Shop Products
fragrant2008

New year new flowers ;)

Just made a list of all the plants i have that I have never seen flower before and with a bit of luck i hope will flower for me this year.

Here is my list all are supposed to be very fragrant! is there anything you are hoping will flower this year for you

1: psoralea pinnata

2: MAGNOLIA NITIDA

3: HOYA LAUTERBACHII

4: Cyrtanthus stenanthus var. stenanthus

5: EPIPHYLLUM PEGASUS

6: hoya onychoides

7: hoya gracilis

8: Artabotrys hexapetalus

9: Stemmadenia galeottiana

10: Clematis Fragrant Oberon

11: MAGNOLIA DAYBREAK

12: VIBURNUM CARLESII

13: CITRUS LIMON X C PARADISI

15: Kumquat fukushu

16: Tillandsias Straminea

17: PAMIANTHE AMARYLLIDACEAE (STILL SMALL PLANTS)

• 8 years ago

Damn you, Brian. You know I printed this off, right? ;)

Some that come to mind are Randia ruiziana, Hedychium 'Dr Moy', Brassavola 'Killani Stars' and Brugmansia 'Green Bank'.

• 8 years ago

Wow, what a list Brian!

I'm especially curious of your clematis & Stemmadeni.

Nothing exotic over here.....

• 8 years ago

The list will grow a bit more by spring time! still a few more i have down to order just waiting for warmer weather :P and i think i will have to add Randia ruiziana to that order list going on logees description thanks Robert :P

I am really looking forward to Clematis Fragrant Oberon and it is loaded with buds :)

• 8 years ago

Great Brian.

I'm looking forward to your report on Fragrant Oberon!

I forgot to mention, I'm looking forwards to Robert's fragrant clematis, this spring/summer ;-)

• 8 years ago

Let's hope my Clematis 'Sugar-Sweet Lilac' finally blooms this year! :)

http://forums.gardenweb.com/discussions/1902110/clematis-sugar-sweet-blue

• 8 years ago

I knew it had suga somewhere !

• 8 years ago

Robert, Logee's says Randia ruiziana, is a winter bloomer. Shouldn't it be blooming by now?

• 8 years ago

One would think randia would be blooming but mine still hasn't. :(

Maybe I'm giving it too many hours of light (it gets around 16 hours of T5 lights in my bedroom), maybe the temps need to drop in the evenings, maybe mine is not large enough though mine is almost 3 feet across now!, maybe I'm not fertilizing it enough or meeting some other cultural requirement, etc. This will probably be the last time I grow it since I've limited space. :)

• 8 years ago

Amazon lily guys! This one is the bane of my existence, ok maybe not so much as gardenias. I just purchased the Christine cultivar in addition to Eucharis amzonica which I've had for about 5 years or so.

• 8 years ago

Okay people, one of you need to get this Cerbera x manghas hybrid - Enchanted Incense and tell us whether the scent is as intoxicating as TopTrop has put it. ;)

My "want" for this year :))
    http://toptropicals.com/cgi-bin/garden_catalog/cat.cgi?uid=Cerbera_sp

• 8 years ago

Robert, sorry to hear that, this is from Logee's site:

To bring Randia into bloom you must allow the flower buds to form in
    late summer and early fall on the old wood; therefore, only prune once
    flowering is complete. This South American native has an open branching
    habit and can be grown under moderate light.

• 8 years ago

Thank you. I've never pruned mine (hence why it's almost 3 feet across!). Knowing me I'll probably get rid of it come high summer when I get sick of watering 5 million potted plants. Laugh.

Kemistry, you know you're evil for tempting us with that beauty, right? ;)

• 8 years ago

Here is another link, maybe it's the pot size...

• 8 years ago

Ha! You want mine to get even bigger! :)

• 8 years ago

Nope, I want you to show off the flowers in Blooming in Jan/Feb 2017! ;-)

• 8 years ago

Omg i want that plant now!! thanks Kemistry and the list grows :P

• 8 years ago

It does look similar to a plumeria, doesn't it? :)

Fragrant, don't forget boronia and luculia ;) Wish these are more readily available.

• 8 years ago

Yes and interesting leaf color i have to say i have given up on the Boronia i wanted :( looked everywhere for it and can only find it in Australia and they will not post it to the uk :(

• 8 years ago

What's interesting is that they are supposed to root easily (boronia and luculia).... A few years ago I saw luculia on ebay; a tiny teeny plant for $50 or so. I should have bought it back then :))

Now I feel like wanting to re-try the plants that I once had (ie michelia figo, osmanthus fragrans, etc..) The want list is growing longer now... maybe it's because Spring is near. :))

I wonder how many plumeria Robert has now? Lol.

• 8 years ago

Maggie try finding mandshurica
    , x triternata Rubromarginata, (almond scented) the and the monster terniflora (Sweet Autumn). There is also Sweet Summer Love apparently with a different scent. Betty Corning is big, long flowering and has nice scent.

If you are patient to grow from seed there are koreana 'Fragrans'

and lightly lemon scented serratifolia and the herbaceous heracleifolia.

