Software
Houzz Logo Print
notolover

September Echinopsis hybrid pics

11 years ago

It's cooling off and the days are growing shorter, but here are a few so far:

Schick 'Cabaret'

Alltman's Echinobivia 'Rainbow burst' yellow/light orange

Comments (15)

  • 11 years ago

    Schick 'Napea'

  • 11 years ago

    OMG!!!! Napea is beyond gorgeous. This is what I have to look forward to, wow!!! My Caberet just bloomed, too. Wilted in half a day in this heat before I could get a good pic. You're getting some great late summer blossoms! Thanks for sharing.

    notolover thanked aztcqn
  • 11 years ago

    I still have a lot of buds, but it's starting to get cooler and with the shorter days I don't think I'll be seeing too many more. I think because I have to bring them in for the winter, my plants usually don't bloom until July/Aug/Sep. Much later than people in more temperate climates.

  • 11 years ago

    Late September blooms--it's been in the 90s for the past few days

    E hybrid 'Gold Crown'

    Schick hybrid Dragon Lady--this hasn't bloomed for about 5 years, I think the flower was much darker then?

    Unknown hybrid from Arizona Cactus Sales


    Trichocereus 'Raspberry'


    Paramount 'Stars and Stripes'


    Schick 'Charlemagne' I never noticed how lovely these smell

  • 11 years ago

    Here's are more from today:

    Paramount 'Watermelon'

    Schick 'Ishtar'

    Unknown label says 'Barber Pole', but it can't be

    Schick 'Winterset'


    No label--it may be Schick 'Candle light'

    Schick 'Don Juan'

  • 11 years ago

    Lovely, lovelee, lovelie!!! Sorry, if I may have asked before - How big are your multbloomers? Seems they are several stems per plant. I notice that my little single ones try to throw out a flower, but, if it gets too hot and they dry out before I get to water them, they drop their buds. The larger over 4 inch diameter single plants seem to have enough moisture to maintain a flower in dry weather.
    Your collection has so many beauties.

    notolover thanked aztcqn
  • 11 years ago

    Awsome so many there really beautifully thanks for posting

    notolover thanked coolplants007
  • 11 years ago

    aztcqn:

    'Stars and Stripes' is gigantic. It's my biggest Echinopsis hybrid (all my other big ones are considered Trichocereus hybrids). But this is the first year it bloomed so much. I found the right spot for it--it doesn't like a lot of direct sun. I also repotted it and gave it a much bigger pot.

    Some of the ones that had a lot of blooms ('Yes', 'Flatty Cake' and 'Antimatter') are relatively small and are single stems. They are in either a 4" or 6" pot. I swear that my 'Yes' shrunk this year. I hope that doesn't mean that it is dying.

    Those 3 love to bloom, but show zero interest in pushing a pup.

    I have a lot of repotting to do next spring because some of my bigger ones didn't bloom as well as they have in the past. Very few of my plants in 3" pots flower at all.

  • 11 years ago

    I think this is the last one of the year.......

    Paramount 'Peach Monarch'

  • 10 years ago

    Yeah, I checked my plants. Most are 3 inch diam max. A few are over 4.5 and some are throwing massive amount of pups instead of flowers. >: [

    I'm thinking even the low steady amount of nitrogen from the seaweed sludge food is encouraging plant growth over all. Beginning of next Spring they will only get high phos and mag as I try for more blooms.

  • 10 years ago

    It is tricky--they have to be a certain size, although I've gotten small pups from Huntington with buds on them. They have their methods down to a perfect science down, I believe.

    I moved several of the mid-sized pots to get more sun in late summer and it made an amazing amount of difference in plants that haven't bloomed before. But no afternoon sun.

    I don't know if I ever mentioned it, but I also use a very small amount of Ammonium Sulfate. Some people on the Forum dispute its use and the "Cactus Freak" (Greg, he's the one that does a lot of the time lapse bloom videos) told me that he didn't see too much difference when he used it. I do--maybe because Elton is more familiar with western US growing conditions. Greg lives in Florida so of course his conditions are much different.

    Read more here, about AS and vinegar:

    http://www.absolutelycactus.com/pages/eltons_corner/turbinicarpus_panarottoi_RH_151.html

    http://www.ccandss.com/cactus-care.html

    http://cactiguide.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=26498

    I also try to use dechlorinated water by letting it sit for a day or by using a chlorine filter if I don't have a day to wait. I don't check my pH every time I water, but I use the aquarium strips when I do. Easier than using a kit.

    I only use the AS during growing season and not every week. A few of the plants can't take this and they split so I have to be careful and tag the pot.

    Sorry for being so long winded. You have all winter to do your research so good luck. Let me know if you want me to send you some "babies" next spring.


  • 10 years ago

    I've heard of vinegar in water for cactus. I do have some water in rain barrels which may be what the lil guys prefer. I reserve it for my orchids, but, it could make a difference in my herd of echinopsis. I know how small adjustments can make a big difference, so, yes, I will read up.
    Info and guidance is always welcome. :]
    Thank you for posting the links.

    notolover thanked aztcqn
  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Notolover. Thanks especially for posting the Echinobivia Rainbow Burst. I know that the BBS has these and I grabbed a few of them. Saved me from ordering the Schick hybrids from the Huntington. Altmans never has Echinopsis in their mix but this intergeneric hybrid is just as good-looking as those Schick hybrids IMO.

    notolover thanked Dar Sunset Zone 18
  • 10 years ago

    Hi Dar,

    I can't resist the Rainbow Bursts at all. I mentioned in another thread that they are like presents--you never know what you're going to get :-) One of mine is a little bigger, but it has yet to flower--the buds just drop. With my luck it will probably bloom white whenever it does.

    And I agree some of mine do rival the Schick's at half the price. I have most of the Schick's I really want now anyway unless something catches my eye so the RB's are a nice diversion. And after they flower you can give them your own names.

    But in reality I shouldn't be buying anymore due to lack of Winter space.

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Franklin Cnty OH