Software
Houzz Logo Print
mlille22

Need help with living room

13 years ago
Hello,
We just ordered these West Elm Scribble Window Panels (feather gray) along with the West Elm Andalusia Dhurrie - Feather Gray rug. I love them both, but they feel too busy together. Any suggestions on swaps for either the curtains or the rug??
Any help is much appreciated!

Comments (26)

  • 13 years ago
    Definitely take one pattern away (either the rug or the drapes). That is all I would do, the rest looks great! Great job!
  • 13 years ago
    What about using a drapery holdback so you don't see as much of the pattern in the drapes? Do you need to keep them closed for privacy? I think if you add an ottoman/coffee table and some fun pillows it will pull it together. I like the rug and curtains together. Finally, can you get a longer length so the drapes hit the floor? Great job. I LOVE the mantel!!
  • 13 years ago
    rug is fab, drapes need a change
  • 13 years ago
    We bought new hardware, including tie backs - so if we are keeping the curtains we will lower them and can use the tie backs (we also just bought blinds for coverage). Thanks for your help!! I'm still not completely in love with the 2 patterns together but maybe they will grow on me :-)
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Get a coffee table. Add some pillows and either get longer curtains or if you can, drop the curtain rod down if it is way above the window. I like the idea of a holdback too.
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    I don't think the drapery or the rug fit the space. The drapes are too short and busy andthe rug could use a different pattern and deeper color.. How about removing the drapes altogether. Just add plantation shutters or blinds to the windows. .And a rug with a light and dark grey pattern. Pillows with Grey, Green or rust accent would be a nice color to add also.
  • 13 years ago
    I would use a soild curtain because. Those are nice but it takes away the focus of the fire place.
  • 13 years ago
    Thanks for the comment! I found these on Pottery Barn...I just want to be sure they don't darken the room too much. What do you think?

    http://www.potterybarn.com/products/emery-linen-pole-pocket-drape/?lineid=3&cm_src=E:window-coverings-by-style||FN-Color-_-FN-Gray-_--_-#viewLargerSubsetOverlay
  • 13 years ago
    Love the rug .
  • 13 years ago
    Add a band of solid color to the bottom of the drapes. Match to the darkest color in the drapes. It will break up the patterns. You could also frame the panels in the same color. It's probably the cheapest.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    Did you want that blue colour? or a grey? The one in the pottery barn link.
  • 13 years ago
    I would take away the rug a use a solid color rug. use long curtain. Get a coffee table to put in front of the couch. Then use a wider mirror for the fireplace. Add colorful pillows for the sofa
  • 13 years ago
    The rug and curtains together are toooo busy! And the curtains are too short-- so maybe return those and get another curtain.
  • 13 years ago
    I feel the rug is way too over powering for the room in terms of size. I would trade that for a smaller, neutral colored rug perhaps with some texture. And I would also lower the curtains. Why not shades instead if you aren't committed to the curtains?
  • 13 years ago
    What about ottomans (with or without storage) or something similar in front of the curtains. They would be functional as well as break up the pattern. I do like both the curtains and the rug.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    what about taking away the drapes and use another pair of drapes?
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I LOVE the rug I would definitely keep it . However the drapery it a bit busy for the space I think solid panels would work alot better . I would also recommend that the drapery should come to the floor and the rod should be mounted just 6'' above the window frame.

    http://www.blindsdirectcanada.com/drapery-toronto/panels/grommet-drapery.html
  • 13 years ago
    Wonderful job but your right to change out either rug to plain and keep drapes or rug to plain and keep drapes, And the knob pulls to hold curtain back in the day.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Like you need another opinion!!!!!....................................
    The drapes are OK but need to be tied back. Replace the rug with a new one with more colors. The new rug should be smaller too. Be sure your new rug includes Gray, White, and Brown and one additional color to add some life. Green is a good color with what you already have in the room. If the sofa must stay, add two or three pillows. These can be graphic designs like your drapery. The mirror should be replaced. If this is not possible then paint the frame
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    The carpet in the photo is not the exact piece I'd choose but it indicates the idea. Plush Tibetan style rugs in subtle stripes (called Arbrush) are easy to find. Check out Summit Rug online. Also Restoration Hardware and others like them have the type of rug I'm talking about. The dilemma you're in is the dark brown sofa and cabinet don't play well with two-tone geometrics in light colors. The two things need to be tied together.
  • 13 years ago
    If ya lower the drapes to the floor, a little puddle would be great. You can add a cornice to the top. A dark floor under the rug would be better. Change the wall color to something a bit brighter like yellow or golden yellow, light orange, lite blue, light turquoise. Throw some bright pillows on the couch. Trust me it will look beautiful!!
  • 13 years ago
    I would keep the rug. The drapes are a bit too busy and too short. You can get drapes that have some brown in them so you can balance the room. You have the the big dark furniture on each side of the room and the mirror above the fireplace. I think that some drapes that have some brown would go great. Good luck!
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Your curtain panels are much much too short. They should just skim the floor. I like the height you have them, but you need to get longer panels if you can. And I feel the pattern is too busy if they will be shut a lot. I'd prefer a solid textured pattern with that rug.
  • 10 years ago

    I think replace the curtain only because I know the rug was way more expensive. Also, I think the curtains are more of a different look than the room. I like the curtains but not in that spot. Just keep in mind also when the area is smaller the less print the better

  • 10 years ago
    3 year old post