers, bowl of fruit and tea kettle and my kitchen will be ready for its close-up. =)

If you can all bear with me for just a little longer....

Elatsch, I've asked DH to make me a rolling pin stand but that will have to wait until the poor guy has some down time. He's been working nearly non-stop since March to meet end of project deadlines. He's looking forward to the end of his 3 year stint as lead engineer. And so am I!

• rebunky

I totally understand you waiting until it's all done for the reveal. We can be patient, but it won't be easy....I am not sure if you planned on starting a new reveal thread or not, but I sort of like the idea of you continuing it on this one. It just might hit the all time record for posts after the reveal comments are added on! :-)))

• autumn.4

thought for sure we'd have a puzzle pic of just the glass. ;)

• lisa_a

Here you go, Autumn! =)

rebunky, lol, we went over on our remodel timeline so why not go over on the post count. But I think I'll start a new thread for my reveal.

• blfenton

Sure do like those cabinets.

lisa_a thanked blfenton
  • autumn.4

Nice Lisa! All my cookies are gone. I do have watermelon and sweet corn but I think I'll have to just bake again. Just picked up another bag of semi-sweet morsels...

• Maine Susan

I love that the side of the cabinet has glass on it too... lets in all that light!

• lisa_a

Maine Susan, I got the idea from beekeeperswife, who did glass sided cabs in her 2nd kitchen remodel.

Watermelon and sweet corn ... that's a really weird combo, Autumn, but whatever trips your trigger, ha! I think baking is the answer. Again. =)

Thanks, blfenton!

• autumn.4

Lisa? Are you out there? I hope I am not distracting you from your mission. ;)

Hello there dear lady. I am writing to let you know the holiday weekend is almost upon us. A time for unpacking, organizing, taking pictures and baking. Yes. Baking - baking for someone like me means snacking and perusing newly revealed kitchens and of course your name came to the forefront of hopeful viewing.

Traveling away from home? Nah. You have way too much photography and fun stuff like that to do. Traveling just cannot be in your holiday weekend future. If your ds wants to bake, you can easily combine your reveal with a KAW thread right? ;) ;)

Okay I will harass you no more. Just bring the thread back up to the top, so I can find it more quickly. I am so glad you have buh bye in your subject. Pops right up when I google it. :D

• lisa_a

I'm closer, Autumn!

I unpacked the last box a few days ago. Yay! Two days ago, a design savvy friend and I spent 4 hours working on the displays for FR bookshelves, mantel and kitchen hutch.

I'm not traveling this weekend =) I'm hanging my LR and entry artwork this weekend.

Window shades for LR and DR get installed next week. I think the kitchen and FR window shades get installed the week after that but I need to check on their delivery. We should also be getting the FR, kitchen, DR and LR drapes back from the seamstress sometime late next week or early the week after so we'll get those hung up soon, too. And hopefully, we'll have our kitchen chairs by then, too.

I hope to post my reveal by or before the end of September (fingers crossed), which will be about the same time as we start the final phase (master bath and laundry room) of our home's overhaul. I really thought we'd have more downtime between remodels but it hasn't worked out that way. At least we'll be finished with upheavals, dust and noise before the holidays. (I hope I didn't just jinx us.)

• benjesbride_misses_sophie

Lisa- are you on the westside? I'm close-in southeast suburb. Who is doing your window coverings?

I'm very excited to see your reveal!!

:-)

• blfenton

autumn4 - I'll harass her next time to, you know, share the load.

• autumn.4

Well this whole kitchen thing is a group effort of sorts so thanks blfenton. We need to stick together. :D

No jinxing Lisa - you sound like you are making great headway. I'll be painting the interior jam and trim of our front door this weekend. Exciting times for sure.

• lisa_a

lol, blfenton and Autumn!

benjesbride, I live SW of Portland. Nice to "meet" another PDXer.

I'm using Comfort Lines in N Portland (on Interstate next door to Rogue Brewpub) to refashion and repair my drapes. I'm working with them via my interior designer. I don't know if they work directly with homeowners or only through designers but I can ask if you're interested.

I had a wonderful seamstress that I worked with a few years ago but she either retired or moved because I've been unable to reach her. Pity, because she did great work at a reasonable price and she worked directly with homeowners.

Comfort Lines does quality work, too, but I've no idea what they would charge for custom drapes. Owner Tatyana feared that I wouldn't like her quote but since I still love the fabric and I haven't been able to find a new fabric that I love as much, I'm quite happy with her price. Besides, as someone who used to sew a lot, I know exactly how much work is involved; I was prepared for a higher charge.

• benjesbride_misses_sophie

Thanks Lisa! It's always good to have recommendations tucked away. I appreciate good, custom drapery. Unfortunately our account needs to recover from this whole house gut renovation before I get some. I'll remember Comfort Lines when the time comes.

I love SW. I lived and worked (OHSU) in that area for ten years until marriage made me an Eastside girl. And then a stay-at-home-mom :-)

• cpartist

Wait, are you telling me you still haven't done a reveal? I went on vacation for 3 weeks and just read through 9 pages to find your thread and still no reveal? What gives?

• lisa_a

lol, I was expecting to get some grief about my delayed reveal. I'm surprised it's taken this long for someone to bug me again. =) But hey, aren't you glad you didn't miss it?

To answer your question: new kitchen chairs haven't been delivered yet (need to call and nag), drapes were supposed to get installed today, delayed a week, ditto for window shades. These are the final things to be done.

This whole project has taken soooo much longer to be completed than I ever expected it. I can't believe we're halfway through September already! We were going to start the next and final round in October but it looks like we won't start until November, which means the house will be in progress at Thanksgiving. I really wanted to avoid that but I am *not* wanting until after the holidays to start the final phase. I've already waited far longer than I ever anticipated.

