Software
Houzz Logo Print
rebeccamomof123

What is your favorite blogger's house tour?

10 years ago
last modified: 10 years ago

My love for home design/décor started when I was young. While I was elementary school aged, my mom left her job as a teacher to become a real estate agent so she could be home more with us. I used to love going with her to the open houses to see how other people designed their homes. My parents were (and still are) very frugal and practical, and money spent on home decorations and décor was silly and frivolous to them. Growing up, our home was practical and highly functional, but never 'fancy' looking like some of the other homes I saw. I think this might be why today, I get such pleasure out of making my home pretty. Although even still, my mom will visit and make comments like, "Is that a new throw pillow? Didn't you just get new throw pillows two years ago!?" She considers my generation to be the kings/queens of disposable (I'm 42). It's probably true - nothing I buy with the exception of good furniture is intended to last more than a few years.

But I digress...with all these bloggers out there, now showcasing their homes for the world to see, what is YOUR favorite blogger home tour and why?! Just a few years ago I discovered this phenomenon of bloggers giving home tours so I'm sure there are many that I've missed, but for me - the first time I laid eyes on ThistleWood Farms, I was awestruck. After pouring though each room in great detail, I drove on autopilot to HomeGoods and looked for items to recreate some of those looks in my own home. http://www.thistlewoodfarms.com/house-tour

I love her use of creams, whites and neutral color palette, with lots of natural wood tones. I love her butlers pantry, china cabinet displays and foyer arrangement. While some rooms are a little over-accessorized for my taste (and her dining room is a bit ornate for me) I definitely look to her style as inspirations to draw from in my own home.

Comments (22)

  • 10 years ago

    I like Karianne's home too. I'm just going to list some favorite blog HOMES, not sure if they all have home tours.

    Edith and Evelyn Vintage - lovely antiques

    Emily A. Clark - a bit more modern, love her use of accessories and fabrics

    Finding Home Online - farmhouse

    For the Love of a House - probably my most favorite blogger's home. An old home, renovated. Beautiful landscaping and lots of antiques. Her taste is impeccable!

    Forever Cottage - my cottage fix

    My Sweet Savannah - more cottage fix and she is a great DIY'er

    The Endearing Home

    Duke Manor Farm - more farmhouse love

    rebeccamomof123 thanked tinam61
  • 10 years ago

    Oh, I will have some fun ' research' lined up for tonight with that list, Tina. Thanks!!

  • 10 years ago

    I like Botanic Bleu. A French-inspired post and beam house.

    http://botanicbleu.blogspot.com/

    rebeccamomof123 thanked LucyStar1
  • 10 years ago

    One of my favorite blogs is Things That Inspire and I am dying for her to do a house tour, but she hasn't (weep.) In fact, the blog hasn't been updated in a long time, I hope she isn't quitting! I love her taste.

    rebeccamomof123 thanked nini804
  • 10 years ago

    Haven't been on any decorating blogs for so long...going to have to get back at it now that we'll soon be cocooning at home more frequently.

    I also love 'For the Love of a Home' as well...beautiful.

    One of my faves is 'House of Turquoise'.

    I used to also check out Little Green Notebook and Elements of Style but haven't done so for quite a while.

    Will have to check out some of the others named above:)


    rebeccamomof123 thanked lisa_mocha
  • 10 years ago

    I also like 'For the Love of a House' and refer to it over and over - especially when I feel I am losing my perspective. It grounds me in some way to the style that I admire and feel most reflects my comfort zone.

    Another blog that I enjoy for its simplicity of style is 'The Gardener's Cottage'. Love her style and restraint.

    And if you haven't checked out 'Have Some Decorum', I highly recommend it for the author's inspiration, style and spirited attitude.

    I admire each of these women's style and writing. Worth a look...


    rebeccamomof123 thanked rubyclaire
  • 10 years ago


    The Enchanted Home Great for when I am in the mood for high style beauty.


    The Pennington Point I love this one because the author is on a tight budget, but she doesn't let that stop her from having fun with her house. I also can relate to her big family. : )


    Southern Hospitality is another fun, thrifty blog.


    Farmhouse 5440 Spaces that are simple, whitewashed, and charming.

    rebeccamomof123 thanked laughablemoments
  • 10 years ago

    I also LOVE for the love of a house. I can look at each of her rooms for hours!

    I am going to have to check out the others listed here. Looks like I am in for some great eye candy!


    rebeccamomof123 thanked amykath
  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    No one mentioned the ultimate in decorating house tours! The Peak of Chic

    Look at that trompe l'oeil!!

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Mia's Landliv is one that draws me back again and again. I love seeing the changes in her garden over the year, drooling over her handicrafts, and the interior of her home is absolutely charming.

  • 10 years ago

    Brooke Gianneti's blog Velvet and Linen is just one of my faves.I don't think it's been quite 2 years since she and her architect husband built their new home in the rural area of Oxnard, Ca, but what a pleasure to watch the process. While I love the home/garden, i'm not too crazy about her rustic decorating style,but do like the more formal French 'accoutrements'. Another favorite is Savvy Southern Style. She did a budget reno on her home and the kitchen is gorgeous. I can really relateto her style. Southern Hospitality is a very loooog time favorite, maybe the first blog I ever signed on to receive. I remember Rhoda from close to 15 years ago from a couple of forums. There was a small group of us from Ca who would get together occasionally, and Rhoda was coming from Georgia to Ca to meet up. Unfortunately it rained horribly that weekend, and I wasn't up to making the 2 hr drive from SD to LA by myself so missed meeting Rhoda. I'm sure there are others,but these 3 stand out in my mind.


