Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
robert_long49

Miele RemoteVision

Robert Long
8 years ago

I'm interested in hearing from those who have RemoteVision and what you think of it / how you use it. It's my understanding that in it's current form it's a baby step toward integrating with home automation / smart home technology, but at the moment it just collects data and sends it Miele so there's "not a whole lot to see."

Comments (40)

• User
    8 years ago

There's nothing for you to see except on your network.

If set up correctly you could get a call from the mothership that your power has failed and the milk and eggs in your fridge are in grave danger.

My take is that it's simply an early diagnostic tool for their service network and a test bed for implementing a recurring revenue stream .

• Robert Long
    Original Author
    8 years ago

The impression I received from people in the Miele Center, based on their pure speculation, was it would be able to integrate with "smart home" systems down the road. Such as your smart (electric) meter triggering the dryer to run during lower cost periods, Nest smoke detectors shutting off appliances where there's smoke, etc. Again, just rampant, unchecked, speculation. :)

• plllog
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I didn't get it because at the time my wi-fi didn't have internet. Xedos's description matches what I know about it. You can just look at the error readout and tell the help desk (800 number) what it says. :) I don't feel like I'm missing anything on the call the mothership front.

Your milk and eggs will be fine without power for at least 24 hours if you don't open the door! This is true of any decent fridge. It works like a camping cooler and retains its cool. Obviously, check the milk to make sure it hasn't soured, but eggs don't even need to be refrigerated unless you're keeping them long term. I'd worry more about leftovers, which are more likely to have stray bacteria than pasteurized, sealed milk. Those can be heated thoroughly. If the kids (or you) drink right out of the milk carton, maybe throw away the open one, just to be sure.

• geoffrey_b
    8 years ago

Wait until someone hacks into your home network via an appliance. They already do it with thermostats.

• rococogurl
    8 years ago

I've passed on it twice. First with the washer/dryer. Then with the fridge. I called them, spoke to them about it, looked at what it would take to set up the network. I got 2 take aways.

First, it does absolutely nothing for me that I could determine. It's really for them and I even passed on it when they were giving it away.

Second, I didn't want to ever fight diagnostics if they didn't correspond to what actually was happening.
    Also, the modules go into the back of the appliances. They aren't accessible. Nice idea but a bow wow at this point.

• PRO
    Joe Henderson
    8 years ago

For now the only functionality is that it can send a service report directly to miele should the machine experience an issue. The rest depends on where they go with it, the modules are replaceable so they can upgrade if they wanted to.

That being said...We sell a lot of miele...and I can count on 1 hand the number we have sold. EVER.

• mkeys5000
    8 years ago

I have a Miele dishwasher and fridge on the way. I got 5 year extended warranties on each from Miele. If buying the warranty, the remote vision module becomes very cheap, I think less than $50. I went ahead and got it. The features/benefits as they were explained to me, is that it will 'phone home' if there is something wrong with the appliance, possibly things you might not notice yourself. Like the compressor is having to run longer than normal, or it is having a hard time reaching/maintaining target temperature, etc. This should allow Miele to proactively fix issues before they become big problems.

If it really works like that ... who knows, but I like the concept.

• Brett Marl
    8 years ago

I have it on my standalone fridge (K1811SF). Just yesterday my fridge started sending me emails that "the door was open", despite it being closed. Then the fridge has stopped cooling and is actually hot inside. I called the Miele support (my first time with their support) expecting a delightful experience given the good things I hear about Miele. The support guy looks at the remote vision diagnostics and says "your door is open", duh. Then he proceeds to tell me that he can have someone out to look at it 2 weeks from now. We are in Seattle - not like we are out in the burbs. 2 weeks to get my fridge fixed - WTF Miele, that sucks.

• geoffrey_b
    8 years ago

As a software developer - I'm going to take a guess - the switch that turns off the light - when the door is closed is not working properly. Open the door. Press the switch - do the lights go off?

