Software
Houzz Logo Print
victorianrevival

Need help for living and dining room in old Victorian house

10 years ago
last modified: 10 years ago

Hello everyone, I'm having a hard time trying to commit to a design style and I am hoping someone can help. Bought and will be renovating our parent's old Victorian home. I appreciate the Victorian style and would like to have some classic pieces to go with the time period. However, I do like the look of modern/futuristic furniture (think 'The Sexy house' if you've seen that Modern Family episode) so I'm in a bit of a dilemma. I am attaching the layout of most of the 1st floor design idea an interior designer came up with (bottom of design is the room I attached pics for). I'm not crazy how the furniture is place diagonally. Do you think this is the best design for the room? Both rooms are approximately 25' x 13.5' and only have pictures of the living room since we are in the process of de-cluttering the dining/sitting area at the moment. :)

I'd love to hear some ideas on how to mix the Victorian period with modern furniture and decor. The living room also looked like it may have been two room previously since there is some sort of divide between the room (1st pic - about 4 1/2' wide). I'm curious what may have been there before. Does anyone have any creative ideas on what to do for this area or should I leave as is?

I'm very visual so it helps me to see pictures if you have any favorites you could send. I appreciate any help you can provide. Thank you all in advance!

The "sexy living room"! I like looks similar to this - but definitely not to this extent! :)

Comments (12)

  • 10 years ago

    Thank you! This is how the designer placed it in her design but it isn't necessary. It isn't there now. It is in the middle room/sitting area on the wall where she has another couch going diagonally (opposite the wall the fireplace is on/near the french doors).

  • 10 years ago

    Here is what I came up with. Let me know what you like don't like or if I have something completely wrong. Once we decide on an arrangement then you can pick out furniture.

    victorianrevival thanked susan2494
  • 10 years ago

    I'm not sure what the designer was thinking, but I see no entryway into the seating area by the front door. I have reduced the number of items in the room also. You don't need every inch of space filled. You can always add more later after you buy your main pieces.

    victorianrevival thanked susan2494
  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    I am not sure about the 4' space by stairs, but would guess that the room had huge pocket doors to close it off and maybe that was just a walkway to enter the room. I see that you have the same on the end of the dining/sitting room.

    victorianrevival thanked susan2494
  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    You are absolutely right about the entryway and I can't believe I didn't notice that until now! We mainly use the side door to enter but guests will arrive through the front door and wouldn't want them to walk all the way around to sit down!

    I really liked your design! This makes so much more sense. Since we use the side door to enter, should the lounge chair be moved or replaced? If replaced, what do you think would look good in it's place? I love seeing other people's creative minds going so thank you for taking the time to do this. I'm definitely saving this one! :)

  • 10 years ago


    dining room

  • 10 years ago

    You can certainly replace the chaise lounge, I just put it in because every Victorian room has a "fainting couch". We can add another chair if you would like that better. The chaise shouldn't block the doorway that much. You do mean the smaller doors by TV right?

    victorianrevival thanked susan2494
  • 10 years ago

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Also comes in white leather. Perfect size for room.

    http://www.lexmod.com/p-15601-18773-loft-right-facing-sectional-sofa.aspx

  • 10 years ago

    Regarding the pocket doors. I have no clue if that is what was there, but many of those older homes had them. You would have to check with a contractor. If they were pocket doors,, someone may have just taken them out and re-did the frame work. Be interesting to know if they can be re-installed.

  • 10 years ago

    Yes, the smaller doors by the TV. Fainting couch and pocket doors! Oh my! I love learning more about this time period from your posts. Regarding pocket doors, this pic below has a similar front door/living room layout. Do you think that could work? I would love to add some privacy between that room and the front door entrance but I have no idea what something like that would cost or how it would look. Thank you again you wonderful woman!