Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ray_frisbee

Exterior shutters?

Ray Frisbee
8 years ago
So I'm thinking of adding exterior shutters to the kitchen windows of the house. I'm in an area where functionally they are not needed but I'd like to do something to spice up the area as its well... Boring.

I'm thinking cedar/barn type shutters? But I don't think making them wide enough to "seem" functional would look good?

What are you guys thoughts?

Comments (27)

• C&T Brooks (VA, Zone 7a)
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I think I'd forgo the shutter and focus more on adding something horizontal to break up the large expanse of wall but keep the line of the house. Maybe create a dining/seating area on the lower patio, build a long bench from the left corner of the house to the deck. On the deck that currently has a bench, add a counter/console to the wall for entertaining. Something along these lines....

And, of course, soften everything with some potted plants.

• jck910
    8 years ago

Window too short for shutters, they will make it look shorter. Window box idea will make it look longer. Paint the door a different color than the siding for some spice.

• Diane Land
    8 years ago

I agree with everyone. Shutters would look odd. How about a green potting bench ( to match your door) under the window and a potted tree next to it (left side in your pic).

• chloebud
    8 years ago

I agree...shutters would look odd on that wide window. Love the potting bench and tree suggestion.

• corlawatson
    8 years ago

I think mounting some large, decorative wrought iron on the sides would look really nice instead of the shutters. If you still want shutters I think they look less pointless if they are the correct size.

• Ray Frisbee
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Only small problem with adding too much that juts out... Against the hose is a 1-1/2ft or so concrete walk.

I'm worried it will obstruct the path, as it's the walk to the main entrance. Perhaps I should bust it up and continue the paves though so there isn't a suggested path?
  • Diane Land
    8 years ago

Ray- your idea is good- just extend your paves ( brick?) which will also give the back a more open flow.

• C&T Brooks (VA, Zone 7a)
    8 years ago

If you construct a bench along that wall you won't have to tear up the path. It will be concealed.

• ncollierville
    8 years ago
    Perhaps a vertical garden with herbs.
  • yeggardener
    8 years ago

I am on the side of shutters. :) In the same green as the rest of the trim. I suggest a deep window box under the window in the same green and have the shutters long enough to extend along the sides of the window box, thereby giving the window more vertical depth and presence. The door could also use some vertical foliage, such as a potted cedar tree on either side, to break up the space and put the focus on the door.

• veryvert
    8 years ago

DianeLand has great idea and the potting bench would simply become more and more interesting over time. It's a lovely simple solution to an already attractive but rather too tidy outdoor space.

• jamdot
    8 years ago

I think shutters are ridiculous looking if they're not actual working shutters. I don't know why so many houses have them, at least most of them in the south do. I like the idea of doing more with the deck and patio area so that the window isn't as noticeable.

• lauragamm
    8 years ago

If anything, I would add a window box with flowers overflowing. Adds color, design, etc.

• diyer59
    8 years ago

It's boring because there are no plants in big pots to soften all that brick. Shutters aren't enough. Think groups of small trees, bushes, colorful flowering plants. Many people gave you good examples above.

• PRO
    sharonna misha designs
    8 years ago

yes, shutters! charming, for sure!!

• decoenthusiaste
    8 years ago

So are the double green doors your home's entry? Is this a patio in front, not in back of the house? No to shutters on the short windows, but I like the window box idea. Yes to more interest for the patio and deck and lawn. How about a bit of built-in camouflage for the BBQ and a location off of the walkway?. I think busting the walk out in favor of a meandering paver pathway will allow you to put planting beds in its place for a lot of color and interest. Would you enjoy a firepit?

• alwaysdesigning
    8 years ago

I think shutters would look out of place on this window. If they are not sized to the window, they just look that much more fake and ridiculous. I think your window looks fine; focus on other things you can do to the area to take the attention away from the window. What you can do is mount a trellis around the window and add some climbing blooming vines, like jasmine or clematis (NOT wisteria, too invasive) to tie into some additional surrounding landscaping. Or a simple window box under the window to hold blooming plants. Good luck.

• delanedavid
    8 years ago

Trust the Houzzers - wrong windows for shutters. The plants or potting bench under the window would work. I would also consider a rectangular pub-height table the same width as the window with 2 stools underneath and slender potted trees on either side.

• Mike S
    8 years ago

No shutters! For all the reasons already stated. This is a pet peeve of mine. People (including professional architects) like to add architectural details for the sake of adding details. They give no thought to why the details exist in the first place. Shutters need to be sized to the window even if they are not functional. There are uses for shutters - just not this one.

• Maureen
    8 years ago

You could really make that whole area so cute and not spend too much either. On either side of the window add trellis and paint green (see below). Then move the bench to under the window and maybe paint it red and add some green/red pillows and I would paint the door red as well. Across the front of the deck to hide the edges and underneath, you could add a row of bushes. With all of these extras, your window will fade into the background.

Kenwood Manor · More Info

• lminca
    8 years ago

an outdoor kitchenette with a small sink and a bit of a protruding bar built right on the outer side below the window would make it functional and fun and create 3 separate spaces to use for different purposes like rest area, dining area, and kids pen - the possibilities are endless.

• Ray Frisbee
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thank you guys for all the ideas and for the direction I'm thinking now.

I'm going to let the shutter idea go. The planter and trellis flowing up the sides of the window sounds appealing. Still trying to visualize how a potting bench would look. I'll send some more pictures of the area shortly so you guys can get a better feel.

Man, I love this place. I do g stop by nearly enough... So many great ideas!!
  • Ray Frisbee
    Original Author
    8 years ago

• decoenthusiaste
    8 years ago

Yes, the walk has to go and the grill and propane tank need a little kitchenette area to tuck way in. Love the grassy area for a firepit surrounded by Adirondack chairs in a bright color for interest. Then sprinkle the color back on the patio/deck area. I'd put a meandering gravel path from the brick patio out to the grassy area and then you can put the pit on gravel or on the grass.

underwood custom home · More Info

Lake O'Brien 1 - Exterior Lakeside · More Info

• Ray Frisbee
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    I have slowed progress on the outside area of the house but I did manage to build a nice planter out of some old rustic oak. Now to just get to work on the rest of the great ideas.
  • Diane Land
    7 years ago

That's great Ray! Looks wonderful.