• Brett Marl
    8 years ago

it's a Miele - they are far too over-engineered to have a typical push-switch visible on the door trim :) I think the switch is buried deep in the hinge, i poked around a bunch - but can't find it. hopefully it's as simple as a failing switch. if so - it would be nice advanced diagnotics module in remote-vision would detect a failed switch vs. open switch. a lot of basic home alarms do this to detect tampering.

• eshmh
    8 years ago

Even my LG does not have that mechanical switch anymore. I guess the sensor in the top hinge senses the magnet embedded in the door frame.

• geoffrey_b
    8 years ago

Remove the light bulbs

• 59 Dodge
    8 years ago

"Remove the light bulbs"

Now what good is the above going to do?

Brett will now have a dark hot fridge, if He removes the bulbs.

Most likely the bulbs are probably going out anyway, when you close the door, to check, sets your vid cam, tablet or whatever to record and set it inside the fridge for a couple of seconds, the "camera" will tell you if the lights went off or not.

Gary

• rococogurl
    8 years ago

Why I didn't get remote vision. The disconnect is the issue.

@brettmarl -- get up early and call tech support. Call before noon your time and you should get the east coast call center. Tell them the issue. Ask them to escalate the service call because the remote vision is malfunctioning. Could it be a door seal cracked?

• Robert Long
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Most fridges I know of will stop cooling when they sense the door is open. I don't think RemoteVision is the problem, it's just reporting what the failed sensor is sending.

• Brett Marl
    8 years ago

I hope Robert is right here and that the switch is malfunctioning and thus the fridge is shutting down assuming the door is open. However, when I reset power on the fridge - I don't hear the compressor kick in at all. Which I assume it would until it starts its "door-open-for-x-minutes shutdown sequence". So I suspect something else is amiss. I'll update the thread once I learn more.

I worked as an engineer at Cisco on similar remote appliance diagnostics capability (not for Miele units specifically), and the general industry vision for this technology was always to create a delightful consumer experience. The idea was - fridge notices that compressor dies during the night, sends immediate diagnostic report to Miele. Miele puts me on the priority calendar and calls me up at 8am next morning and says "Hey Mr. Marl - Miele here, we notice your fridge has a problem and our tech is on his way with a new compressor. Thanks for being an awesome customer, we have your back.". I fall in love with Miele and never buy another brand.

Anyway, per the topic of this thread, I'd say -1 point for Remote Vision delivering on it's key value proposition :)

• geoffrey_b
    8 years ago

I'm sure there is static memory ( for temperature settings, etc), so cycling the power may not reset it. Did you reboot the RemoteVision module?

Page 65 - reboot RemoteVision

• Brett Marl
    8 years ago

Geoffrey - good idea, I did reboot - but I haven't actually factory reset the remote vision module. I'll give that a whirl tonight.

• geoffrey_b
    8 years ago

Miele tech support gave me detailed help on our dish washer. I would think they would be able to tell you where the door open sensor is located - I has to be somewhere accessible from the front.

• Brett Marl
    8 years ago

Factory Reset didn't do anything - except give me the unpleasant experience of having to re-join RemoteVision to my Wi-Fi router :)

I did however, locate the magnetic switch which is on top of the door under a plastic panel. I unscrewed the magnet off the door and held it up to the plate where the switch must be hidden and I can hear the magnetic switch triggering but it is not turning off the lights. So sounds like the likely cause is failed switch at this point.

• eshmh
    8 years ago

What happens if you short (e.g. bypass it by a wire) the switch? If it is just the defective switch, it may tell the controller that the door is effectively closed, and put the fridge in working state while waiting for the service. You may need to locate which door's status is not reported incorrectly.

• geoffrey_b
    8 years ago

The part number is AZ764-1C-110AE - Single pole, double throw relay.

The glass tube - SW1 - is the magnetic reed switch - it looks to me like the reed switch is open when the magnetic force is applied. When you open the door, it closes, energizes the relay, and turns on the light via Pin #8.

So the connector should have 3 wires - neutral / hot / switched. With a DVM you can find out which is the hot. The hot will connect to the reed switch,

Looks to me like you could just pull the board and the door open signal should go away.