Did you have a good vacation? 3 weeks?! I'm envious!

benjesbride, I checked and, as suspected, the seamstress only works through designers. When you're ready, give her a call and ask her to give you a least of reasonably priced designers that she works with.

• cpartist

"lol, I was expecting to get some grief about my delayed reveal. I'm surprised it's taken this long for someone to bug me again. =) But hey, aren't you glad you didn't miss it?"

Seriously? I'm the only one to have noticed you haven't done a reveal yet. I went away regretting that I would have to hunt through lots of threads to find the reveal, and then when I get back I hunted only to find no reveal. And yes, I'm glad I didn't miss it.

I had a fantastic vacation! We flew to Amsterdam and spent five days there before getting on the ship. Then we sailed to Scotland, the Faroe Islands, Iceland, New Foundland and NYC where we disembarked. We were supposed to also go to the Shetland Islands but the seas were too rough to tender so we instead sailed on to the Faroe Islands.

I hope you do the reveal before my next trip on Nov. 7th. (That's a working cruise as I'll be teaching on it.)

• blfenton

"This whole project has taken soooo much longer to be completed than I ever expected it." or from our point of view, seeing as how this has been resurrected yet again so I'll just mention - "This whole *reveal* has taken soooo much longer to be *unveiled* than *we* ever expected it". Just cheekily sayin....

• lisa_a

Wow, what a fantastic trip you had! DS2's girlfriend was on a working cruise a few weeks back but I'll bet your working cruise will be much nicer than hers was. She was on a scientific research vessel out of a port north of Norway (town name defies my normally excellent spelling skills). At least she didn't have to eat frozen narwal this time around.

I sure hope to shout that I get to do my reveal before Nov 7th! If that doesn't happen, you can bet you'll hear my screams of frustration from my coast to yours!

lol, blfenton! But, hey, even as delayed as it's been, I haven't taken as long as some (who could I be talking about *ahem* Autumn) to post a reveal.

• cpartist

No Narwal thankfully but lots of fine smoked salmon, caviar, beef tenderloin, sushi from Nobu (they have a Nobu restaurant on the ship), the absolute best chocolate chip cookies and on and on. Let's just say that even with walking up and down the stairs everyday from deck 6 to deck 10, going to the gym every other day and lots of walking, I still managed to put on 4 lbs. The ship is 900 passengers with incredible service. I mentioned I love Amarulla (a South African liquor) and at the next port they found a bottle for us.

• lisa_a

Wow, that sounds fantastic! I'd love to go on a cruise like that. Once we get our last kid through college that is and our finances recover from that and remodeling. So it could be some years yet but it's something to look forward to. I think I still have your email: would you be willing to share details with me privately?

• autumn.4

Hmm, I was just pondering today - how do you post a new build kitchen reveal after you have lived there for a year and a half. What might that subject title be??? I guess I should have just done it without the backsplash but now that I am so close to doing that I might as well wait....or that was my thought process. Things do take much longer than you hope/plan. I thought I'd have the splash done this spring. Ha! edit: now you are bringing back memories - when we moved in no glass in the cabs and half the crown was missing and that took way too long than I care to think about. So yes, waiting for the splash.

I have to admit I got all excited again when I saw your thread pop on the first page. So you aren't saying we have to wait until Thanksgiving are you! Are you? :O

• lisa_a

No, you won't have to wait until Thanksgiving, Autumn! Fingers crossed, I'll post my reveal the end of next week. I'll post a link to the reveal thread on this thread and vice versa.

And YES, of course you can post a reveal thread even if you've been in the kitchen for 1 1/2 yrs. Better late than never. Looking forward to seeing it after you get your backsplash in!

• autumn.4

Bring it on! :)

I am also ready to see it. lol! Almost there, almost there.

• rebunky

Oh goodie goodie, it is getting closer Lisa! And hopefully Autumn will be pretty soon. I really want to see her WZ smoke tile. And Cpartist...welcome home!

• autumn.4

Oh my gosh the pressure - you know it's DIY right?! It's so expensive it has me quaking in my boots a little bit even thought I am sure it will be fine.

• lisa_a

I had forgotten it was DIY, Autumn. Hats off to you. Love WZ tiles but yeah, they do have a "gulp" factor.

We thought about doing some of the work for our remodel but between DH working 70+ hours a week for months on end (finally eased up so he's at least got weekends off again) and me learning to live with a chronic illness (inner ear disease; when symptoms surface, I say my "inner blonde" has come out to play, always looking for the funny) we decided that we'd have to be certifiably insane to take that on. Not that we aren't already....

But seriously, I am in awe of all who DIY some or (most especially) all of the work that goes into remodeling a kitchen.

• autumn.4

Yeah and it took me so long to choose it. I kept looking for something more budget friendly but it was not to be. I think when it finally comes in I will just want to stare at it some more. :) DH is getting the stone on the columns as we speak. Once that is complete we can focus on the backsplash which should be about when I pick it up!

Your inner blond moments sound painful. I think everyone just does what they can given their circumstances or sometimes given their spouses aspirations - lol! Mine would try anything once. TKO is a little bit certifiable but in such good company!

I will hijack your thread no more. I'll be busy over here baking some more for the big reveal viewing - it's almost apple pie time of year. That would be tasty while browsing your pics.

• lisa_a

I finally posted my kitchen reveal, 50 Shades of Gray, TKO version

Maybe I should have chosen a different title - don't want to give anyone the wrong idea - but I was being clever. Oh, well.