Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
davismcp

Exterior Paint Color / Arch. Improvements - Recommendations?

davismcp
8 years ago

In the Spring, it will be time to re-paint our lake house. The bright white trim (and garage doors) must go, and we are strongly considering something other than the current barn-red. The home is in a heavily-wooded area, lots of evergreen and rhododendron. Any advice on color selection and other architectural improvements would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Comments (3)

• emmarene9
    8 years ago

I'd use SW Garden Gate

I actually think you would be better off posting in the Home Decorating Forum. Especially since you mentioned Arch details. They know all about that.

davismcp thanked emmarene9
  • agk2003
    8 years ago

i personally love this color palette. i believe exterior color is bm soot.

chezerbey exterior · More Info

davismcp thanked agk2003
  • PRO
    MEHP
    8 years ago

Based on the color of your driveway and your roofing, I would lean towards a complementary color to those, such as a stoney/earthy grey for the siding. The trim is a little bit more difficult of a decision, maybe a light grey, but ditching the white is probably a good idea based on the surrounding landscape. I would also address the exposed foundation and make that disappear a bit, something neutral and in the same color wheel.

The house appears to be in pretty good shape from the pictures you posted and if so, keeping the colors the same can save you some money because you can simply apply one finish coat as good maintenance vs. changing colors, which always requires 2 finish coats, adding roughly 35% to the overall cost. Although, 2 coats will increase the lifespan and let you pick exactly what you want so it really comes down to what your intentions are for the property. Do you plan to live there for more than 5 years? If so, go for the color change and enjoy. But if your plan is 5 years or less, a one coat, same color paint job probably makes more financial sense.

davismcp thanked MEHP