Software
Houzz Logo Print
blakes9878

Need help choosing my next apartment...

11 years ago

Hi, My lease at my current place ends in two weeks. My options are live with my mom's friends friend who's my age and save some money, or pay 1,020.00 for 9 months or 10 months for an apartment that includes washer/dry in unit, heat is paid for by the apartment complex but it is 1,020.00 , & underground parking. My last option would be to store my furniture for a week or two and pay 930.00 a month for a location I'm pretty familiar and the people seem nice there and heat is paid for by the apartment complex and underground parking is included. The downside to the last choice is that it's kinda small at 733 square feet, second floor and it doesn't have a washer & dryer in the unit. What should I do?

Thank you

Comments (6)

  • 11 years ago

    What are your circumstances? How old are you? Are you working? Are you going to school? Are you wanting to save for a home? What kind of goals do you have?

    I couldn't begin to offer up any advice or suggestions with the little information you provided.

  • 11 years ago

    I'm currently single, working, 27 years old, I do want to eventually buy a home in a couple of years. I have saved up quite a bit already though. I do like the 1,020.00 a month place I just don't know if that's too much to be spending on a place, with that being said most places I've looked at that aren't as nice are about 100-80.00 cheaper a month. After all my bills I should still have around 750-900 left over after every month if I were to go with the more expensive place. My goals are to start dating, save to buy a place in a couple of years, and just start going out more and socializing.

  • 11 years ago

    Hi,

    A few things to consider:

    * What's your plan after the 9-10 months in the $1020 apartment? As in - why is it a short-term thing? If you then need to move again, it might not be the best idea (very stressful and can be expensive as you know).

    * How much is the storage going to cost you? If it's any more than the difference in cost between the two apartments, you're better off going for the more expensive apartment and not paying for storage. In the cheaper one, you have to either pay for or outsource your washing - how do you feel about that? I have lived in buildings with washers and dryers that rip and stain your clothes and are broken 90% of the time! We paid a dry cleaner to wash and fold each week. Not exactly the cheapest thing with towels, sheets, etc.

    I have just moved with my husband from a 350 sq ft apartment to 850sq ft, so 733 for one person seems plenty to me! - especially if it's temporary, even if you are used to bigger space.

    * Living with a family friend is okay but are you going to be comfortable? - will you feel like you have to always be "on show" if you know what I mean, always dressed nicely etc. - are you comfortable with them seeing you unwell, in your pyjamas, sweats, etc. - temporary is fine but that's the main thing for me - I want to relax when I'm at home or unwell and spend a day on the sofa if I have to. Are you comfortable doing that with this person around, and in their home?

    Best of luck with your decision-making! Overall, you have to be happy in your home. It should be a place you want to come home to! Personally - if that extra $90 a month is going to make you happy, I would go for the more expensive apartment :) But, only you will know what's best. Good luck! :)

  • 10 years ago

    The most import thing you've said is how you want to buy your own place. Sit down and figure out how you can make that happen as soon as possible. You may want to talk to your bank about ways to get you there faster (TD Saving Plan) The longer you rent the more money you are waiting. Don't go on paying some other guy's mortgage when you could be paying down your own.

    As to your short term dilemma, I would take the smaller place for less money. You need to be independent of your family. Be your own man.

  • 10 years ago

    May I suggest you ask Mgt to send their handyman saying they heard an irregular noise that they want to ck out vs sending somebody as result of complaint, therefore keeping you out of it.

  • 10 years ago

    I would take the smallest place--least amount of money. I would rather eat raman noodles every night than have a roommate or live in someone else's home (unless it was my sister).

Sponsored