Software
Houzz Logo Print
sorceresslelia

If I like growing hippeastrum, what else would I like?

10 years ago

I'm looking for other plants with similar culture to hippeastrum. I'm very bored and need a new project for the winter...it gets miserable here in New York after October. Anyone got any ideas?

Comments (12)

  • 10 years ago

    Well, as you can see from many of my old posts, I am fascinated by other Amaryllids from South Africa and South America. If you want something to grow in winter a nice winter growing South African Amaryllid might do the trick for you. How about a Boophane or even an Amaryllis (the real thing) as they are winter growers and stay that way in our hemisphere and climate. Watch out with boredom as you end up with too many plants :o) Dan

    sorceresslelia thanked bluebonsai101
  • 10 years ago

    You're right about the too many plants thing. Im enabling myself because I spent some time in the hospital in august and lost a lot of my plants. I only recently felt like gardening again, but I am amassing a bit of a collection. I still have some window space for a few more though ;)

  • 10 years ago

    Any bulb. Go to Pacific Bulb Soc website and see which ones strike your fancy.

    sorceresslelia thanked bossyvossy
  • 10 years ago

    Your Clivia is wonderful….I have a couple of variegated ones, but I do not think I take care of them properly as I have had them for many, many years and hey have not bloomed. When I bring them inside for the winter I stop watering until April or May when they go back outside…..perhaps not the best practices :o) Dan

    sorceresslelia thanked bluebonsai101
  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Thanks Dan. Do they get a cool period like the Hippeastrums get Dan? 8 weeks of 55F and below? I water mine (twice a month) even if they are in the garage for their winter rest.

    sorceresslelia thanked mariava7
  • 10 years ago

    you could play with adenium … desert rose … from seed … little trees … caudex experiment

    sorceresslelia thanked bragu_DSM 5
  • 10 years ago

    Cyrtanthus, Stenomesson, Sprekelia, Crinum, Nerine are my suggestions, when You whant to stay close to Amaryllis

    sorceresslelia thanked fishing_dentist
  • 10 years ago

    Many Cyrtanthus are evergreen of course, but many of the others are summer growers. I love my C. obliqquus and C. herrei for both the flowers and leaves (I've posted pics of mine here before) so I can recommend those whole-heartedly. I guess I imagined he would want something to grow during the winter. I do love my Stenomesson, Sprekelia, Crinum and Nerine, but mine are all dormant now for the winter.

    Adenium are wonderful in bloom and the caudex of course is maybe the main attraction for people like me.

    Good luck with whatever you decide to try and grow for the winter :o) Dan


    sorceresslelia thanked bluebonsai101
  • 10 years ago

    If "he" is in reference to me, I'm female. But thanks for the ideas, everyone :) gonna hold off on trying to get a worsleya until I'm certain it won't be another hellish eternal winter up here like it has been for the past two years (polar vortex thing, I'm in new york). But im definitely going to try some of these, they all look lovely, and I've never grown anything with a caudex before. Pray for my soul, everyone in warm places. Waiting from October to May for the ground to thaw just sucks...

  • 10 years ago

    Sorry about that - need to refer to people that start a message as the OP like on other forums.

  • 10 years ago

    Griffinia

Sponsored