Software
Houzz Logo Print
westphal95

I need ideas for my original mid-century kitchen - I love it, but...

11 years ago
last modified: 11 years ago

Comments (30)

  • 11 years ago
    Take down the curving wood piece above the sink. Replace sink faucet hardware.
    westphal95 thanked zahs
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    It is also very run down. I love the wood color, but up close it's worn out.

  • 11 years ago

    but I love the original formica tops with gold flecks--very cool...

  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Not sure how much you want to change. You can go further with the mid-century look by adding a colorful backsplash and paint above the cupboards a goldish color to compliment counter, add a large gold/black mat, remove books from shelves and add vases, remove the wooden valance and add blinds, sand and restain your cupboards and add some neat handles.

    Mid-Century Butler's Pantry · More Info

    westphal95 thanked Maureen
  • 11 years ago

    Sometimes lightly worn areas can be sanded lightly and coated with a couple thin coats of clear finish.

    westphal95 thanked apple_pie_order
  • 11 years ago

    also, the placement or general "looks" of the refrigerator area, but I can't seem to think of a different way...

  • 11 years ago
    New custom cabinetry would make a big difference. Is you final goal a new kitchen? Or just some changes to what you have?
    westphal95 thanked zahs
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Not much you can do to the fridge area, other than removing items on top and using under sink garbage can. Once you update the rest, your eyes will be drawen to color, mat, blinds, accessories.

    westphal95 thanked Maureen
  • 11 years ago

    This one is hard. Sometimes a vintage kitchen will do with a little paint here and there. It looks like a nice, large space. Don't know what your budget is. If the cabinets are really worn (i.e., almost falling apart), then putting a lot of work into them may not pay off. To me, the white appliances stand out a lot.

    westphal95 thanked inabunker
  • 11 years ago

    What's your budget and what's your style? There are so many ways
    you can go about changing this kitchen. Number 1 thing I could think of
    is taking off the floating cabinets above the counter.

    If your
    budget permits, I would actually change the plan of the kitchen and get
    rid of the counter with the floating shelves all together, extend the kitchen another foot and create an
    island with a bar sitting area.


    MID-CENTURY MODERN RESIDENCE · More Info

    GRIFFIN ENRIGHT ARCHITECTS: Santa Monica Canyon Residence · More Info

    Mid-Century · More Info

    Mid-Century · More Info

    westphal95 thanked Alexandra
  • 11 years ago

    Do you have a budget range in mind or are you in the gathering-ideas stage?

    westphal95 thanked apple_pie_order
  • 11 years ago

    these are all wonderful ideas. I really appreciate your time--I'm still in the "gathering" stage, leaning toward more "fixing" than remodeling, because it would cause the whole house to have to be redone if I start that ball rolling. But I am very open to suggestions!

  • 11 years ago
    If you go the route of getting cabinets sanded and restained, you may be able to get matching wood panels for fridge.
    http://houzz.com/photos/2758433
    What kind of flooring do you have? It looks like it continues into adjoining spaces too, but I think it looks kinda drab, but maybe it's just a dark picture.
    westphal95 thanked MarleneM
  • 11 years ago

    I guess it is kind of drab, but its some kind of super linoleum kind of cool...has golden flecks in it. Mid-century losers like me think its pretty amazing...plus I have 7 kids, so i love that its so durable and easy to clean. Ill try to send a better picture. (admittedly, its harvest gold in color...)

  • 11 years ago

    I secretly love the glitter...

  • 11 years ago

    A quick way to change the appearance is to change CFL light bulbs to brighter LED bulbs. Or change the central light fixture if it has fluorescent tubes. Adding LED undercabinet lighting is easy, too.

    westphal95 thanked apple_pie_order
  • 11 years ago

    hmm...that sounds like a good beginning for sure...


  • 11 years ago
    Thanks for the floor pic. It's most likely original and probably almost indestructible, so keep it as is! It sounds like you really love many elements of this kitchen and the mcm style, so I think the suggestion above to update light bulbs or lighting would be a great start.
  • PRO
    11 years ago

    Custom knobs would make your old cabinets look new. Knockout Knobs uses 3D metal printing technology to create the perfect knob for your kitchen cabinets. Your Passion, Your Design, Your Hardware. New knobs will add the "jewelry" to your cabinets. nancy@knockoutknobs.com



  • 11 years ago

    I love your kitchen! Try some Howard's Restor-a-finish on your cabinets. I used it on my dining room table with very good results. http://www.howardproducts.com/prod-restor-a-finish.php You could also add some period correct hardware.

  • 11 years ago

    If you use the Restore-A-Finish, make sure you seal with poly or varnish, the Restore a finish is a re-amalgamizer, but it does not have a top coat to protect from the same damage happening again.

  • 11 years ago

    Thanks for adding that Charlie! I knew that myself but neglected to say it here.

  • 11 years ago
    Thank you for your comments-I absolutely love hearing other people's ideas. Seeing how low my widow is to the sink, what window treatments would be best?
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Re: window coverings, 1.) I would remove the wood valance, I know it is period correct, but I think the window would look better with either a fabric valance, (you can put one in with a simple spring tension rod between the two cabinets) or two roman shades, if you need privacy/light control. It's the perfect opportunity to introduce a color you like.

    westphal95 thanked charlie4129
  • 11 years ago

    Just how midcentury do you want to go?

    Retro Fridge, Pink Lemonade, With Ice Maker · More Info

    Blue and White Kitchen Renovation St. Louis, MO · More Info

  • 11 years ago
    For window covering I suggest done sort of shade rather than curtains. A roller shade is probably more period. It could be made from a mid century style fabric that contains gold and also brings in other colours. See an example below:
    http://houzz.com/photos/10462429
    westphal95 thanked MarleneM
  • 11 years ago

    i like the material for the curtain. I'm fine with the wooden valence being removed, and actually feel that it doesn't match the other parts of the kitchen.

  • PRO
    11 years ago

    Love the floors! If they are in good shape, they are worth their weight in GOLD. You can't beat Lino for durability. Keep what you like...especially if it is still functional! And yes...the glitter is what tells you it is original.

  • 11 years ago
    Thanks-I'm going to hang onto the floors-they go through a large part of the house and it would be opening up a "can of worms" to do the kitchen. We'd have to go everywhere...laundry room, bathroom, halls and family room.
Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz