Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deebuggi

What is going on with the roses?

Dee
8 years ago

I need help! I've included a photo of both of my miniature roses. Now let me say this, the one on the left I am having the most problems with? What is going on?

When I bought both of these roses, they where both root bound. I have transferred into a bigger pot. However, the rose in the owl planter, just keeps losing it's leaves.. The one in the clay pot, seems to be bouncing back... But still has yellowish leaves? What am I doing wrong? I'm so new to this and would love to keep both of these beautiful plants..

Comments (8)

• cleangeek
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Those pots are too small, get ones at least 8" wide x 8" tall. The one on the right is probably root-bound and not getting enough water and oxygen, I agree with plenty of drainage holes.

Yellow leaves that fall off means the plant is getting too much water.

Yellow leaves with burnt tips means not enough water.

• BethC in 8a Forney, TX
    8 years ago

I have all of my minis in 13x14" pots and I'm wondering if some of them are in too small a pot because they've filled it up rapidly. They all sit on cedar stands my husband made to get them off the ground by about 3 ". If your drain holes are on the bottom of the pots and they are sitting on the ground then they still can't drain.

• Dee
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Both of those pots have drainage holes, Beth. I constantly move my pots. Whether it be an inch or a whole foot, drainage is not an issue. And cleangeek, I just transferred both of those plants into bigger pots. And the pots they sit in now, are the bigger ones. I had like 2" small plastic container (which is what both of them came into), I transferred them into two 6" pots with drainage holes. The owl pot, is just like a container you stick a pot in? If that makes sense..

• cleangeek
    8 years ago

Are they getting enough sunlight?

Dee thanked cleangeek
  • Dee
    Original Author
    8 years ago

That's what I am wondering.. I'm not sure, cleangeek. The thing is - I put them in sunlight, and the one in the left (owl pot) if you look closely enough - the stems look burnt? Which made me pull this mini rose inside and I placed it into a window seal yesterday.

• bonny46
    8 years ago

They should be outside. Put them in a sheltered part shade location for a few days until they are hardened off and then full sun always after that. Water deeply when soil is dry. Don't over water. Good luck.

• seil zone 6b MI
    8 years ago

They need MUCH bigger pots! Get some larger pots with lots of drainage holes in them. Do not put them into other pots like the owl pot. I have that same owl pot by the way, lol! But I don't use it for roses at all because it's too small and doesn't have any holes in it. Also, don't put any trays under the pots. They have to be able to drain freely so the rose roots don't sit in water. They do not like that at all. That is one of the main causes of leaves yellowing and falling off. The other, unfortunately, is not enough water! It's a vicious circle, lol.

Re-pot them with good potting soil, put them in full sun and do not fertilize them until they begin to get new growth on them. Then just do the fertilizer at half strength. You don't want to burn the roots.

Sponsored