Software
Houzz Logo Print
brianmacauley

Ceiling height

13 years ago
Do you happen to know the ceiling height on this basement? Does the black ceiling give the sense of a higher ceiling or does it feel lower? Thanks!
Duncan Avenue Basement Renovation · More Info

Comments (5)

  • PRO
    13 years ago
    The black ceiling definetly made it feel more spacious than it was. I have also been in basements were they were painted white and I think black works better. The bottom of joists were approx. 7'-4" and the ductwork was sometimes at 6'-6". Lighting design is the key to any successful basement project.
  • 12 years ago
    First, thanks to the R.D. Architects. This project inspired us to finish our basement.
    Our basement has a ceiling height of 7' 1" at the joists and 6' 4" at the duct work. I'm 6' 3" and the basement feels big with white walls, black ceiling and slightly enlarged windows. We used a standard brick moulding along the ceiling, 1x4 for the door moulding and 5-1/4" "colonial" floor moulding.

    Thanks again for the great inspiration!!
  • 12 years ago
    Do you know the name of the ikea cabinets? Did you have to paint them or did your order them in red?
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I do not think those are available in red anymore from ikea. There are other colors though.
  • 12 years ago
    Not sure if they are the same, but I happened to see these in my recent search for other cabinets.

    GODMORGON/ BRÅVIKEN
    Sink cabinet with 2 drawers, high gloss red
    http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S19903221/