Data Sheet for AZ764-1C-110AE-American-Zettler

• Brett Marl
    8 years ago

@geoffrey_b thanks for the diagnosis. I found that same data sheet - but I'm a software engineer - so had trouble interpreting the circuit layout :)

Here's the PCB layout on the back - it actually has 4 pins.

With the board out, the fridge doesn't respond to the power switch. My multimeter is on loan to a friend at the moment, so I can't trace it easily.

No worries though - I just called the Miele distributor in Seattle and they have one of these in stock - so I'll swing down and grab it and give it a try.

• 59 Dodge
    8 years ago

Are you still having to wait 2 weeks for the repair?

There are many Miele appliance repair companies in your area, go here to look.

http://www.yelp.com/search?find_desc=miele+appliance+repair&find_loc=Seattle%2C+WA

When I started to have wild temp swings in the freezer section of my JA fridge, I called Jenn-Air, they gave me info on 3 companies that serviced the JA fridges.

Using Yelp, I checked out all 3, two of the companies had "Horrific Reviews", but number 3 was a "winner". I called them, they came out "straightaway", and fixed the problem, "on the spot", a partial plug in the sealed system.

Had I got only one "referral", from Jenn-Air, my chances of getting a company with a bad reviews, were 2 out of 3, I don't like those odds, and you "may have" been dealt a similar hand?

What company did you call, and you should posts on Yelp, or Angie's list the response you got from that company; It could help the next person with a busticated Miele!

Gary

• User
    8 years ago

Removing the bulb(s) isn't that easy. There are six or eight of them behind fiddle some covers.

I also think that some may have higher expectations of this " system" than is practical. Miele us an appliance co. not a software integration firm. No one else has anything like this at all. Probably with good reason.

Look at Apple - a veteran in this arena. How long after their army of seasoned veterans releases the latest OS or iDoDad is it before a patch or update or revision is rolled out. Sometimes days. You want a service call .........hold please.

Anyway this is really vaporware at this point and early adopters gueniea pigs for something totally new. The first automobiles sucked also.

• Brett Marl
    8 years ago

@59 Dodge - I only called Miele direct. I think I'm all good now if this part I'm picking up plays out. Will report back.

• geoffrey_b
    8 years ago

@Bret: Now I get it - it is a double pole switch - and I assumed one pole wasn't used. But this is not the case.

It is both a 'light on' and 'door open' switch.

• eshmh
    8 years ago

The magnetic switch switches the power to activate the relay, and the relay is activated normally when the door is closed. So either the coil in the relay is broken or pin 1 and 4 of the board interface is not receiving power so that relay is not activated when the magnetic switch is closed.

• rococogurl
    8 years ago

I would not call anyone but Miele service. However good they might be, they don't have the diagnostic tools.

• Brett Marl
    8 years ago

New switch is in and things seem happy - it's not throwing faults at least and I can hear compressor. I assume it's cooling again - I'll find out in a few hours.

FWIW - the board is identical, but interestingly they changed vendors for the relay switch.

For future reference for others in the Seattle area. part was $124 (Part #: 7 159 390). I got it from LUWA distributing (the big distributor for Miele servicing Albert Lee) in Kent. https://luwaluxury.com. They also used to do all the servicing for Miele for many years before Miele had their own techs in town, so I'd trust them to work on my unit in the future if Miele is backed up.

Thanks for help - sorry for hijacking the thread.

• 59 Dodge
    8 years ago

Glad to hear all is well, were the inside lights on all that time?

I looked up the model fridge you have, and it has Halogen lamps.

Most likely the lamps were NOT on, some of us here may recall the LG fridges burning when the lights stayed on.

Anyway, back on topic, rather than Miele spending the money on the remote system, (being an engineer like you), I would have rather they spent the money on diagnostics for the fridge and "what if circuitry".

For example, My 2006 JA Fridge has built in diagnostics, it measures every sensor, every fan, (even the fan's speed), so it makes it pretty easy to trouble shoot, (except when I had the partial plug in the sealed system).

