Software
Houzz Logo Print
amderk

How should I hang picture frames

11 years ago

My living room is very simple until we finish renovating the basement and redesign this space. For now we have this big white wall with these 3 picture frames and I need to add a 4th. Any ideas how I should hang them?


Comments (13)

  • 11 years ago

    With a fifth and a sixth, if you retain that size! :)

    With just four, consider enlargements plus matting, so that they fill the area when placed two over two.

  • 11 years ago

    I change the 8x10 pictures early and I find it would get too pricey printing bigger pictures.

  • 11 years ago
    I'd buy one of those 9 piece modern black frame collages and fill it with family photos to help set the whole family room mood. It would look nice and fill the space. You can also get them in the shop which is convenient since its in this app!
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Ah. In that case, consider mixing some other items - even empty frames interspersed will help fill and add interest. Ideally, if you have a larger item or two, it will help get a better balance. Other items like a favorite cap, drawings done by one of the photo subjects, small mirror, or a favourite toy no longer played with can all help tell a story.

  • PRO
    11 years ago

    i would hang the in a straight line with just a few inches between if you are using the pictures above.

    this is an example....

  • 11 years ago

    Centered in a straight line.

  • PRO
    11 years ago

    Too small for the spot you have chosen my dear!! Either re- mat and reframe to larger, or choose another spot in your home, or add three more and hang in a two row grid.....tightly spaced.

  • 11 years ago

    First, do not hang pictures of people in a living room. If you have to hang them somewhere, then pick a hallway. Better yet is to get smaller pictures and put them in standing frames. Second, those frames are way too small to hang there anyway. You need to hang artwork in a living room.

  • 11 years ago
    I respectfully disagree that only artwork, not photos, belongs in a living room. Photography IS artwork. And why not fill your home with photos of loved ones? I agree with previous replies that four of those are really too small. You aren't living in a designer showroom, though, so I would group them in a square and space them apart a bit more. Outline with painters tape first if you need help visualizing. Consider adding more photos, getting the larger grouping frame, or adding sconces on either side to fill the space if needed.
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    For balance, the wall item(s) should fill 2/3 of the size of the couch. Instead of adding a fourth picture which will still look skimpy, I would go to Walmart (if you have one) and purchase 3 larger black frames that come with wide matts and for probably $15 each, you will have a really nice focal wall. Place them lower and all at the same height for a more modern look. I have done this numerous times and it has completely changed the picture.

    past projects · More Info

  • 11 years ago

    #4 frame is for baby #4 that was just born.

  • 11 years ago

    Congatulations! You get that little face right up there!

    amderk thanked studio10001
Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Franklin Cnty OH