Software
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_472827

Powder room privacy

11 years ago

I have a small powder room right off a breakfast area. There is a tiny closet directly across from the powder room door. I have been thinking of knocking down the closet and putting up hooks and bins, kind of like a mud room, then adding a door. Essentially, you would have to walk through the mud room to get to the powder room. I was hoping it would add a bit of privacy for guests, as it's the only bathroom on the main floor of the house, but is it weird to have to walk through a mud room to get to a powder room?

Comments (10)

  • 11 years ago

    How tidy is your mudroom? (I don't think it needs to be weird, and certainly there are many houses that have that. Since you are dealing with existing space and not building new, you do what you can with what you've got. To me, having a mudroom space is a big pro to a smaller con of having to get to the powder room through it.)

    Vicki M97 thanked kirkhall
  • 11 years ago

    no. I'd do it.

    Vicki M97 thanked desertsteph
  • 11 years ago

    That is basically what we are planning to do.

    Vicki M97 thanked chelwa
  • 11 years ago

    I can not picture it. Can you do a quick sketch of the lay out? I do not think it would be weird walking through a mud room to get to the powder room but I can not see how this is gaining you privacy to the powder room.

    This feels like a great project to brain storm.

    Vicki M97 thanked Shades_of_idaho
  • 11 years ago

    Thanks for the comments everyone. Shades - we're thinking if the small hallway that runs between the powder room and the coat closet has a door on it, it gives one more layer of sound-proofing to make guests feel more comfortable and you wouldn't be able to see the toilet from the family room. We're going to go for it.

  • 11 years ago

    I have several friends who have powder rooms like you describe. It doesn't seem odd to me at all, especially in older homes.

    Vicki M97 thanked User
  • 11 years ago

    If some were to come into our house from outside to go into the powder room they would first walk through laundry room then into the full bath. I do not see that as an issue at all. This laundry room is also used a bit like a mud room.

    Vicki M97 thanked Shades_of_idaho
  • PRO
    11 years ago

    I think they'll appreciate the privacy, no matter what they have to walk through.
    And a mud room can be made to look quite appealing with a little creativity.

    Vicki M97 thanked User
  • 11 years ago

    For sure. A couple of threads in the past about bathrooms visible from eating/kitchen spaces revealed some very passionate responses from many who are easily disgusted and surprised "whatevers" from others with more prosaic responses.

    Those who are more easily, or strongly, disgusted said they literally go home before using facilities where others in food areas can see them entering and leaving and are extremely uncomfortable with others doing so. These were not uncommon responses and thus provided very valuable insight into what is actually a real red-flag layout issue. For those who have guests over, anyway. Or who think they might need to sell their home in future and don't want half the market to evaporate on seeing an unfortunately placed door.

    All a way of saying by all means do the utility hall, with all the insulation you can manage, and while you're at it maybe install a ventilation fan that goes on and off with the light to provide cover noise, as well as a quiet-flush toilet. And during parties still set the food out somewhere other than the breakfast room. Some people really care, but they'll never tell their hosts.

Sponsored