Software
Houzz Logo Print
terral16

Kitchen project

10 years ago
Hello All!

Starting my kitchen project and at my wits with figuring out a nice color for my kitchen. Undecided if I should get new cabinets or sand then down and just add knobs. Of course the tile and back splash would have to go!!!!! Please HELP!!!!

Comments (25)

  • 10 years ago

    Adding hardware will make such a huge difference. I would go with oil rubbed bronze in cup shapes for the drawers & chunky square or round for the doors. Do a little at a time if this kitchen is new to you. Also adding a different color paint such as an almost white teal to your walls will change the whole look.

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    When you say tile and back splash, do you mean you are removing the granite slab counters? I don't know what your budget is like, but I would keep the slab and cabinets, replace the back splash with a white glossy subway or glass tile and changing the floor to a grey tone. Your cabinets don't look like they are in bad shape, by the one photo. Maybe just change out the doors and use euro-style hinges instead of the exposed ones.

  • 10 years ago
    Yes! I would like to change the tile on the floor and back splash. I love the granited counter top. At the moment my kitchen is painted a Moroccan red
  • 10 years ago
    Added more pics
  • 10 years ago
    PT & S ....when you speak of white glossy subway and glass tile where can I find?
  • 10 years ago

    Good grief. White gloss subway tile... with that gorgeous earth tone granite?! Seriously Presidio? Now proceeding with stunned silence..

  • 10 years ago
    Rusty empire....I don't think I've even seen a glossy subway what does it look like?
  • 10 years ago

    White subway is this...

    Cedar Lake Renovation · More Info

    That PTS want you to use combined with this... (aka your granite)

    For the love of God Terra don't do this! I'm sure Presidio are a swell group of people, but this is so wrong headed it can't be described as advice.

  • 10 years ago
    Thanks Rusty! I just took a look at it and that's definitely not a look that I'm looking for
  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Whew! Thanks Terra. And as for the "white Teal" suggestion above, don't even get me started. I need a drink or a tranquilizer gun. Maybe both.

  • 10 years ago
    Ha! I knew better
  • 10 years ago

    We'll give this a bump tomorrow to bring it up in the queue. Or try re-posting with your kitchen picture showing the whole room, then the close ups of stone etc. Hopefully fresh insight will prevail. Cheers Terra.

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    I agree white subway tile would not be the way to go. There are so many tiles or even mosaic tiles (in glass or a mix of glass with natural stone or marble) in earth tones that would go much better with your counter tops. Check Arizona Tile and Dal Tile.

  • 10 years ago
    Will do Rusty!
  • 10 years ago
    Dorothy thank you!!!!!!!
  • 10 years ago

    grey glass tile or other backsplash tile choices in grey tones will pick up the grey in the granite and cool down all the warm tones. my assumption is you are not considering painting the cabinets? a complementary warm grey paint will give it an updated look and give more life to the oak cabinets.

    are you really thinking of replacing the tile floor? if so, that is a perfect opportunity to change the floor plan to exactly what you want.

    if you don't want to replace the cabinets, give them a punch of impact with a coat of varathane coloured varnish finish.

    terral16 thanked kathleen currie
  • 10 years ago

    Wow! Andrea! I love the look! what color is that?

  • 10 years ago

    Good Morning Katinahat! Yes I would paint the cabinets and I am looking for that contemporary look! Any shade of gray? light, dark or soft? The gray are warming colors :-). Yes! my plan is to replace the floor as well.....so I would need to fine a tile for the floor as well.

  • 10 years ago
    The brown looks like a Chocolate candy brown by Benjamin Moore

    And the white cabinets most paint there cabinets the desired white and then they get a gel stain for them and give them the antique look. I have heard that chalk paint works even better. There are many step my step pages on Pinterest. You just really put the stain on the dry doors you painted, and then you wipe it off (not to throughly though) it leaves the stain in the creases and will leave the antique look. You will also need some form of clear coat.
  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Terra here's a quick bump for you. But I also wanted to share with you the Sherwin Williams site that tells you mess around with colors on an uploaded photo. For this quick example (I'm rushing here) this was just a snap of your counters next to some paint swatches. This is just for demonstration purposes but you can see similar colors picked up in the stone. I wouldn't recommend doing color selection via monitor but instead with the stone next to paint chips. PS Anew Grey and Gateway Gray look like a close match. Cheers.

  • 10 years ago

    And don't go DIY unless you really know what you're doing - have them pre-sanded, primed and sprayed professionally. Consumer grade paint is a poor choice vs. the stuff the pros use.

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    I personally can't stand grey with the salmon color that's in the granite. Maybe white is stark, but there looked to be a lot of white quartz spots in her granite. Perhaps cream would be better, but I would avoid browns and tans or else she will be looking at the same colors she already has.

  • 10 years ago

    gotcha!

  • 10 years ago

    It is cream