Also for the "what if circuitry". If the light stays on with my model of JA Fridge, the circuit turns if off, but the compressor will still run, so less likely to lose a bunch of food due to such a simple failure as a light control board.

I notice your fridge seems to be somewhere around a 2008 model, and has dual compressors, did the freezer part fail too or just the fridge? Also one hopes that Miele built better diagnostics into their newer fridges as I mentioned.

• Brett Marl
    8 years ago

After ~10 minutes of "open door" signal, the lamps shut off. I assume they are on when door-closed.

Fridge is from 2010 - it's actually just a Fridge-Only column - so no freezer compartment.

Fridge is cooling nicely and back in action!

• 59 Dodge
    8 years ago

ok thanks for that, I goggled that model and I came up with the Dual compressor fridge/freezer, just goes to show ya, "You can't believe everything You read on the Net!

• eshmh
    8 years ago

I am glad that it was fixed. But the part sounds expensive to me. A compatible relay costs less than $10, actually most under $5. I would likely just replace the relay after verifying the coil is bad. :-)

https://octopart.com/rt424615-te+connectivity-39636146

Anyway, the most important thing is that the fridge is working!

• 59 Dodge
    8 years ago

I've had a Miele DW, since 2006, trouble free and I love it, (I mention this so one (or more), don't deduce from my following comment that I'm a "Miele Hater".

What I do hate is their pricing and marketing, both for the initial purchase of the appliance, but worse yet, their service and parts policy.

The reason the board is the price it is, is it can only be bought from Miele.

I tried to get a service manual, schematic, a parts list for Brett's fridge. I struck out!!! Nothing Nada, even on some of the well known appliance parts stores.

Most of the other manufactures appliance parts are readily available from numerous sources, as are schematics, service manuals etc, (well Except for Wolf), who does business the same way Miele does, (A "closed after market parts system") as they want you to buy the parts from them, and with NO competition, they can price the parts as they darn well please.

That's just a "fact of life", something you may choose to ignor when you choose the "BIG SZ/W or the BIG M" or probably the "BIG G" too, alto I have been able to find Gaggenau parts on the net and many are interchangeable with either Bosch, Thjermador or both.

This does not mean I am recommending you not buy these, (recalls my Miele DW), I just want folks to know the facts before they buy, and if they choose to ignor, well that's their money and that's their business.

Gary

• geoffrey_b
    8 years ago

Used to work for NASA - Langley. Your fridge is more complicated :)

Glad we could all work it out!

• User
    8 years ago

Gary- most folks that buy these appliances don't give a hoot whether they can buy a part from the manuf. or fleabay, or Ricky's cut rate parts emporium, nor are they going to fix the thing themselves .

They do care that their whatever is going to outa service for two weeks while the tech get around to you on the schedule.

Gurl - a few non company techs have the test computer, and all mieles are serviceable without it. In fact , in my area I'll take the savvy repair vet and his critical thinking capacity over the local company man and his computer everyday of the week. That miele computer is just a tool to make things easier, but can also be a hinderance in the hands of someone that can't use it properly.

• User
    5 years ago

Deciding between the KF 1913 or the Subzero BI36 refrigerator I discovered Miele KF1913 is "RemoteVision capable". At first I became curious, then very concerned. It sends information from your device to a data center on a WLAN. We certainly do not want to be monitored in our own home by our refrigerator: ergo the show Silicon Valley and the episode where the refrigerators eavesdrop, record and forward conversations. Is it unlikely? Oh, it is very likely. In fact, it happened with Alexa. Can manufacturers make really good appliances that don't send data? How about a refrigerator that is full depth (boo to counter depth) and just keeps your food cold? I feel about RemoteVision the way I feel about, ahem, smart meters. No. Thanks.

• Brett Marl
    5 years ago

@tilemaster7 - no worries. The fridge can't connect to anything unless you give it your Wi-Fi password. Plus you need to pay for the Remote-Vision module - just don't add that and you'll be fine. Remote-Vision not worth the $ IMHO. Cheaper and no one will ever know that you sneak downstairs for midnight snacks every Wednesday night.