I enjoyed reading about your exotic species and zone pushing in Canada. Where I live is very challenging to grow, too. I am planting trees that are borderline here in se Wyoming where it's very cold (though not as cold as where you are, but I would bet that our growing seasons are similar) windy and high n elevation (7,000 ft) with crappy soil. I planted a northern red oak, northern pin oak, oak leaf mountain ash and a bur oak.
Anyway, I wanted to suggest a tree/shrub for you. Bigtooth maple, Acer granditentatum. I probably polled that wrong, sorry. My dad has one that's ten or more years old and is about 15 Ft tall. It's a multi stemmed specimen. Anyway, it's a beautiful plant that I think might work for you. It has survived a -30 f spell so it's hardy.
Good luck with your trees! Keep us updated!
davidpeaceriver__2b
L Clark (zone 4 WY)Original Author
Related Professionals
Athens Landscape Architects & Landscape Designers · Macon Landscape Architects & Landscape Designers · York Landscape Architects & Landscape Designers · Fredericksburg Landscape Architects & Landscape Designers · Kennewick Landscape Architects & Landscape Designers · Greenfield Landscape Contractors · Middletown Landscape Contractors · Hudson Landscape Contractors · Eureka Landscape Contractors · Dalton Basement Remodeling · Chattanooga Basement Remodeling · Fort Wayne Basement Remodeling · Utica Basement Remodeling · Victorville Basement Remodeling · London Basement Remodelingdavidpeaceriver__2b