0

zinnia seeds

sorie6

I've got orange and white ones from last yrs. plants and I want to grow them again.

Would you winter sow them or start them in the house? I want plants as early a possible.Thanks

• SA Sterle

I have done winter sowing over the past two winters. I had entertained the thought of doing zinnias but didn't do it at the recommendation of others. Apparently zinnias germinate too rapidly and need to be in the ground sooner than what our growing conditions are. I'm zone 3. So, to answer your question, I've not done it per suggestions of others. Hopefully you'll receive comments from others providing their experience. I don't have the benefit of a greenhouse. Happy gardening.

• sorie6

Thanks. I don't have a green house either. I'd just start them in the house.

• diggerdee zone 6 CT

I've wintersown zinnias for 10 years with no problem whatsoever. One of my most reliable wintersowers! I'm in zone 6, if that makes a difference? It looks like you are also in zone 6, so I would give them a try. If you are worried about losing any, do some by WSing and start the others indoors. I have such dismal results with indoor starting that I would feel safer WSing them, lol, but that is my experience; others may do better with indoor starting.

Good luck!

• duane456

I use the winter sow technique. I just sow them in April.

• heavenlyfarm

Winter sow them in April :) Don't do them to early or they will die if they sprout too soon during a warm spell! :) I've done great with zinnias the last two years doing it this way!

~Michael

heavenlyfarm

• Campanula UK Z8

If any tender annuals do really well from direct sowing in May - it must be zinnias. Nice fat seeds, easily handled and placed in position, cover and wait...less than a week usually. You can muck about growing them under lights (they are short-day flowers) and can be forced into really early flowering...but then you will have to maintain temperatures both day and night.

• sorie6

Thanks everyone!!!

• SA Sterle

This is welcome information for me as well. I have the seeds and will be doing winter sowing of zinnia but modifying the planting time to April. I love zinnias. Thank you to all.