Software
Houzz Logo Print
mcm9296

Master bedroom redesign

11 years ago
My husband and I have pale yellow walls in our master bedroom. What color carpet should I get? I love color.

Comments (19)

  • PRO
    11 years ago

    What is your bedding o, furniture , walls can be painted we need a little more info.

    mcm9296 thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • 11 years ago

    What color are your furniture, your bedding, your window treatments, etc.

    mcm9296 thanked orangecamera
  • 11 years ago

    Thank you! We are kind of starting over. We recent empty nesters and are moving back into the master bedroom. It used to be our office. Bedroom furniture is dark wood kind of a cherry brown. We only have a long dresser with a big glass mirror and one tall dresser. We do not have a bed frame currently, only the mattress so we can purchase any bed that we want as long as it goes with the dressers. We plan on purchasing new window treatments and bedding so I would love suggestions for those as well as the carpet. I do like a more modern look but I am not sure how modern our furniture is. We have a king size bed that we are putting in a small bedroom. We painted the walls a pale yellow to match the rest of the house but we are second guessing that color but really not sure what other color would work well. Right now the old carpet is a pale green and we would like to do something different. I love the color purple but it is our master bedroom so I don't want it to look like a girls room. The master bedroom is connected to a master bath that has striped wallpaper that we do not have the time to change right now I guess it might be kind of outdated. It has yellow's mom's pale green etc. I am attaching photos. Please forgive the mess as we are packing up and moving rooms around. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

  • 11 years ago

    Try attaching photos again, please.

    mcm9296 thanked apple_pie_order
  • 10 years ago

  • 10 years ago

  • 10 years ago

  • 10 years ago

    Finally got the pictures to attach :) :)

  • 10 years ago

    Thanks for photo. It sounds like you are ready for something completely different. I suggest you find some bedding you really like (perhaps with some purple in it) and take your paint color cues from it. Neutral off white carpet would probably work fine for you. Take photos of the brown dresser and go shopping for a new headboard, nightstands and lamps. You might consider hiring a decorator to help you. Sometimes large department stores (in my area) have decorators on staff in their furniture departments.


    mcm9296 thanked apple_pie_order
  • 10 years ago

    Thanks for the pictures.

    So, you're really starting from scratch with the master bedroom, except for the dressers and mirror. Since you said they're not really your style, is it possible for you to replace them?

    Look at plenty of bedroom pictures on houzz, and save pictures you like to your ideabook. After a while you'll start to see what kind of look you're drawn to. Then people can help you figure out how to achieve that look.

    mcm9296 thanked orangecamera
  • 10 years ago

    Ah, a large number of photos just showed up, thanks. The wallpaper can be replaced with something new once you have an overall color scheme for the room. Or just strip the wallpaper now, prime with white primer, and then it'll be a lot easier to think about new colors.

    mcm9296 thanked apple_pie_order
  • 10 years ago

    Great suggestions. Thank you very much. The furniture is my mother in law's and my husband doesn't want to replace them although I would love to. I am hoping I can still make it work. I guess the wallpaper is outdated so I may strip it if I can get it done before we have to move in. If not I will do it later once I know my color scheme.

  • 10 years ago

    The furniture is far from terrible. Would your husband be okay with just replacing the hardware with something more modern? (Keep the original hardware in the back of a drawer, because you never know...) Think of the hardware as the "jewelry" of the furniture (don't tell this to your husband! LOL)

    It's much easier to find a paint to coordinate with your bedding than it is to find bedding to look good with your walls, so maybe you want to choose your bedding first.

    I know your original question was about carpet color. Carpet's not something you're going to want to replace every time you redecorate, so choose a very neutral color, IMO. I had a berber that had flecks of beige, brown and gray so it went with almost everything. Now I have a wood laminate floor and I purchase inexpensive area rugs when I change my bedroom colors.

    mcm9296 thanked orangecamera
  • 10 years ago

    I second (third) the idea of choosing new bedroom furniture for your master bedroom. Your mother in law's furniture can go in a different bedroom - or eventually to one of your children now that you have an empty nest (and they are presumably starting out with the traditional hand me downs and Ikea fill-ins). Spending money to match things you don't love and decorating around them is a waste of money. Get what you and your husband both love.

    mcm9296 thanked apple_pie_order
  • 10 years ago

    Changing the hardware is a great idea!!! Changing the furniture is not an option but I do agree spending money to match something I don't love isn't the best idea. I am hoping to find something I can easily work with later if we replace the furniture. I am also thinking about painting my own end tables. We can't afford to do it all at once so we have to live with the MIL furniture for right now. I am looking at a neutral color carpet like off white but I get stuck on the "beige/brown" blandness but I keep reminding myself I will be adding color. We do have a dog so white is not smart. Never thought about Berber. Did you like it? We are looking at something very soft and comfy. I agree with the bedding / walls so I am starting to shop.

  • 10 years ago

    Thank you guys very much for your help and suggestions. I really do appreciate it and am so glad I found this app!

  • 10 years ago

    I'm not in love with berber-it's been on its way out for quite some time. For something a bit more updated and with more wearability, you might look for a woven textured carpet in wool. Soft, easy to clean and wears well. You may find that when your remove your drawer hardware the wood underneath is a different color than the rest of the wood on the dresser. If you find that's the case, you can always spray paint the current hardware-maybe something in a hammered nickel finish. Good luck with your project!

    mcm9296 thanked katinparadise
  • 10 years ago

    I can't say I really enjoyed having berber, except that it was easy to decorate around. I'm sure @katinparadise's suggestion is better :) Berber isn't "soft and comfy".

    mcm9296 thanked orangecamera
Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio