Software
Houzz Logo Print
matttilka

I don't wanna commit a sin

10 years ago

So, this is my Jens Risom playboy chair (and my cat). It's a real one... tags and everything. I've 're- upholstered the seat and I want to put the seat fabric on the backrest. However, I've gotten some pushback on that idea as the cane is in great shape, and likely original.

I don't plan on ever selling the chair, so somehow harming the value isn't my issue. I just don't want to commit a crime against nature by removing the cane for a fabric back that isn't original. There were production models of this chair with fabric backs, so the cane isn't ubiquitous.


What do you fine folks think?

Comments (15)

  • 10 years ago

    Looks great as is

    matttilka thanked pitbulls
  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Persoally, i'd do the back. Love your cat.

    matttilka thanked tooky58
  • 10 years ago

    hmmmm, the cat has tags or the chair? Do what you want with the chair. yes, if it is that valuable and special you are committing a sin. but if you don't care about ruining it, then why should you care about the sin. If we are talking about the cat, just enjoy him as he is.

    matttilka thanked havingfun
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    I would leave it like that, unless you absolutely have to have fabric. Then go ahead, and not worry what the chair was originally like. Hope this helps.

    matttilka thanked Helga Simmons Interior Design LLC
  • 10 years ago

    Personally I think it's the cane back that finishes that chair off and I would not want to permanently alter it.

    matttilka thanked anthip
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    There is nothing you can do with furniture that is a sin.....other than to steal it, or throw it at someone and end up killing them : ) Change it and have fun.

    matttilka thanked JAN MOYER
  • PRO
    10 years ago

    It’s your chair have at er.

    matttilka thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • 10 years ago

    Do what will make you happy, but I have to say the texture of the cane looks really good.

    matttilka thanked fox51
  • 10 years ago

    While I'm not in love with the cane, the cane in and of itself isn't really the root of the problem. This is a picture of both the living room chairs (and my other cat... they really love that chair). I'm worried that if I keep the cane, the two chairs won't have enough in common to actually "go" together.


    I know that it is okay to have two different accent chairs so long as they share enough similar characteristics. My two chairs already have quite a few dissimilarities (different wood, different shape, different scale) and I have this nagging feeling that if I upholster the back of the Jens Risom chair, the two will work better together.


    Any thoughts about that are appreciated.


  • 10 years ago

    Although I think you were on the right track with the geometric pattern on the Jens Risom chair I am feeling that it does not have enough presence to compete with the batik paisley. Your image is pretty yellowed but I'm thinking something like this fabric would give it more attention without competition.

    Also a larger more solid table between the chairs.
    The smaller table would look great on the hearth.

    matttilka thanked lucidos
  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    I always forget that lines count as geometrics. Thank you. As to the table, it is missing one of the saucer sections, which would make it look a little bigger. I'll have the missing piece back before too long. But, you're right, a bigger table would look better. Space is at a premium on that side of the room though. I still need to be able to access the sliding door. Ill play around with the dimensions and see what I can accommodate.

    Thanks

  • 10 years ago

    So, I moved the smaller table to the hearth, and I got a bigger table to sit between the two chairs. I also kept the cane because I found a fabric that I thought looked good with the cane back of the Jens Risom chair (piictured). However, I liked the fabric with the cane so much that I went ahead and did it without really thinking too hard about the other, paisley, chair.

    Is there anything I can do to make the two chairs blend better?

    Thanks!

  • 7 years ago

    Great fabric choice. They complement each other without sacrificing personality. Color and straight angular shape makes them cohesive.

    matttilka thanked Cecilia Bracker
  • 7 years ago

    3 year old post.