craig_cherry

Where are the bees?

drmbear
May 19, 2015

With cilantro, chives, and onions in full bloom, and a whole ditch row of yellow wildflowers, I'm wondering where all the bees are this year. I do not use poisons in my yard and garden, and I've made a special effort to create areas to entice bees. This week, particularly with the cilantro in bloom, when I make my usual morning ramblings through my garden, I am not seeing any activity at the flowers. Even just a year ago, when I made the same walk, there would be a wide range of sizes and shapes of bees. I suppose I am getting some pollination, since I have strawberries close to ready, my fairly young blueberries are loaded with green berries, and the blackberries are forming fruit. I'm hoping it is just because it is early in the year, but I just don't know. I have had an interest, once I get the variety of things that might interest bees growing in my yard, in keeping honeybees at some point, but if there is something wiping out wild bees then that doesn't seem to be such a good idea.

Comments (21)

Need help with an existing Houzz order? Call 1-800-368-4268