Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
suki52

adding interest in new kitchen

suki52
11 years ago
i am looking for ideas on backsplash paint color and door hardware to add interest in this kitchen. i could extend the quartz counter as backsplash, add same as 3 or 4 inch and something else too....appreciate any all ideas. Please consider that cabinets are natural maple, floor natural ash engineered wood, and coutertops are Cambria "Braemar", which has brown, taupe, gray, khaki. Stove side of kitchen looks into family room, gray carpet.

Comments (20)

• Nancy Torrisi
    11 years ago
    I have gray ceramic tile floors that look like wood and the exact same cabinet color and similar color granite counter tops. I used a large glass subway tile in a blue/green the color of the Carribean waters which I LOVE! Behind my gas range I used glass tile that are small bricks in the same color as the subway tile as well as wihte, green, blue, clear and aqua - all ocean tones.
  • User
    11 years ago
    A lighter purple or lilac might be something to consider.
  • wmpj
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    I would do long pulls on the cabinets in brushed nickel. For the backsplash, you could use the countertop material. I wouldn't do the 3" to 4" but instead have it from the countertop to the end of the top cabinet. With your kitchen being neutral, you have a variety of paint colors you could choose from. What is the wall color in the adjoining room? What are the colors you have in the rest of your home?
  • suki52
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    WMP--did not get the picture of the cabinet hardware. Attached is partial view of family room (room I look into from the stove---mess is due to remodel, honest). I have greens as accent wall colors in living room, dining room, family room entry hall.

Nancy and emzc--thanks for the ideas on color. Guess I better bring some samples home..
  • PRO
    Independent Certified Kitchen and Bath Designer
    11 years ago
    A can of paint with a "bolder" color should do the trick. If you don't like it, you can paint over it. I think the main problem is the paint is too similiar to the cabinet color. I don't know what the rest of the area looks like. Choose your transition ares carefully.
  • trasgorshek
    11 years ago
    Love the look that is taking form. When looking at the style of cabinets and your hood, have you thought about stainless steel tiled backsplash? Has the modern feel but not overkill plus would work great with appliances.
  • brensters
    11 years ago
    I think sea-foam green glass subway or mosaic tiles and oil rubbed bronze or black hardware for contrast and to pick up counter colour. Good luck.
  • User
    11 years ago
    You have a lovely clean look cabinets, flooring and counter with a neutral and black. Assuming you love the green across the family room, you have three key colors that would work well for the backsplash. A neutral tile in the tones of the cabinet, the black/brown of the countertop or the green from across the room. The light neutral could be interesting in a small subway tile like a 1" x 3". Glass or glass with a metallic backing for a textured look would be modern. A glazed version would play into a more arts/crafts look, etc. You could bring in the greens and black in the art, accessories and paint on the door frame. Choosing a neutral would give the biggest option for a color change down the road if you tire of the green. Extending the granite up (go all the way over a 3" border if you can afford it) will give a very sophisticated look that's easy to maintain. But try setting a row of sample granite tiles against the wall to mimic the look before committing to it as its the most dramatic. If you go green in a tile as suggested, do the same to ensure the finished look delights you. And enjoy and don't rush the process!
  • PRO
    Linda Mayo
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Backsplash : Somertile Reflections Mini-Suffolk Stone and Glass Mosaic to tie countertop and different woods together. Gain your color in dishes, glassware, window treatment, artwork. This is an upscale shaker look with your hood and large flat panel drawers all the way down the drawer base instead of just at the top and also with cabinets being frameless. In keeping with that look I would use knobs/pulls by Doug Mockett DP40A and DP40B or something equivalent since they are reminiscent of Shaker cup pulls but modernized. They would go well with both your hood and your cabinets.
  • PRO
    Susan Jablon Mosaics
    11 years ago
    Hi suki52!
    Firstly, I am in love with your new kitchen! It's really gorgeous! What about a very pale green with blue undertones, like taking your family room wall color and just making it a lot lighter? In that vein, I think a color like BM's Sweet Dreams would be a good option. For the backsplash, we carry a line of tiles called Matchstix that have a very thin, linear shape, that I think would look amazing in your kitchen. We carry these tiles in a variety of colors, but for this space I think our light Oyster Gray would be perfect. Just some ideas for you, good luck with your remodel, you're doing an amazing job!
  • suki52
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thanks to all of you. You have given me lots of good ideas. Susan. I love the "sweet dreams". It is a wonderful shade. I am going to find somewhere to use it! I have decided to extend the counter directly under the window to the window frame. I love the idea of,taking it all the way to cabinet height all around but I am afraid it would be too dark. I have long dark winters to deal with, so don't want to darken kitchen environment. Oh boy! Lots of options! Thanks again.
  • J Milner
    10 years ago
    suki52 - Would love to see what you ended up doing for the backsplash! Can you please post a pic for us??
  • suki52
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I have attached 2 photos. Kitchen is still work in progress. The window door in cabinet over counter lights and kick cove are still missing. But we are slowly finishing up. Still considering paint color. White is ok but I want a little "zing" to make it more inviting.....
  • J Milner
    10 years ago
    Very pretty cabinets! And I love that big window over the sink! Thanks for posting the pics.
  • Marilyn Wilkie
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    "Still considering paint color. White is ok but I want a little "zing" to make it more inviting....."
    Consider a green....beautiful with natural wood...nature's colors.
    Maybe search for "green walls" in the Houzz photos.
  • PRO
    New England Design & Construction
    10 years ago
    Marilyn is right. Green is a wonderful background for your project
  • greenvelvettree
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Hi Suki52. You are doing a beautiful job on your kitchen! You are right about New England winters. I think over the longterm you would enjoy a tile backsplash more than paint. I like Susan Jablon Mosaic's idea of Sweet Dreams paint or a watery pale aqua blue and then some neutral tile for the backsplash.
  • PRO
    Susan Jablon Mosaics
    9 years ago
    If I can be of any help to you please let me know how! Susan