  • 10 years ago

    I don't want to see bloggers personal homes. The home of the woman who writes Hooked on Houses was a disappointment. She sifts through some of the best and worst in the world of high design on a daily basis, as well as readers' homes that are for sale (some of which are better than celeb or movie houses). Imagine my surprise when her own home looked like a Target ad! I love her blog but wish she would keep her own house out of it. Young House Love was so self absorbed I actually couldn't stand it,

  • 10 years ago

    But KSWL, most of the home design bloggers write about their own homes and what they are doing in their home. I know the blog you are talking about but I have not seen the blogger's home. Have you looked at any listed here? For the Love of a House's home (and property) is just gorgeous. I love seeing the homes of regular every-day people vs. designers. Granted, some are much more talented than others.

    I also like Savvy Southern Style, I know Shee does too and we've discussed the home there. What bugs me at times about that blog is the owner is a wonderful DIY'er (along with her husband), but she is CONSTANTLY changing her home. I mean constantly! LOL I also like EmilyAClark.com. She is a designer who is a stay-at-home mom to 5 children. I love seeing what she does in her own home (they just moved so all new stuff LOL!) and the everyday stuff with occasional pix of her family.

  • 10 years ago

    I also like seeing the actual house the bloggers live in, not something designed or staged. Although, many of the bloggers do stage the rooms for the photos. In Thistlewood Farm, you can see Karianne repurposes some of the same pillows and accessories in each room, probably just for the photos.

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    I've never heard of most of these blogs, but went to see the HoH house. It does read like catalog, but more Grandinroad than Pottery Barn.

    Love the home of Brooke (Velvet & Linen), but I only click on her blog a few times a year to catch up. I enjoy the humor of Victoria Elizabeth Barnes and try to check on hers twice a month.

    I'm with Tinam. Many of the bloggers are paid and/or get free items from various sources to actually do things to their houses. Those that are good at it - like Miss Mustard Seed - end up with contracts or TV shows (Pioneer Woman). I used to check MMS on occasion but find I don't have the time to read blogs, and when I did, I didn't find them very interesting. I don't want to know how to do a tablescape, decopauge or watch them unpack a desk chair (I kid you not!).

    Atticmag founder Jane (Rococogurl @GW) reached out to me via GW to feature my kitchen, which led to me writing for Atticmag for a few years. She later featured my home. We posted something from our own houses maybe a few times a year - if we were doing something worth showing readers. Would I want to blog? No. Did I like writing about something going on at my house or DD2, as it is quicker/easier for me to write about! I only wish I had been writing for AM when DD1 was living in San Francisco since she had/has great taste!

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    I'm a "For the Love of a House" fan because I like her blogging habits. She's not a frequent poster and doesn't recycle content, for the most part. When her posts come up, I know they're going to be good and original. I've read so many blogs that I quickly pick up on those that post just to post, or those that have an agenda that doesn't benefit me. I just don't follow them.

    There are sooooooo many blogs today that you can really pick and choose based on where you are in your own stage of home decor. If you're on a limited budget and need DIY ideas, there are many good ones to follow. If you are re-decorating or incorporating different styles with what you already have, there are blogs that do this, too. If you like visual candy and "dream home" inspiration, there's plenty out there for this.

  • 10 years ago

    I don't check their blogs often, but I would say my favorites are LGN/Jenny Komenda and http://theartoftheroom.com/blog/

    Usually I am lazy and just go to Pinterest. My absolute favorite pinner is Lindajane Keefer. https://www.pinterest.com/lmkeefer/

    (I've posted her link before . . .if you don't follow her already, check it out and you're welcome, haha.)

  • 10 years ago

    Selcier, have you read her book? I was a little disappointed it was written blog-style, but it was still very enjoyable!


  • 10 years ago

    I like the houses of Lauren Liess (Pure Style Home) and Julie Carlson (Remodelista).

    I enjoy the glimpses of Justine Hand's house (designskool), love the photography on that blog.

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    I don't know that these people do home tours. My fav is For the Love of House. I also like The Polohouse, Vignette Design, Dear Lillie. Southern Hospitality, Maria Killam. Tina is right about Savvysoutherstyle. There's always new content, but it changes at warp speed.

    I have to say, I find it comical when a blogger has a weekly 'post your awesomeness' and people thank the blogger for hosting. What? It's polite I suppose, but not a dinner party. And these linking up DIY parties tend to be mostly food related these days which I find disappointing.

  • 9 years ago

    tinam61 and Sheeisback, I'm finding this thread fourteen months later and yes, I do constantly change things to bring my readers inspiration for their own homes to show them how easy it is to just change the accessories, change a piece of furniture or change the wall color for very little money plus I can now afford to use the income from blogging to update my home that needed some changing after fifteen years....now twenty one years. Our tastes and style changes as we age. If I wasn't blogging my home would not be changing at warp speed because I couldn't afford to for one thing and would have no need to. I would still change things seasonally as I always have and would still find pieces to paint since I love creating. My home is a play ground. :) So glad y'all listed me as one to follow.