Software
Houzz Logo Print
charbowie

Replacing chairs for dining room table

10 years ago

Took my chairs to consignment shop. Too heavy (42 lbs. ea.) My table is a keeper. I want new chairs that go well with table, just not so heavy. I have been considering parsons chairs. What can I mix with the metal?

Comments (33)

  • 10 years ago

  • 10 years ago

    Upholstered chairs like Parsons would work well.

    charbowie thanked holly98
  • 10 years ago

    charbowie thanked susan2494
  • 10 years ago

    Pier 1 $230

    charbowie thanked susan2494
  • 10 years ago

    pheww thank goodness fell in love with the first one and nearly died! lol

    charbowie thanked havingfun
  • 10 years ago

    Thanks so much! That's really cool! Those chairs are very pretty. However, they would be the only blue in my room. Do they come in other colors?

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    If your response is to me...then, no, the chairs are vintage.

    Am I not seeing a dark blue in your rug?

    charbowie thanked JudyG Designs
  • 10 years ago

    I think the plain simple straight line of the Parson Chair would work very well in your room....you have a lot of movement and curves all over the room, which I like, I just think the parson chairs will give some rest for the eye and calm things down a bit!

    charbowie thanked Susan Davis
  • 10 years ago

    Judy, there's no blue at all in the rug. It's a black background with green and tropical leaves. Thanks for your input. This site is so helpful!

  • 10 years ago

    soosun2, I like your idea! I think I am going with the parson's chairs in a neutral off white or cream. I think I'll get the upholstered legs, not skirted. Think that will give that area a soft calmer look. Thanks for your advice.

  • 10 years ago

    Good to know, I think on everyone's monitors it looks navy and cream.

    charbowie thanked susan2494
  • 10 years ago

    looked that way to me too? Happy thanksgiving everyone!

    charbowie thanked havingfun
  • 10 years ago

    The rug looks navy and cream? Wow! That's very strange. Thanks everyone. Happy Thanksgiving!

  • 10 years ago
    Black with lavender?
    charbowie thanked patrinkac
  • 10 years ago

    No lavender either! Too funny! I wonder why the colors are so off!

  • 10 years ago

    I would bring home a skirted and upholstered leg Parsons chair first before I made a final decision. Nice to see how it would look or maybe someone can photo shop in the two styles.

    Tried to find rooms that had your same drama to compare leg versus skirt.

    Traditional Dining Room · More Info


    Bowman Dining · More Info


    Clear Creek · More Info

    charbowie thanked Susan Davis
  • 10 years ago
    I agree with trying both. Sometimes having a lot of leg showing ;-) causes more visual excitement than a long skirt. If you already have a lot going on then the skirt may work better--but must try each to see what works best. I am debating similar type choice in my nook.
    charbowie thanked Missy Bee
  • PRO
    10 years ago

    missybee, I just got the biggest chuckle from your sentence "sometimes having a lot of leg showing causes visual excitment...........". Thanks for a good laugh to start my Thanksgiving Day.


    Happy Turkey Day to all.

    charbowie thanked JudyG Designs
  • PRO
    10 years ago

    How about the Parson look, but in a grey wicker which will relate to your tropical rug and the color of the table legs? These are from Crate and Barrel @ $279.00.




    charbowie thanked JudyG Designs
  • 10 years ago

    Judy, I like your idea. I love wicker. My dining area is part of our large great room with cathedral ceilings. It's very open. I wonder if my mirror reflecting back the room, made it appear smaller and busy. I think I'll take another photo with my smartphone in hopes of getting truer colors. I wish I knew how to photoshop. I would love to see the different chairs with my table. I am having so much fun with this. I'll be sure to post when we all decide what I'm getting! Lol. Thanks so much! Hope everyone is having a wonderful Thanksgiving!

  • 10 years ago

    soosun2.... Thanks for all the nice pictures! I'm now confident I'll make the right decision . I so appreciate everyone's great suggestions! This is so much fun!

  • 10 years ago

    Here are wicker chairs with your room, both natural and a black one.

  • 10 years ago

    Here are a couple more in dark gray

  • 10 years ago

    Gray high back (love these)

    charbowie thanked susan2494
  • 10 years ago

    While these suggested chairs go well in the room I'd still like to see something lighter and a bit more "personality" to go with the rooms feel. I agree that there should be no pattern to make the room too busy but the chairs shouldn't be too basic either. Just some examples I googled of the sort





    charbowie thanked Tems
  • 10 years ago

    Thanks Tems! I really like the second from the bottom chairs. Very different!

  • 10 years ago

    Thanks Susan! I really like the wicker chairs. With all the good choices, how am I to decide? Wouldn't have to worry about our grandchildren's spills with the black, would I?

  • 10 years ago

    Soooo many great ideas coming in! Have fun deciding.

    charbowie thanked Susan Davis
  • PRO
    10 years ago

    What did you ended up with?

    charbowie thanked 7 Sisters Interiors
  • 10 years ago

    Hi! I really liked the design of the dark blue chair that Susan photoshopped in with my table above. It has a scroll back top. I decided on a very neutral color, ordered multiple fabric swatches before ordering. Ironically, the chairs were just delivered today! They are lighter in color than I expected. I threw together the centerpiece to get an idea of what I may like. The suggestions you all offered were a tremendous help in making a final decision. Did I do okay????

  • 10 years ago

    great!

    charbowie thanked havingfun
  • 10 years ago

    Very nice, Good Job. Love the shape of the chairs.

    charbowie thanked susan2494