Software
Houzz Logo Print
jdrenth

Paint color ideas

10 years ago
Looking for ideas on what color to paint the living room walls. Still love the furniture and rug. The current color is BM Waterbury Cream. I've done some sample boards of BM Coastal Fog, BM Silver Fox and BM Ashley Gray....none are striking me quite right. Thanks!!

Comments (26)

  • 10 years ago

    Ocelot or leopard pattern rug is spectacular. Are you keeping the pillows?

  • 10 years ago
    Thanks! I was planning on keeping the pillows but could change them to tie in with a new paint color.
  • 10 years ago

    I like SW Realist Beige and Balanced Beige. You should get samples of whatever you choose to make sure the color goes with your woodwork. I think I see a reddish hue in it. BM Muslin looks good too. I must say I agree with ApplePieOrder. That rug is fabulous.

  • 10 years ago
    Thanks for the input.....I'm really trying to get away from beige...but that may be the direction I'm going to have to go.
    I've had the rug for 8 years now....I love it as much today as I did when I bought it!
  • 10 years ago
    I was trying to break out of my "beige" comfort zone....you're right the gray's ....even a warm gray... just isn't going to work.
    I will look into creams. Thanks!
  • 10 years ago

    No gray in your beautiful room!!

    jdrenth thanked grapefruit1_ar
  • 10 years ago

    Would you consider something like BenjaminMoore Plaster of Paris or Dove Wing? They are in the off white shades.

    jdrenth thanked emmarene9
  • 10 years ago

    Here's a pretty cream and an article that recommends a couple creamy, non-yellow whites. Just scroll down to the picture below:

    https://www.houzz.com/magazine/11-terrific-paint-color-matches-for-wood-details-stsetivw-vs~9025200-terrific-paint-color-matches-for-wood-details

    Environmentally Friendly · More Info

    jdrenth thanked housegal200
  • 10 years ago
    I would paint put your entire mantle and surround black..yes black...walls shanendoah taupe Benjamin Moore. I would add more textural pillows nothing satin or shiny more deep and rich tones. Pull colors out of rug. Remove all artificial flowers and plants.
  • 10 years ago
    Image 1-dark fireplace surround...fabulous!!!
    Image 2-Venetian mirror
    I would hang this mirror over fireplace.
    New pillows needed too...maybe some velvet in solid rich tones pulled from rug.
    jdrenth thanked zzmom40
  • 10 years ago

    The fireplace surround is beautiful......not sure my hubby would let me paint ours! Lol! You definitely gave me some other options and a different way to look at this room.

  • 10 years ago

    A favorite palette of mine is BM Navajo White for walls and White Dove for trim. Quite a classic look.

    Horse Country Home · More Info

    jdrenth thanked decoenthusiaste
  • 10 years ago
    Jdrenth...if not black their are many charcoal colors that would be the same depth of darkness that is on the mantle now and not as dramatic a change as black....just had to put the idea out there...your room is just waiting to be made into a chic Hollywood space...
  • 10 years ago
    Would you ever consider reupholstering just your chair it would be a perfect piece to bring in more black.
  • 10 years ago

    Um, black? With that nearby, gorgeous staircase in the warm wood, the floor, and all the warm colors? That would be so jarring. The trim in the room is so harmonious the way it is.

    jdrenth thanked housegal200
  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Farrow and Ball Pink Ground would look great.



  • 10 years ago

    Lucidos.....what an interesting color choice.....and I mean that in a good way! In my testosterone dominate household it would never fly.......the color will not only be in that room....it will also be in my foyer, lower hall and upstairs hall. Keeping this in mind for my bedroom however.

  • 10 years ago

    Zzmom....not looking for that big of a project.....but loved your ideas!

  • 10 years ago

    Thank you all for your input....sometimes it's hard to see your own room with a fresh eye! Heading out to get samples of BM Putnam Ivory, Manchester Tan and Muslin.

  • 10 years ago
    Have you considered beautiful, large-scale artwork over the fireplace to tie in all the colors you have now? Your room is lovely.
    jdrenth thanked alicejean
  • 10 years ago

    Will definitely do something different above the fireplace.....thanks!

  • 10 years ago

    The room needs a large scale mirror or art piece over the fireplace, I agree with Alicejean. If you choose art, let the new wall color complement it. Many colors of tan will coordinate well with the rug, pillows and upholstery. A yellow cream or light gold could work well.

    Please post again as you go along.

    jdrenth thanked apple_pie_order
  • 10 years ago
    Yes black Housegal200....it really looks fabulous..did you look at my image of the dark surround? Her staircase has black iron spindles and her rug has black animal print in it. Hey we are all asked for an idea so I suggested mine.
  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Maybe you could sell it to them as light salmon with red undertones :P. Is the darker color in the rug navy or black? If it is black I can see adding some additional black items. Oh and something very different for the fireplace clear etched glass in a deco design


    I can't do the thought justice but something like this.

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Back to the paint option: a deep pumpkin or burnt orange - something in that range but to match the rug and the woodwork. It would add a lot of flava.

    Sleepy Hollow Residence · More Info

    willmore residence · More Info

    jdrenth thanked User