Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
valal111

SEEDS For NEWBIES: The Newbie Seed Project January 2016

val (MA z6)
8 years ago

NEWBIE SEED PROJECT

JANUARY 2016

New thread for JANUARY 2016 requests ONLY.

If you are reading this thread and it's NOT JAN. 2016, this offer is expired (but look to see if there's one for the current month). Each month we will post a new thread if we still have seeds to offer.

New to gardening? New to Houzz/GW? Just getting started or coming back to gardening again?

I have packets of a variety of seeds to send out to those newbies who would like them, thanks to generous donations of a number of Houzz gardeners.

TO PARTICIPATE, PLEASE READ this post in FULL and follow the rules:

1. Post your request here and send me a Houzz message (or mail newbieseedproject@gmail.com)

I will send you my address. Include your Houzz name AND your REAL name.

Please enable your message capability so you can receive messages. (See post below that Leila was nice enough to compile Re TECH HELP -including setting up messaging) It's a good idea to set this up so you can communicate and trade with other Houzz users.

2. To receive a mailer of 20-30++ various types of seeds, you must send 8 “forever” stamps and a mailing label (or clearly print your name and address on a piece of paper I can tape to the envelope). I will provide bubble mailer. $4.50 paypal available; address provided upon request

3. Tell me if you prefer flower seeds, or veggies or a combination. If you dont let me know, I'll just send a variety of whatever. Dont post your wants on this thread, but you can include a wish list w/your stamps if you'd like. ...but please remember, packets are based on what has been donated. If I dont have it, I can't send it. I do not have a large selection of vegetables right now.

4. Use them in your garden, or if you want to trade some away - no problem. This project is to help get you started.

5. READ this thread for UPDATES

Have fun and Happy Gardening!

In addition:

If you’re new to the forums and haven’t read this post, you might find it helpful:

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/discussions/3371179/attention-newbies-please-read?n=33

SEE THREAD BELOW for TECH HELP

Comments (92)

• clthors
    8 years ago

Thank you! I received my seeds today.. It was just like Christmas.

• val (MA z6)
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Sent a message to all to date. I have received some stamps, and hope to get a number of pkgs ready to mail over the weekend

• Chris Cousineau
    8 years ago

That is great :) I ,ailed mine but with weather the way it is I am hoping they aren't delayed! I look forward to getting them, and am so grateful for all that are involved in these. Thank you for your generosity :)

• val (MA z6)
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I have received stamps from the following people:

Isabelle H., Susan J, Goldblush, Chris Cousineau, Chris Richards, Nicole C, Olivia, elliottly417, and Simone H. Will be sending these newbie packs out this week! Have a great weekend!

• Mica Master
    8 years ago

Thank You! I am soo giddy. :o)

• Chris Cousineau
    8 years ago

Oh I am so glad they got there! I can't wait :)

• Nicole
    8 years ago

I'm so excited! But I don't think my mailman is gonna make it in this snow lol

• val (MA z6)
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I'm so glad to see you are all eager in anticipation..but I haven't sent them out YET! Catching up this weekend; work week has been busy. Have a great weekend -- and hunker down if you're getting snowed on. Our "big storm" was downgraded to 1-3" Works for me! I'm also wintersowing: BUSY weekend!!

• Chris Cousineau
    8 years ago

Oh I am not in any big rush, we have a little over a foot of snow, roads are horrible, I am doing a lot of cooking at the moment, Work has been canceled for 4 days now because of all the ice on the roads. So I am cooking and freezing meals, and catching up on housework. I decided to brush out my Pyrenees and now have a ton of fur to contend with. I am putting it outside for the birds to use in nests. It always surprises me how many stick around in all this snow and ice. I filled my feeders and have quite a few birds visiting.

• oliviajb88
    8 years ago

Great! I'm so excited

• val (MA z6)
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Chris, where are you? So glad you're feeding the birds..I KNOW they appreciate it! I'm outside Boston and we're only supposed to get 3" but started early and put in most of the day into WS'ing. I am feeling very accomplished :O) More to do tomorrow, tho! Snow's coming down heavily (little flakes). Will be interesting to see how much we get. Have a GOOD weekend, everyone....stay warm and safe, everyone!

• Chris Cousineau
    8 years ago

I am in Bristol,Tn right on the Va border. Some of our snow was from the last storm. We got a total of about 8 inches from this current one. And I felt so bad for the poor little birds. Its windy, cold and still snowing I have noticed them flying off with the dog fur I put out. He has a heavy undercoat so I am sure they are liking the extra warmth from that.

• jensyen ( z7 MD )
    8 years ago

Hi Val,

I just put a package of vegetable seeds in the mail for you today. I had to check the viability & germination on them since I harvested them from my garden. They all seem good.

• val (MA z6)
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks so much Jen,

MUCH APPRECIATED!

val

• Enrique Giuliano
    8 years ago

Hello im very interested in this, i'll message you. I hope its not too late..

• val (MA z6)
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Matt J. received your stamps;

all other packets have gone out or will go out today if I've received your stamps

Enrique - message answered

Happy planting, to all of you! :)

• Mica Master
    8 years ago

Val, you are awesome... Received seeds today. Oh MY, could not believe the variety. I am sooooooo excited to get my planting on. I will need a few extra tables this year to get my winter sowing going. Thank you very much you rock. God Bless :o)

• goldblush
    8 years ago

Val, you're a star! I just received the wonderful bounty of seeds you sent. I'm utterly tickled. Thank YOU and all the other generous gardeners for this lovely starter kit. Come spring come:)! Thank you again!

• val (MA z6)
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I love how I get to take all the credit and alot of the great seeds you are receiving are thanks to the generous donors here :) I'm so pleased to be able to help you all out by putting together the packets. Please feel free to post pics of your flowers you grew with newbie seeds (or any in general). Always love seeing everyone's garden pics! So glad you are all pleased with your goodie packages!

• Chris Cousineau
    8 years ago

Got my seeds today and am super happy! I can't wait to start planting in the spring! Thank you so very much, to everyone that has a hand in this!

• Leah Rowland
    8 years ago

Hello! I'm sending my email now. Thanks!

• Cami R
    8 years ago

Hello val(6a)! I am going to send you a Houzz message right now. Thanks!

• susan Jensen
    8 years ago

Thank you for the huge see packs, I have more than Needed, so I can start helping the community too. Thank you!! And thank you all for sending in the seeds, so I can have a colorful and fragrant yard coming up.

• val (MA z6)
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Olivia,

Thank you for the extra $5 cash you sent with your stamps. I was running low on tape and this will help with supplies. That was very generous and much appreciated!

• Stephanie Tomczewski
    8 years ago

Is it too late for me to be added to this? its still January (barely). I will send you my email asap

• val (MA z6)
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Messages to sent to all who posted above (to date)

• Lena Ann
    8 years ago

Have you got my stamps yet? I sent them out over a week ago and haven't heard back yet. Really excited to get my seeds.

• Lily Ng
    8 years ago

I hope I am not too late for this project!! Finally moved to new home with a lovely backyard where I can start gardening. Will send you email asap.

• Marie
    8 years ago

Hi! Jumping on the band wagon here. I'm making my first home vegetable and flower garden and would love a package of surprise seeds for getting started. I can't wait to join the garden community here! The seed exchange community is such a beautiful concept.

• val (MA z6)
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Lena, I just got your stamps yesterday. i have a commitment today, but will get a package out as soon as I can.

Lily and Marie,

I'm very pleased to see so many newbies joining the garden forums - WELCOME! We look forward to getting to know you and hearing about your gardens, etc. this coming year! However, PLEASE NOTE: This offer is for US gardeners only. I cannot mail out of the country.

• Nicole
    8 years ago

Thank you Val and your donors for the seeds!!! I just got them today and it was such a delight!! I cannot wait for spring to come, I don't know what I'm going to plant first. Thank you all again for your generosity and kindness! Now (after I learn to save seeds properly) I'll have something to trade in the fall :)

• val (MA z6)
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Matt J, Cami & Javier - your seeds went out Monday

Lena, I am mailing yours today

• Javier Turek
    8 years ago

Thanks a lot Val!!

Will be waiting for the package to arrive :)

• Chris Richards
    8 years ago

Val, I received my package the other day and couldn't believe the quantity and quality of everything you sent. A big thank you to you and all the donors who helped out. This will definitely help me get off my feet and have a successful year. Thank you again.

• val (MA z6)
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Pkgs going out in tomorrows mail to John R, Julie C-M, Lael A., Leah R., and Laura S -- ENJOY!

• Leah Rowland
    8 years ago

Thanks Val, can't wait for the seeds!

• Katherine Martin
    8 years ago

Hi val! I would like a pack of seeds! I am getting started this year as I know have a back yard!

• Javier Turek
    8 years ago

Hi, my packet arrived today and...

WOW!!!! I have no words to thank you Val and the donors for such a huge gratitude and effort. I was not expecting this! I'm very excited and cannot wait to start planting with my family :)

• Cami R
    8 years ago

I received my seeds!!! Thank you SO much – this is the best gift ever. Now I have some research to do in order to learn about what all of these seeds will grow!

• Leah Rowland
    8 years ago

Thank you so much for all the seeds, Val! I'm very much looking forward to getting them started...

• Lena Ann
    8 years ago

Just got my seeds. Thank you so much!!! I am amazed at how many there are.

• Debi Matlack
    8 years ago

I have seeds to send to you for the Newbie packets but I lost your address. I'm so sorry I haven't gotten them to you sooner, the holidays and Real Life happened and frankly, 2016 is for crap thus far, but I want to get these out to you since you very kindly sent me some seeds last years right after we moved. Please let me know where to send them and I'll get them out to you right away.

• M. A.
    8 years ago

I got my seeds a few weeks ago and just started several varieties. Thank you very much!

• goldblush
    7 years ago

Val, I wanted to update you and all the generous gardeners, on the seeds you gave us earlier this year. Here is how my garden looks today:

As you can see, the bumblebees are happy and so am I! Thank you again:)!

• val (MA z6)
    Original Author
    7 years ago

LOVELY!! Thanks so much for checking in again and sharing your beautiful photos

• Javier Turek
    7 years ago

This is how my garden beds are progressing...

• val (MA z6)
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Javier, Everything looks great! I LOVE seeing your gardens! Thanks so much for sharing!!!

• ascarygnome
    7 years ago

Received the newbie veggie pack, awesome. Thank you Val and all who donated seeds so I can start my garden!

• Erika Hartmann
    7 years ago

I would love a pack of these to start my garden! I will PM you! Thanks!

• val (MA z6)
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Erika, this is the old 2016 (Jan). thread.

Please post to January 2017 :D thread and we'll be in touch!

THANK YOU!!

UPDATE TO ALL:

This is an OLD posting - from Jan. 2016 - please do not post here; but look for our current month's posting.

THANKS

Sponsored
Buckeye Restoration & Remodeling Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Central Ohio's Premier Home Remodelers Since 1996