Of course then you have the montanas, which I believe you had one.

If you have a greenhouse there is a very fragrant and very rare, clematis akoensis.

Is that enough ?!

If not I have a list somewhere....

• 8 years ago

While everyone is about and around, I was wondering if anyone has grown:

Begonia venosa
    Begonia solananthera

Pelargonium glaucifolium

• 8 years ago

True, I confess I've never grown anything from seed. Although if I find seeds for parma violets I might give it a go. I just got an email that the nursery finally has the sugar sweets! $21 so not sure if I should get both - Ifeel guilty cos I've been spending a lot on my new saltwater tank:(

• 8 years ago

Great news!

BTW I got the first 4 clematis from the now defunct Garden Import. I'm sure there are suppliers somewhere in Canada.

• 8 years ago

fragrant2008, FRAGRANT OBERON!!! I've been looking for one for 3 years now. When I was trying to decide which clematis to purchase I had to settle on a couple of others which I like but I WANT the Oberon! Where did you get it? Are you in the UK? Seems like that is the only place to get it and it is common. I feel so deprived... It must be great since it is on your list for fragrance. I fell in love with it based on photos I saw on the internet.

• 8 years ago

Yes in the U.K rhoder551 most of the plant nurseries over here now have it in stock :) but there is a big list of plants they do not!! and i only seem to see in America :(

• 8 years ago

fragrant2008, I'm in Northern California where it is fairly dry normally and now we are in the middle of a serious drought. I guess that means I need to get all clematis plans out of my head since I know they need plenty of water. I looked at the clematis offerings at the nursery a few days ago and they just had 1 pitiful looking specimen but I still considered buying it but I'm going to hold out for the Oberon. My 4 look fine but I rarely see clematis planted in this area, usually just armandii.... This is a good place for oleander and succulents.....

• 8 years ago

Brian did your fragrant Oberon bloom? What was the verdict?

• 8 years ago

I am afraid not true blue weather has been a nightmare cold front right across europe temps 10c lower then what they should be! Snow frosts

last photo is growers trying to keep there crops warm by lighting fires

• 8 years ago

It is still in full bud! just sitting there waiting for a little warmth

• 8 years ago

Wow Brian, I'm so sorry to hear that. I feel for you. We've had a similar spring. Looking forward to the update.

• 8 years ago

I have the cerbera x manghas hybrid and it just opened today! I collect fragrant plants and cant help but to keep adding to my collection. I recommend brunfelsia lactea,its an extremely fragrant nightbloomer with an awesome fragrance. Michelia alba,michelia figo and osmanthus fragrans are very strong as well. Pakalana vine has a strong lemon like fragrance mostly at night. If anyone would like to talk message me at kenselbobby@gmail.com

• 8 years ago

Thank you for your comment :) i have all the above apart from Pakalana vine so i will keep a eye out for it :)

• 7 years ago

I'm a collector of smallish fragrant plants. My favourites are:

1. Brunsfelsia americana (the longest flowering brunsfelsia i've found). Fragapani type fragrance in the evenings during the warmer months.

1. Phalaenopsis 'Tzu Chiang Balm' (photo below). Fresh lemon fragrance mid-morning each day on this tiny, easy to grow orchid over many months. A little sun and some liquid fertilizer will keep it performing.

1. Chinese Glory Bower (Clerodendrum fragrans pleniflorum, Clerodendron philippinum); wafting sweet perfume. Keep in a large pot as it can spread via underground suckers. Needs moist well fertilised soil and half day sun to give you maximum fruit candy fragrance during the day over the warmer months.
    2. Amacrinum; a hybrid of a belladonna lily (amaryllis) an a crinum. Large bunches of attractive night-fragrant flowers several times in summer and autumn.

5. Singapore Pink plumeria (dwarf frangapani). Lemon fragrant flowers during the warmer months.

6. Luculia gratissima 'Fragrant Cloud' (photo below); stunning, unique and addictive fragrance over numerous weeks in early spring - the fragrance wafts long distances from this medium shrub which enjoys a lightly shaded spot - a must-have, if you have the space. Prune after flowering to keep compact.

1. Lilium 'Kushi Maya', 'Lankon' - both highly fragrant at night. Cut flowers just as they begin to open and place quickly in water. A single flower will fill a large room with fragrance for a week or so.
    2. Fragrant Muscari (Muscari Muscarimi); a very special scent on this tiny bulbous plant reminds me of exotic spices.
  • 6 years ago

smileclick

Luculia gratissima «Ароматное облако», как я об этом мечтаю!

скажите, где вы его купили? Я буду очень благодарен вамЯ также собиратель экзотических растений и редких суккулентов. Если кто-нибудь захочет поговорить со мной на nanatagrand@gmail.com

Буду рад новым знакомствам и коммуникациям

• 3 years ago

Don’t waste your money. I purchased two of these and I am very disappointed in their fragrance. What fragrance there is is very sweet but not any where near intense as described! Their fragrance is very faint to me ! Beautiful plants though!